Help with choosing treatments - not only for newbies :)

Topics that just don't belong anywhere else. Please use this section when you just can't find somewhere better.

Help with choosing treatments - not only for newbies :)

Postby Aurelia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:38 am

We're always being asked "How should I treat my rosacea?" There are no easy answers because although some rosacea treatments have a good track-record, many are worthless, and it's a lottery trying to choose between them all. With enough time and money, most of us find a routine that gives us more comfortable lives and possibly even puts us into remission. The really tough thing is figuring out what will best suit each individual.

My usual advice is to look for posts by people whose symptoms and skin type closely resemble your own and zero in on what they've been using. Imho the main problem with lists of favourite rosacea remedies is that they often lack such details. My preference is to have treatment regimens correlated with symptoms and skin types and set out in a clear and concise format.

If you want to participate, please copy & paste the section below the line into a new message and fill it in.
It might mainly help new members, but requires the participation of old hands, too.

Under 'treatments', please list whatever you have found helpful or unhelpful, whether that's topicals, cleansing routines, herbs, supplements, diet, drugs, light therapies, psychotherapy, alternative treatments, avoidance techniques, or anything else. If you think it really helped or was a flop, please report it. (No need for names of treatment providers.)

Note: These are the accepted rosacea subtype classifications:

I Erythematotelangiectatic (mainly flushing & central facial redness):
II Papulopustular (mainly papules or pustules & central facial redness):
III Phymatous (mainly thick & lumpy skin, enlargement especially of nose):
IV Ocular (eye involvement):

For fuller descriptions, please click here: http://www.rosacea.org/class/classysystem.php

Many thanks!

Aurelia

===============START===CLIPBOARD===COPY===FROM===HERE====================================================

ROSACEA SUBTYPE (can be more than one) & SEVERITY:

I Erythematotelangiectatic:
II Papulopustular:
III Phymatous:
IV Ocular:

MAIN SYMPTOMS & AREAS AFFECTED:
(e.g. permanent redness, burning sensations, stinging, nerve pain, spider veins, facial swelling, rhinophyma, lumpy skin, papules, pustules, ocular rosacea)

SKIN TYPE:
(e.g. dry, normal, oily, hyper-sensitive, reacts badly to sunlight)

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS:
(e.g. seb derm, acne, allergies, candida)

MOST SUCCESSFUL TREATMENTS:

LEAST SUCCESSFUL TREATMENTS:

===============STOP===CLIPBOARD===COPY==================================================================
(now hit Post Reply, paste this text and fill it in, thanks!)
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Re: Help with choosing treatments - not only for newbies :)

Postby Lisamouries » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:48 pm

ROSACEA SUBTYPE & SEVERITY: I & IV (Erythematotelangiectatic & Ocular) Mild

Permanent redness on cheeks (more on left than right) and chin,
burning sensations and stinging,
spider veins and itchyness at base of nose,
ocular rosacea with dry eyes, blood shot whites, redness to eyelids, and extra sensitivity to sunlight and wind.

SKIN TYPE: Oily, Sensitive, reacts badly to temperature differences

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS: Occasional seb derm, Hives, Sinusitis (Inflammation of sinuses without any discharge), Tinnititis (Continuous light ringtone in ears)

Metrogel .75% every evening
Clonidine 25 microgram three times a day
Rosa Relief cream
Head and Shoulders shampoo once a week on face
Vitamin D3
Saw Palmetto 120gm per day
10-20mn Red Light Therapy

Metrocream .75%
Eucerin redness relief
Omega 6

Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Last edited by Lisamouries on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved info from a separate thread
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Lisamouries » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:49 am

Hi Aurelia.
Thank you for moving my reply to the right place... But I'm surprised by the lack of answers here. This is a real useful tool for everyone, so please you guys enlighten us with your replies. All you have to do is use the clipboard to copy Aurelia's initial text, press 'post reply', then paste and fill in. Et voila!
Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Last edited by David Pascoe on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: slight edit to clarify how to create a new note.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:38 pm

ROSACEA SUBTYPE & SEVERITY: Erythematotelangiectatic (mild) & Papulopustular (medium).

MAIN SYMPTOMS & AREAS AFFECTED: Occasional mild flushing of whole cheeks. Sustained but mild reddening of inner cheeks and nose with low-grade inflammation and tendency to clogged pores and pustules. Almost never have papules.

SKIN TYPE: oily, fairly strong.

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS: Nothing relevant except perhaps hay fever & allergic to starfruit and plums.

