Early treatment

Like to get some expert advice for IPL or Laser therapy for rosacea ? Post your question here and one of our helpful Laser and IPL Doctors will offer their thoughts on your query.

Early treatment

Postby Lisamouries » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:30 pm

A bit off IPL & Laser but interested in a medical perspective. In your opinion is it best to be treat Rosacea at an early age although full symptoms aren't yet apparent or to wait for a full diagnosis. I've been struggling with this question for a while. My daughter is 17, but she's had red cheeks since she's been 15. I'm assuming it's Rosacea but she seems oblivious about it, so do I make it a concern where she'll get stressed about it or do I leave it till she really wants to talk about it. I'm really unsure about the way forward and if treating early is really the best thing to do.

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Re: Early treatment

Postby peter.crouch » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:55 am

Important pre-requisite disclosure for information provided.
Any advice or information provided here does not, is not intended to be,(and should not be taken to constitute), specific medical advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a medical history, examine the patient and provide specific advice and or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a physician able to meet with the patient, take a medical history, examine the patient and provide specific advice and or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. Dr Peter Crouch

Dear Lisa M,
I would always advise a treatment following formal diagnosis particularly with a relative youngster. Rosacea most commonly presents in the 3rd and 4th decade of life however mine started earlier and I'm sure that many forum members and rosacea sufferers are younger than the average majority. Have you considered discussing the condition with your primary care physician? - as a GP myself, of course I realise that it could be a tricky subject to broach with a 17 year old but she might be concerned about it and relieved to have the opportunity to talk it through with you and her doctor perhaps. If the diagnosis is rosacea, sometimes treatment at an early stage can be topical (creams) or antibiotic based - sometimes these are quite effective in the early stages.

I hope that the above helps,

Kind regards,

Peter
peter.crouch
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I think you are right. My father and uncles have Rosacea and so does my sister so it's obvious we have some strong genetics there. Mine didn't start so young but then again, at the time it wasn't diagnosed...
Thank you again.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby drsoldo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:26 pm

Disclosure
This information does not constitute medical advice. Any individual who believes they are suffering from any medical condition, including, but not limited to rosacea, should seek treatment from a licensed medical physician who is qualified to diagnose and treat the particular condition. Nicholas Soldo, M. D.

I am very much in favor of IPL as early as possible with erythema and flushing--Our goal is to eliminate vessels and the fewer there are the better the results--There is no rational for waiting and younger patients can also utilize subclinical doses of doxy(ie oracea) and topicals--N SoldoMD
drsoldo
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Thank you Dr Soldo. Very kind of you to take time of your busy schedule to answer. Much appreciated. Sounds like early treatment, whichever type of treatment we decide to proceed with, is really the way forward.
Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Return to Ask a Doctor