Occular Rosacea & possible benifeits of laser or IPL

Like to get some expert advice for IPL or Laser therapy for rosacea ? Post your question here and one of our helpful Laser and IPL Doctors will offer their thoughts on your query.

Occular Rosacea & possible benifeits of laser or IPL

Postby Willow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:51 am

Hi,

I'm a 27 y/o female with Anglo-English ancestry. I've been diagnosed with Rosacea and Occular Rosacea for four years. I recently had to find a new Opthamologist as my old one retired. My new Opthamologist is suggesting laser treatment as a way to reduce the severity of the facial Rosacea and possibly improve the Occular Rosacea.
Here's my main interest: Is there any study or trial currently out or known to show that treatment with laser or IPL for facial Rosacea will improve Occular Rosacea symptoms? If so, which would be the best approach?

I'm willing to live with the redness if I have to, my main issue is to treat the eyes as I keep having to go in to be treated for corneal ulcerations that are causing me to lose sight.

Thanks for your time and any information you can provide,
Willow
Willow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Occular Rosacea & possible benifeits of laser or IPL

Postby Artist » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi Willow: I'm not one of the doctors, but I did an interview with Dr. Eric Jones, the Medical Director of Dever's Eye Institute in Portland, Oregon a while back and here is what he said about IPL and ocular rosacea:

Q: Do you think IPL treatment of the face usually improves ocular rosacea? What about patients who feel that IPL has made their ocular rosacea worse?

A:" What I've read about it is that, usually it's about 80 percent improvement. I haven't known anybody where it makes it worse. I found one study in here - one case report, rather - where there was an adverse effect with blistering and what-not. "

You might like to read the whole interview:
http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... ones%2C_MD

I do recall reading some posts here and there from people who say that treating their facial rosacea with lasers and/or IPL has indeed improved their ocular rosacea. Another good ocular rosacea treatment seems to be low dose doxycycline.

All the best!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby David Pascoe » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:25 am

Reply forwarded from Dr. Soldo:

Disclosure
This information does not constitute medical advice. Any individual who believes they are suffering from any medical condition, including, but not limited to rosacea, should seek treatment from a licensed medical physician who is qualified to diagnose and treat the particular condition. Nicholas Soldo, M. D

Willow -- You have a very astute opthamologist so I would stick with him and his advice -- It is true that IPL will actually improve most cases of ocular rosacea however I find in my practice that patients do even better with the long term use of Oracea one tablet daily -- Ocular drops such as artificial tears and in some cases even Restasis are recommended -- In my office I would certainly advise IPL and good eye care which he seems to be offering you -- Good luck.

N Soldo MD
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:19 am

Here is a reply from Dr. Johnson.

Hello Willow,

I don't know of any studies but IPL seems to have more of a global effect to occular rosacea than V-beam or pulsed dye. Most patients seem to benefit from a combination of a doxycycline and Restasis eye drops. Corneal ulcerations may also require an antibiotic drop with a steriod.

Thanks,
Dr Steve Johnson
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Willow » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Thank you very much for the additional information. :)

My current Opthamologist has me on Restasis and I've just come off a round of Lodamax. He's hoping the Restasis will keep things in check so I won't have to take the steroids so often. My Dermatologist has me on a 40mg. run of Oracea w/ 2% Metro Gel for when I have flare ups. I think they've got me pretty well sorted, however it is nice to have the additional viewpoints you've all provided.

Thank you again for the information
Willow
Willow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Ask a Doctor