MOST SUCCESSFUL TREATMENTS: Note that I've never tried IPL or lasers.

- Red Light Therapy (small, prototype all-red LED lamp) reduced inflammation, calmed skin and made it less reactive.
- Isotretinoin (Accutane, now a cheaper generic form Isotane) reduced inflammation and cut excess oil. Low dosage of 20 mg a couple of times per week.
- Cutanix DRL lotion (no longer being made) reduced redness and helped prevent make-up from clogging pores.
- MetroCream (aka Rozex cream) is very soothing.
- Sebamed non-fat soap used with tepid water.

- Anti-acne topicals, in the past when I had co-existing acne.
- Ivermectin (a systemic mite-killer) gave quick and initially impressive results, but was ultimately disappointing.
- Isotretinoin (Accutane) at up to 40mg daily, quickly triggered full facial flushes that pulsed for hours. It took months to get over that.

Update February 2009: Now washing with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, then applying Metrogel. Sometimes using Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion or the last of the old Cutanix DRL lotion. Switched from an oil-based make-up to GloMinerals pressed base.
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Artist » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 pm

ROSACEA SUBTYPE & SEVERITY: I Erythematotelangiectatic (mild) and II Papulopustular(mild)

MAIN SYMPTOMS & AREAS AFFECTED: On cheeks: Sensitivity, itching, occasional hives, irritated areas may be red. Mild seb derm. Occasional small pustule more on central left cheek. Hardly ever any papules. Very minimal flushing currently. Faint semi-permanent pinkness on cheeks - until I have my next IPL.... (;)

SKIN TYPE: Pale, thin, small pores, dry tendancy, delicate, not oily

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS: Chronic heartburn, seasonal allergies, leg veins

- Trigger avoidance
- IPL - addresses all symptoms
- Red Light Therapy, calms inflammation, curbs redness
- EGF, helps pinkness
- Atenolol 12.5mg per day - eliminated social blushing (blushing from emotions..)
- Tetracycline - curbs breakouts, calms skin
- Saw Palmetto, Diosmin - Helps flushing, redness
- 81mg asprin daily - helps flushing
- Head & Shoulders occasionally on face for seb derm (currently trying the 3M oscello sponges)
- Clean face nightly with plain mineral oil and microfiber cloth
- Wash face twice a week with plain decyl glucoside (sometimes mixed with sea kelp bioferment if I have time..), followed by a light touch with my Clarisonic cleansing brush.

-metrocream/lotion
-Rosacea LTD (I think due to sulfur, not sure.. Many seem to do well with LTD, though, so I wish I could use it..)
- Topical aspirin
-

more later..... Jack us up! :) -Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby patty » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 pm

ROSACEA SUBTYPE & SEVERITY: II Papulopustular- medium/severe

Papules, pustules all over my face including forehead. Redness only from inflamation, rarely flush.

SKIN TYPE:
normal/oily, somewhat sensitive but not extremely

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS:
none

-Oracea
-Metrogel 1%- P.M.
-Finacea- A.M. spot treat p&ps
-Rosa Relief face cream
-Olay Total Effects cream face wash w/ blemish control [a surprise to me too-very gentle and keeps pores clean and p&ps at bay]

-Desonide- the Devil in cream form, not worth it :twisted:
-trying to cure myself the "natural" way. Very $$, makes me healthy, but does little for p&ps.
Last edited by patty on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Ally » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:04 pm

ROSACEA SUBTYPE (can be more than one) & SEVERITY:

II Papulopustular: Severe

Painful papules and pustules cheek area, forehead and chin. Facial swelling. Oily at times, dry and flaky at others (am thinking it to do with whatever I am treating it with at the time) Flushing occassionally but mainly red from inflamation
(
SKIN TYPE:
Probably oily most of time, occasionally dry/flakey (bit hard to explain really)

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS:
Self diagnosed seb derm, but derm doesnt seem to think it is.

Aqueous Cream (emulsifying wax) for cleanser
Rosa Relief
Born to be Mild Cleanser (only 1-2 times a wk though)
Dermalogica Active Moist Moisturizer (1-2 times wk)
Erythromycin antibiotic
Mineral Make-up
Low GI diet
Water

Proactive (very bad outcome!!!!) before I realised rosacea cant be treated as acne
Rosex cream (think the same as metrogel, not sure)
Rosacea LTD
Ally
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby melissaw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:20 pm

ROSACEA SUBTYPE & SEVERITY: Type I and II
Flushing/burning moderate and p&p's mild- moderate

Burning with flushing due to heat, change in temp, alcohol, spicy food, stress and strong emotions
affected areas include cheeks and nose and ears, sometimes chin

SKIN TYPE:
Dry and pale (when not flushing) and quick to burn in the sun.

