SKIN THICKENING LEFT SIDE OF NOSE(TIP)

Like to get some expert advice for IPL or Laser therapy for rosacea ? Post your question here and one of our helpful Laser and IPL Doctors will offer their thoughts on your query.

SKIN THICKENING LEFT SIDE OF NOSE(TIP)

Postby llkings17 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Dear Rosacea Docs;
I'm a 60 yo female who has had rosacea for 41 years. The left side of my nose and cheeks are impacted with redness, some tingling, little burning. The left tip of my nose is somewhat thickened. 10 mg of accutane daily was too potent @ 3 years ago; I'm currently on 100mg doxy/day, elidel and noritate cream topically in PM. Any suggestions to reduce the nasal flare and thickening? I have V-beam 3x year; have tried 1040YAG,ND 2 years ago. Your help/suggestions would be most appreciate. Thanks, Lynne
llkings17
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: SKIN THICKENING LEFT SIDE OF NOSE(TIP)

Postby drsoldo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Disclosure
This information does not constitute medical advice. Any individual who believes they are suffering from any medical condition, including, but not limited to rosacea, should seek treatment from a licensed medical physician who is qualified to diagnose and treat the particular condition. Nicholas Soldo, M. D.

It might be reasonable to try Accutane at lower doses than before. Or a number of IPL sessions at milder settings to start might also be desirable, the more the better. and continue other meds as already being taken--Dr S
drsoldo
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Artist » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:08 pm

Interesting about the mild settings for thickening. I always wondered if IPL could be used on this type of rosacea.

Regarding the Accutane: From what I remember about past postings, the theme seems to have been that lower doses (like 2mg per day) helped and higher doses made things worse.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby drsoldo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Artist---You are absolutely correct re the accutane--My "updated" approach to nearly all IPLs I perform is that a milder approach is actually more effective than beating up on the face--My treatments use less fluence for each session than they used to be a few years ago and we are seeing much better results with less discomfort ,less erythema and far happier patients--Dr S
drsoldo
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby mysweetchester » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:28 pm

Hello Dr. Soldo~

So good of you to answer our questions!

What are your current settings of joules/fluence compared to your past for a pale faced, moderate rosacea patient?

Also, do you feel results can be achieved for those of us who are not able to get to a Lumenis One Machine due to travel, financial reasons, etc. If so, what joules/fluence are considered low yet effective, so we can kindly suggest them to our practioners? Should they still use a triple pass on us as well?

Thanks for your work,
mysweetchester
mysweetchester
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Artist » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Great! I am always telling my IPL doc that I'd rather pay for more sessions and go slower than to risk trying to "get it all at once".

Thanks! This is great!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby drsoldo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 pm

There are no set joules to recommend---Each laser has different capabilities than those of other manufacturers---A good laser physician can get reasonably good results with most of the well known IPL/lasers--I like the Lum One because I have used it for so many years and am totally comfortable with it and all the possiblilities it offers--You can do multiple pulses that are not available on any other device and to me this is important--And again I long ago gave up on beating up faces and feel that overly aggressive treatments actually create rather than destroy vessels--Dr S
drsoldo
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Return to Ask a Doctor