My experience with TRIDERMA

Want to talk about treating your rosacea with natural treatments and dietary supplements ? This is the forum for you.

My experience with TRIDERMA

Postby Red Rose » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Yeah i like that icon that blushes...looks like my face...lol...anyway, i found this forum thanks to Cathy-Crabby posting about that Rosacea Cure ebook (by the by THANKS AGAIN CATHY!). I have had rosacea for 5 years now and doctors can't come to an agreement, some say it's dermatitis, others seborrhea, but they always come up with a different diagnosis. So got tired of paying copays for appointments and prescriptions that didn't work, or that worked for a little bit but the relief didn't last. I have been researching, and have found so many websites and forums, have tried different remedies. For a while applying mango peeling directly to my skin helped soothing the itch and redness but it would come back. It is hard to find a natural approach to rosacea, especially when most products have corticosteroids, which are nothing but a joke! (in my personal case). But if you want to hear how i came about the cream that has helped me overcome my rosacea problem, you just need to pay the affordable amount of $29.99 plus tax...hahaha...JUST KIDDING! (i've watched so many informecials i had to throw in a joke...lol...i hate them people who try to sell useful information that would help others so much, instead of sharing it with everyone. Cures should be public and common knowledge, but oh well)

So, I tried apple cider vinegar on my red itchy face...the first 24 hours my itch was diminished almost completely however my redness got worse and my skin dried so bad it started peeling almost every 8 hours. It was really strange and not very aesthetic. I tried olive oil to soothe the dryness and softly remove the dead skin peel. Then it was more like my skin was going to bleed. So i washed it with Cetaphil and went to the local Walgreens. To my surprise i found something in their facial care area, near cosmetics. Where they have all their facial creams there was this one made by TriDerma, the box states in blue letters "Facial redness Repair, fast healing for sensitive skin, medical strenght, essential botanicals help prevent rosacea flare-ups, vitamin K fights broken capillaries". So, i thought to myself "ah what the heck, if it doesn't work at least i tried, not like my face can get any redder and itchier"...

So at $12.99 plus tax per cream i bought it as well as some tea tree oil and lysine caplets. The lysine might take some time to work since it's taken orally but this Triderma cream is awesome. I ran out to my car and put it on my skin as soon after i bought it, i could feel my skin absorbing it so i put another layer, and 30 minutes later it felt so soft and soothed i almost cried in relief. Honestly i thought i was going to look like a red apple faced monster for the rest of my life .

I have been using this Triderma cream for a week (yes, that's how fast it's worked for me), applying it 4 to 5 times a day now. When i started i would put it more often but as my skin improves i have to apply it less often. I wish i had taken pictures of my before and after, but honestly i was not in the mood for pictures, and my self esteem has taken a big plunge. Slowly but surely my skin redness is going down and it feels so soft to the touch and moisturized.

They have a variety of creams for many skin issues, check out their website: www.triderma.com
I just had to contact them and tell them how great their cream has improved my skin. It has no cortisones and no steroirds and their main ingredients are Aloe Vera, vitamin K and some algae extract.

Give it a try! Before i found this cream i did more research on the internet and almost bought some creams from a chinese doctor who claims that all or most skin disorders are caused by demodex mites. But i honestly wanted to try something i didn't have to wait for in the mail while my skin got worse. Anyway, i also have been using tea tree oil applied on my red areas twice a week. I cut some particular food off my diet since i know they've not helped my rosacea and general health, like shellfish, pork, red meats, milk, spicy sauces and i watch my sugar and carb intake. Also i drink more water, more often and joined the 2009 challenge to lose weight at http://www.transformation.com I came to the realization that i have let myself go and maybe this rosacea is a symptom of my health carelessness.

