Laser or IPL for beards

Like to get some expert advice for IPL or Laser therapy for rosacea ? Post your question here and one of our helpful Laser and IPL Doctors will offer their thoughts on your query.

Laser or IPL for beards

Postby rich962 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:11 am

Hi, I would love some doctors advice on this. I went to see the derm yesterday reguarding laser treatment for rosacea. He told me that IPL would alter my beard and he recommended treatment with a laser. I am clean shaven now however he was concerned that in the future i might want to grow a beard and IPL would make that impossible. The doctor told me that I would need about 2-3 laser treatments or 5-6 IPL treatments. Can anypone please give me some imput on the results or experiences with laser treatment for rosacea redness. Also, what is the biggest difference between the laser treatment and the IPL treatment.

Thanks,
Rich
rich962
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Laser or IPL for beards

Postby drsoldo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Disclosure
This information does not constitute medical advice. Any individual who believes they are suffering from any medical condition, including, but not limited to rosacea, should seek treatment from a licensed medical physician who is qualified to diagnose and treat the particular condition. Nicholas Soldo, M. D.
It is difficult to comment exactly on this issue since I am not sure what laser is being considered however I might add that I can not off hand think of a laser that is more beneficial to the Rosaceans face than a good IPL treatment--I do many IPLs daily and have for 9+ years and have never seen a permanent hair loss when not using deeper depth filters(above 700nm)--I would be more concerned with the laser than IPL unless individual vessels are being treated DR S
drsoldo
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby peter.crouch » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:36 pm

rich962 wrote:Hi, I would love some doctors advice on this. I went to see the derm yesterday reguarding laser treatment for rosacea. He told me that IPL would alter my beard and he recommended treatment with a laser. I am clean shaven now however he was concerned that in the future i might want to grow a beard and IPL would make that impossible. The doctor told me that I would need about 2-3 laser treatments or 5-6 IPL treatments. Can anypone please give me some imput on the results or experiences with laser treatment for rosacea redness. Also, what is the biggest difference between the laser treatment and the IPL treatment.

Thanks,
Rich

Important pre-requisite disclosure for information provided.
Any advice or information provided here does not, is not intended to be,(and should not be taken to constitute), specific medical advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a medical history, examine the patient and provide specific advice and or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a physician able to meet with the patient, take a medical history, examine the patient and provide specific advice and or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. Dr Peter Crouch

Hair loss can occur with laser or IPL and I would agree that whilst it can happen, if you stick to the lower filter ranges, permanent hair loss is less likely (but probably not nil risk). I always advise patients,particularly men, that hair loss is possible and that they should clearly indicate prior to treatment any area which they would not wish to lose the ability to grow hair (remember fashions change and what is fashionable today may not be in a decade or so). I never assume that hair loss will never be an issue with female patients. I also warn patients that there have been some (thankfully rare) reported cases of paradoxical hair growth stimulation with IPL. I agree entirely with Dr Soldo's comments; regarding the choice of filters. When I offer triple passes to most patients with rosacea (using three separate IPL filter ranges), I would generally choose to omit the third pass over areas with "desired hair retention" i.e. miss the 695nm and above filters from treating, say the beard area of a male patient.

To illustrate the next point, lets turn the issue on its head so to speak. If you were to choose IPL as a method of hair reduction, some types of hair/skin contrasts would be easier to treat and fine calibre black, or blond and to some extent red hair would be more difficult to reduce with IPL treatments and higher filter settings would most probably generally be used. If there is any doubt, a small test patch could be contemplated, but in any event, the prospect of potential risk for permanent hair reduction (and recent evidence suggests potential small risk of hair stimulation) should be at least discussed and or appear in patient literature/consent forms and the patient should be at least aware of the risk and indicate that they are prepared to accept it before treatment commences.

Again, completely in line with Dr Soldo's advice, I would agree that if the condition is responsive to IPL, IPL generally provides a more "even" overall response. The main difference between IPL and Laser is the very sharp, demarcation between the treated and non treated areas with laser. The "step off" of energy with a laser seems more pronounced compared to most IPL devices and most IPL devices have the option of using bigger treatment delivery heads. Sometimes there is no option but to choose to use laser, particularly if the condition is found to be IPL treatment resistant. If a patient experiences an uneven "cookie cutter" pattern in their redness following laser treatment, it may be possible to smooth this out with IPL (even if the original condition was IPL treatment resistant).

I hope that this helps,

Kind regards,

Peter Crouch
peter.crouch
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rich962 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:49 pm

Thanks for the imput on this. The doctor I went to had the lasers in his office and I think he was just trying to sell me on the more expensive procedure. It didn't make sence to me either that IPL would cause hair loss and the laser wouldn't. IPL seems to be the way to go and I'm going to find a new doctor:) Thanks again to all.

Rich
rich962
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Ask a Doctor