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS:
eczema, asthma, allergies to ragweed, dust, mold, cats all the good stuff in life (frustrated)

VBeam Perfecta for the flushing and burning
Orace for p&p's
Avoidance of triggers when possible
Keeping the temp cool when possible
Red light therapy
Trying to maintain a positive attitude and outlook(not technically a treatment)

Anything topical ie unable to tolerate metrolotion, metrocream, Finacea, Rosac, Rosula, etc
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:58 am

ROSACEA SUBTYPE & SEVERITY:
I Erythematotelangiectatic: mild (just on cheeks and only where p&p's are)
II Papulopustular: medium (very small area on left cheek, very large area on right cheek. Has spread to temples and above eyebrows since using Finacea)

Burning sensations/tingling after eating or encountering a trigger (dairy, cola, heat, stress, spicy foods); 99% of the time is the precursor to the birth of p&p's! And then redness follows.

SKIN TYPE:
Delicate, thin, pale, hyper-sensitive, reacts to sunlight, oily/dry combination, prone to clogged pores in T-zone

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS:

Sensitivity to dairy; was told once I had candida but oral rx prescribed turned my face and neck into a bright red, acne-like mess, so I stopped.

****Avoiding dairy and cola ;( ****
*Drinking tons of water
*IPL
*RLT (Red Light Therapy--red/near-infrared)
*SkinActives Rosacea Control Serum, ELS Serum, Anti-Inflammatory Cream, Sea Kelp mixed with decyl glucoside as a "second cleanse"
(The above are miracle workers! I love, love, love these items; my skin looks amazing)
*MetroCream mixed with licorice, Hyaluronic Acid, NA PCA, few drops of jojoba oil
*Doing a "cleanse" every so often, especially when having a particularly bad flare, with fruit juices (including "plum" aka prune first thing in the morning), wheatgrass, salads. Even 1/2 a day of this, with a good healthy dinner, seems to help.
*Moor Mud Masque
*Microfiber cloths, to cleanse and to dry with

Every so often, especially when having an outbreak of p&p's/itchiness
*Zinc oxide ointment (as needed at night, applied to damp skin)
*Zhang Zhou ointment (as needed at night, applied to damp skin)

*Finacea (vangry) I am convinced that this caused my rosacea to spread permanently, despite the improvement seen during the first few weeks.
*Clenia Foaming Face Wash (sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur)
*oral antibiotics (3 week course as recommended by derm)
*Rosa Relief
*Rosacea Relief (felt really nice, but not much happened; worsened a bit, actually)
Last edited by CrabbyCathy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Hopeful » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi guys

Hope I've done this right, if not someone just let me know.
Just to add to the below my skin type is very pale but can tan (yes I still remember those days pre rosacea) Most derms have called it a classic celtic skin type and is quite sensitive, it may not have been but over the years (and it is quite a few now) but I believe I have over sensitised my skin with all the treatments thinking it was just acne etc.

Any other questions from anyone just ask.

Hopeful

===============START===CLIPBOARD===COPY===FROM===HERE====================================================

ROSACEA SUBTYPE (can be more than one) & SEVERITY: I have been diagnosed with a very severe case which covers chin, forehead and both cheeks. Although I do not seem to be affected on the nose.

I Erythematotelangiectatic:
II Papulopustular:
The above are the type of rosacea I have

I have (or did have hope fully when my treatment is complete) permanent redness, burning sensations, stinging, lumpy skin, papules and pustules

SKIN TYPE:
Quite sensitive and can be both oily and dry (people who have this will understand what I mean)

CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS:
I have also been told I react to yeast - so sugar, soy poducts, MSG etcI think can also beknown as a type of leaky gut.

Unfortunatly I do not seem to have any. Antibiotics did have a positive affect, especially on the p&p but not on the flushing. Also after approx 4 weeks on Antibiotics I start suffering becasue of my reaction to yeast. (I am sure people out there know better than me but the antibiotics get rid of the decent bacteria in your gut and therefore allow yeast to grow) Erythomycin worked but made me ill after a couple of days. After the first 3 treatments of IPL the flushing seemed to reduce greatly and p&p slightly. After the fourth coupled with ALA I will have to come back to you as it has only been a week and my skin is still peeling and sore.
Any topical treatment and erythomycin
(blush)
Hopeful
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to General Stuff