I hope this is helpful for you, and if you decide to try the cream please let me know if it worked for you as great as it has worked for me!
(;)

Just a quick update: from the time i wrote the post above to date i can say that my rosacea has cleared up almost completelly. The Triderma products have soothed the external topical symptoms, however i am still working on the internal part, which can lead to better control on preventing flare-ups. I still get some redness after running, but anytime you get physically active some redness will occur, can't help that i guess. As far as make up i am trying Physicians Formula mineral wear tinted mosisturizer colored cream, it has SPF15, non-comedogenic and was formulated for skin prone to break outs or irritation. It's so light you don't even notice it and has worked excellent with my skin. Been doing changes to the foods i eat to somehow control the triggers, these are the changes that have worked for me: No caffeine, No margarine or hydrogenated oils, including mayo which is 100% fat. Use olive, grape seed or macadamia nut for your oil needs instead. Read product labels carefully. Keep your fat intake to 10-15% of daily calorie intake. No pork or shellfish (pigs can't sweat so we ingest their toxins when we eat. While shellfish feed on waste, in part that's why they are high in mercury). No luncheon meat. These typically contain sodium nitrate, a known cause of colon cancer. No dairy products, except skim or fat free. No alcohol (it decreases the body' s ability to burn fat by almost 35%). Cut bread consumption to one slice of whole grain bread per day. Avoid aspartame, or NutraSweet, which interferes with the blood sugar regulation in your body. Researchers also theorize that use of aspartame can cause people to actually gain weight. Avoid any products containing MSG (monosodium glutamate).

Also drinking more water helps a lot! i didn't know i was getting dehydration headaches, and that low lever of water within my system was also a trigger for my skin to dry out and affect my rosacea directly. Also being hydrated can help you lose weight, i didn't know that we sometimes mistake thirst for hunger. And colon detox, it has helped a great deal. Here's the link on how i did it if you'd like to give it a try http://www.ehow.com/how_4758159_cleanse-colon-detox.html. For daily fiber intake i found the Hodgson Mills brand (milled flax seed) to be a great way to get Omega 3's and fiber every day, and can use it in many foods without even noticing it. Also taking cod iver oil gives you more Omega 3's which are excellent for your skin. Have lost 20 lbs since january and believe it or not it has also helped in the rosacea flare-up healing process since it is closely related to your cardiovascular function (broken capillaries that cause the redness). So it's a process, a bit on the lenghty side don't give up! it's all trial and error and finding what works for you!

Washing the bed linens more often and vacuuming the matress i sleep on and dusting more often is a great way to prevent demodex mites, which can also be a trigger not only for rosacea but for other skin irritations/illnesses.

Please share your personal findings, what has worked for you. If you try the Triderma products or anything i have mentioned in my post please update and post your personal viewpoint. What works for some might not work for others however sharing the information and personal experiences is always a great source of knwoledge, help and hope.
Last edited by Red Rose on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#4000FF]There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore.And who always will.So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.[/color]
Red Rose
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: My experience with TRIDERMA

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 am

Hello there!

I took your advice and bought the Triderma. It was one of the few items that didn't burn when I was having my bad flare a week or so ago. I'm going to use it again tonight, actually, since I'm flaring again.

Let us know how the lysine goes. I might start taking mine again once my skin calms down, just to see. It can't hurt, and last time, I didn't take it long enough to see any effects.

I have cut out dairy myself, but it's so hard for me to cut out sugar (in my teas). I have read that sugar does cause inflammation (Dr. Perricone, I think, and Dr. Weil) but I can't have tea without it.

I love your avatar, by the way! (;)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:45 am

CrabbyCathy wrote:I love your avatar, by the way! (;)

Well, I love the signature quote:

There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore.And who always will.So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

A few days ago I paraphrased it very badly to someone through not remembering the wording correctly but couldn't recall where I'd seen it, so it's terrific to have it brought up again. Thanks, Cathy and Red Rose. :)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Colon cleansing has helped, too!

Postby Red Rose » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi Cathy! Hi Aurelia! thanks for your replies...i snatched the signature from an email i got from a friend :P and the avatar is an old icon i had stored in my computer...i love Hello Kitty...anyway...just a quick update. I've kept taking the lysine, but honestly i don't know if it's working together with the Triderma cream or not. My last and worst flare up has been under control ever since i started using the Triderma. I still have the patches but it's funny because they're just mildly pinkish and have decreased in size. They have stopped peeling (which feels so great!) I have noticed though that the ability for my facial skin to heal by itself has diminished tremendously the past year. I have always got a few pimples on my cheecks by the middle of the month, nothing serious, and it usually took 2-3 days for them to be gone. Well, now they take longer, which is why i have come to notice the change in the healing process. I did the horrible mistake of picking on one of the mentioned zits (i know...eeeewwww! sorry, had to mention it) and it is taking forever for the skin in that area to heal. I think i am going to stop the lysine and instead i'm going to take a supplement called "hair, skin and nails"...i saw it at the local Walgreens and i am curious to see if it would actually help.
I have been checking out Dr. Ted Broer's materials, i came across some of his info while watching John Hagee and other Christian channels. He mentioned so many things that are so true and made sense, for example:
- Sodas, either regular or diet are really bad for the body, becuase they either have tons of sugar or they have sweetener which if taken for too long in big quantities can trigger cancer.
- Why Jews don't eat pork (or shouldn't) see, pigs don't sweat so their meat is packed with toxines! so imagine, if we are what we eat! super eeewww!
- Lobster and shrimps (snif, i used to love them) eat the waste from the bottom of the sea, so they're the ocean equivalent of roaches, and that's why they have so much mercury in them (remember now that doctors tell pregnant women to stay away from shellfish and seafood). Now he does encourage people to eat fish, because they have the Omega acids and excellent protein, just stick to big sized fish. Salmon, tilapia, even tuna are fine and similar fish.
- He mentions that human body wasn't made to keep drinking milk during adulthood, that's not natural. He recommends goat's milk or to just cut it out of your diet, he does encourage the use of whey (which is the protein from the milk, the usable part) for a morning shake with your breakfast that will help you feel filled up and energetic (i also drink the whey shake for snack).
- The importance of colon cleansing using cleansers that are based on Psyllium seed and flaxseed powder. Stay away from diuretics or harsh colon cleansers. The seeds mentioned before are the best and gentlest vegetal fiber you can use to cleanse. Try not to take vitamins or supplements until after an hour that you've taken the colon cleanser since it stops the absorption process of your digestive tract temporarily. And drink with plenty of WATER!

Yeah, that part is super important!!!!!!!! Drink Plenty of water!!! can't stress it enough...why? let me tell you what yours truly did: i took the cleanser but skipped drinking more water, so when the fiber expanded in my colon it was kinda stuck and i got a painful intestinal cramp!!!!!! i didn't drink enough water to ease the fiber's way through my colon, and IT HURT!!! so needless to say next time i made sure to drink pleanty of water and it worked flawlessly.

You can go to a Whole Food Store or similar and ask for a colon cleanser that contains psyllium seed and flaxseed. You may opt for an organic brand. Don't buy "doctor Flora's" online, they charge waaaaay too much and the results are exaclty the same if you go to a store and get it. Just MAKE SURE it has those flax and psyllium seeds as main ingredient. As usual, i'm my own lab rat, so let me tell you how it went with me:

I took it for 3 days in a row (don't overuse, follow directions ot it will irritate your colon, yeah even the good things in excess can harm) During days 2 and 3 with lots of water (duh!...lol) It didn't send me to the bathroom often at all as i thought it would, i had my normal valve movements just like any other given day. BUT, i did notice that i expelled way more than usual, i wasn't constipated at all. I couldn't believe all the stuff i had accumulated in my colon! It even had like the shape of my colon walls! And, my gutt (yes, after 2 kids and no exercise, my fab got flab) shrunk noticeably, i also felt lighter, better in general. I think that getting rid of that waste accumulated over time in my colon has helped my skin getting better lately. See, that waste decompsoses and then bad substances can get in yoour bloodstream and slowly but surely it starts messing up with your body systems and functions...so i would strongly recommend trying colon cleansing.

I started the weight loss challenge and from the 1st of jan to date i've lost 9 lbs. I am excited! So, i hope this extra info helps you! Let me know id you try anything else! I'll keep updating!
[color=#4000FF]There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore.And who always will.So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.[/color]
Red Rose
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:21 am

Ah, I love all the info. Will have to print it when I am at work and the printing is instantaneous!

"Gross" on the pig and crustacean info! And I just ate roast pork. But it was good. :P

As to your noticing your face takes longer to heal (me too!) I just read "The Skin Type Solution" by Leslie Baumann, M.D. and she said (chapter 15) that the key to managing what sounds like my skin type is understanding the skin barrier (which is the skins natural barrier, composed of cells, like bricks, if you will, that are surrounded by fat or lipids, which act as mortar). "With a weak skin barrier, substances pass through the barrier too readily, producing allergic or inflammatory reactions as the immune system recognizes something foreign to the body and overreacts. Once the skin barrier is damaged, a cycle begins. Lack of protection leads to invasion of substances that cause inflammation; inflammation leads to itching and further breakdown of the barrier. As a result, the skin cannot hold on to water, and dehydration results. Dehydration triggers further inflammation, itching and dryness." Sounds just like me right now!

She goes on to say that you can rebuild the skin barrier. The types of fats and oils you eat and that you use on your skin can impact the barrier. "The three main components of a well-functioning skin barrier are cholesterol, fatty acids, and ceramides." She then goes on to recommend a variety of products, both cheap and expensive (unfortunately, the Dove products I was interested in are no longer being made), and most important---supplements, such as omega-3's. We've heard that before, right? Fatty fish, fish oils, flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, a few other food sources. She says you need to eat more omega-3 and less omega-6, which is why I avoid those combo's at the health food store that say "3-6-9". Here's the part I thought was interesting, since I have been taking flaxseed and borage seed for 6+ weeks with just a little improvement: "...many people cannot convert them (vegan sources of omega-3, such as flaxseed) into the most useful chemical forms the body needs." She recommends fish oil supplements, good-quality ones such as Nordic Natural's Omega-3 Formula gelcaps, or Carlson's Arctic Cod Liver Oil capsules; sometimes with other brands, you can get an oily fishy taste or fish-burps, which I have heard about and that's why I always avoided fish oil caps.

And I am definitely going to buy a colon cleanser with the ingredients you recommend. I just saw one in my favorite catalog, actually! Now I have an excuse to order from them.

I'm using the Triderma again; I wish it was thicker, but I just keep applying it every so often.

Has anyone tried applying flaxseed oil directly to the face? I wonder if it would be soothing. I've read about omega oils being soothing to the skin when applied topically (magazine), but then they never say what kind, where to get it......
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Red Rose » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Hey Cathy! That was great information too about the way skin works...and i didn't know that omega 3 is the main one. Have been taking olive oil and the flavorless cod liver oil, it's like 1/4 the price of the one with fancy lemon taste...lol...i take them on an empty stomach and yes, i know about the burps, but well...all in the name of health and controlling rosacea.
I have never tried applying the fish oil directly to my skin. I did try olive oil, and it felt ok, it helped keep the moisture and the itching lowered a little bit; also when my skin was flaking the olive oil helped the dead cells fall off faster. But the problem with oils on the skin is the greasy look you get, i forgot that i had it on my skin and i left a spot on my pillowcase... :P even if you rub away the excedent, oil is not enough for the skin, just a temporal fix that works great as an emolient only (in my experience). I know the triderma takes a few applications the first times, i kept putting layers on when i first bought it but now i can get away with twice a day. I went to their website and filled out the "contact us" form. They sent free samples of all their creams and a new facial cleanser for rosacea, it is supposed to help fixing the skin pigments. They asked me to let them know how my skin feels with it. I have used it for 3 days, after i wash my face it feels good, a little bit on the dry side (very mildly), then i put on the regular cream and it feels good. The flaking has stopped completely, but though the red patches have decreased in size considerably, they still get a little red on accasion and itch once in a while. I guess you can't get rid of it at once.

Any suggestions on facial make up? i had used physicians formula organic powder but it dries my skin...i want to try a creamy one but not sure which one or if that would be ok...any suggestions?
Red Rose
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:33 am

Ewe, no, not fish oil to the skin. Ha ha, I meant flaxseed. And I actually tried it two days ago. It was okay. Nothing spectacular. The oil is quite yellow, so I washed it off before going to bed.

I've also just bought the other version of the fish oil, not the lemon one, and the reviews on the website said just take it with a meal and you won't get that fishy burpy thing going on. Mine should arrive tomorrow!

My rosacea itches too, lately; I think I mentioned that five hundred times in the past three weeks; my bad. What was interesting is today I had a facial, and nothing, absolutely nothing she put on my skin caused it to burn, itch, or sting! And my skin looked much improved when she was done. So of course, I bought the products she used on me (by Reme Laure), and she convinced me to just stick to one line for a month or two and give it time to work, not to mention give my skin time to heal. I was buying things right and left because of my rash/flare, and making things worse.

I use a concealer on my cheeks that Artist recommended (and I can't stop thanking her! (clapping) ); it's actually an undereye concealer by Lancome, called Effacernes Waterproof Protecting Undereye Concealer. http://www.lancome-usa.com/makeup/concealers/effacernes.htm Another member recommended a Lancome foundation called Tient Idole. I did get a sample but have been waiting for my skin to calm down before I try it out.
Aurelia likes GloMinerals (which I also want!). I also tried one called Everyday Minerals, but I couldn't quite find a match for my skin; they come in different finishes, and the same color can differ a bit in each finish. I will keep trying, though. I use Bare Minerals on my t-zone, but find it doesn't cover enough in my rosacea areas, and my dry, sometimes flaky cheeks don't look that great with the powder. I have also tried yellow and green concealers too, under my regular make-up or concealer, and I just end up looking--yes--yellow or green!

Try checking these links out, too: http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewforum.php?f=30 and http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1139
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:50 am

CrabbyCathy wrote:Aurelia likes GloMinerals (which I also want!).

After not having had any papules in years, I several times used the GloMinerals without moisturiser underneath and, horror of horrors, up popped three papules! They were almost certainly caused by the mineral make-up, but I have no problem as long as there's a barrier between it and my skin.

This shows the importance of reporting back on any changes with topicals. Will now update my earlier message.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Red Rose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and the links Cathy, i will check them out! And i know that powders aren't very flattering when your skin is flaking. I tried washing my face, then applying the cream and after that putting the powder on. But still the powder sort of made the flaky parts look more obvious, i felt like a crocodile shedding scales! :P And even now that the flaking stopped completely, i don't quite like the way my skin looks with powdered make up. And i know about those green concealers and stuff don't work that well...it does sound like really good advice to try a product long enough to let it work, it makes sense. We get so desperate and "immediate result" driven with the rosacea that we don't give products enough time to work. So far i am happy with Triderma, and i will keep using it. Slowly but surely the patches keep shrinking.
Aurelia, glad you let us know what happened with them Glominerals...i guess even when the make up is non-comedogenic, some of the ingredients may irritate the skin.
Red Rose
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Triderma UPDATE (might wanna check your thyroid and hormones

Postby Red Rose » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Ok, so here's a quick update on their facial cleanser. I received a full sampler of Triderma creams and a new cleansing cream that is supposed to correct the pigments on your skin and lower the redness. It smells like a fruit we call "guanabana" in spanish. I wonder if that's what they used to formulate it. Anyway, i have been using the cleanser for 2 weeks now. I didn't really see any changes during the first week, and after rinsing my skin it felt slightly (and i mean slightly) dry. So after i washed with the cleanser i put on the Triderma cream (that i love and has worked wonders after more than month and a half of using it), and my skin feels just fine.
This last week of using the cleanser though i do have noticed a change in the redness that still lingered on my smaller rosacea patches. They don't get so red anymore, the itch rarely comes back and the flaking has been gone for about 3 weeks now. So, i finally felt like taking a pic of my face...the redness is still visible, especially on my forehead but alas, it is nothing compared to how raw red and itchy they were just 2 months ago. The patches were double the size, super red and flaky.

Haven't tried make up yet, i am almost afraid it would irritate my skin again. I should also mention a little twist i did during the last week. Before i used the Triderma facial cleanser sample i was only using the Clean&clear (deep action cream cleanser, sensitive skin, oil free) to wash my skin. This past week i decided to try an experiment and apply the Triderma cleanser on my skin and add a layer of the Clean&clear cleanser, then just massage the skin softly. After i did this my skin didn't feel that mild dryness sensation felt by the Triderma cleanser alone and so far i am very pleased with the results.

I went to the doctor. I've been losing more hair than usual among other stuff, and he wants to test my thyroid and check the hormonal levels to make sure they're balanced. He mentioned that a hormonal imbalance could be the cause of the hair loss and also triggering the rosacea flare-ups. He reviewd my medical history and he noted that i tend to have skin problems during the initial stages of pregnancy and after pregnancy. This last stinking flare-up i'm fighting came shortly after i had a miscarriage, so figures...i pointed out to him that from all my flare-ups this had been the worse yet adding the hair loss (and the stress alone of pregnancy can contribute to rosacea getting worse).

SO, guys, it would be a good idea to make sure your hormones are balanced, go have it checked with your doc. Who knows, it might save you a lot of time, itch and redness!
Red Rose
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Next

Return to Natural Rosacea Therapies