Omega 3 Flaxseed Oil Benefits Rosacea Skin?

Topics that just don't belong anywhere else. Please use this section when you just can't find somewhere better.

Omega 3 Flaxseed Oil Benefits Rosacea Skin?

Postby Sweetness_&_Light » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi everyone, I am new here and glad to become a member of the online Rosacea community.

I have tried many alternative therapies for every ailment i have suffered and pleased to say that i have had success with some. Recently, i started taking Omega 3 Flaxseed oil in the hope that it would relieve some symptoms i have been suffering for several years: aches, pains, digestive discomfort, depression, hormonal imbalances and of course my blotchy, lumpy, dry and inflammed skin. It's only been about 6 weeks that i have been taking Flaxseed oil in increasing amounts and i have to say i have noticed a difference in my skin. I noticed however, that the Flaxseed seemed to show an improvement in my skin only after i started to increase my daily dosage. And i mean a huge increase. I started by taking the recommended dose on the bottle which is 1-2 capsules a day or two teaspoons (5ml) of oil but researched this and found that the people who were having huge benefits from Flaxseed oil were taking one to three TABLESPOONS (15ml) of the oil daily. The capsule equivalent would be about 14 (1000mg) capsules daily. 14 capsules to equal one tablespoon. That's a heck of a lot of caps to swallow!! (sweat)
The oil is recommend but i found it messy (although i could tolerate the taste) and while i was ill with the flu i couldn't be bothered going down to the fridge to take it. Capsules are way more convenient. My bottled organic flaxseed oil only lasted about two and a half weeks and then it turned cloudy and yukky. And it was refrigerated at all times! (thinking)
I now use capsules again and break them open, pour the oil onto a spoon to make my daily tablespoon or three. It's a lot of capsules to break open but at least i am not having to eat them or waste my money on the bottled oil.
Since taking up to three tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily, my rosacea seems to be under control. My face doesn't flare up red at the usual triggers of heat and the dryness is slowly improving although the paps pimples, etc come and go but not as severely or stubbornly as used to be. But this is only maintained by taking a high dose of flaxseed oil, if i let my daily amount slip then i noticed some redness and dryness returns to my face. (redface)
I would love to hear from anyone who is taking flaxseed oil for their skin and whether it is helping in any way to relieve the redness, dryness, paps, etc. If so, how do you take flaxseed oil and what is your daily dosage and how long you been taking it before the benefits became consistent?

Great to meet you! (wave)

Sweetness x
Sweetness
Sweetness_&_Light
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: Omega 3 Flaxseed Oil Benefits Rosacea Skin?

Postby Lisamouries » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:27 am

Hi Sweetness.
Welcome to the board and thank you for sharing your experience with flaxseed oil. I've done a quick search on the site and have copied the threads relating to this for your convenience.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=774&p=5575&hilit=flaxseed+oil#p5575
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=721&p=5241&hilit=flaxseed+oil#p5241

Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Sweetness_&_Light » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi Lisa, thank you for your reply and the links. Very interesting and different responses to Flaxseed oil.
It continues to baffle me. I tried the Evening Primrose oil (omega 6 GLA) which i've widely researched and it is claimed to be very good for the skin and hormones. However, for me EPO seems to create more pimples though moisturizes the skin nicely. I believe the Flaxseed oil is good for some but not others (some are allergic) but very difficult to find the right balance. Some claim the capsules do not work as well as the organic bottled oil.
What to do...what to do indeed!! (doh)

Best wishes,
Sweetness (wave)
Sweetness
Sweetness_&_Light
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby yoli » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Sweetness, what is Omega6GLA is it called like that???
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Sweetness_&_Light » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Yoli, Omega 6 and GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid) are both found in Evening Primrose Oil. That is what i meant as opposed to Omega 3 ALA (Alpha Linolenic Acid) found in Flaxseed oil. (thinking)

Sweetness (wave)
Sweetness
Sweetness_&_Light
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby yoli » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:48 pm

okay so which one is better???? I am not really good at this at all.
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artist » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:20 pm

I've had mixed results in the past with flax oil and omega 3 supplements, but I tried again with a fish oil supplement a few months ago and I do think it's helping (or at least not hurting.) My opinion is that adding omega-3 to your diet should help in the long run if you tolerate it. Studies show that it lowers inflammation, but I'm guessing it probably takes a month or two to see results.

I take the Pharmaca brand of Omega-3 Wild Fish Oil, one gel cap in the am and one in the pm. Each softgel has 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA from wild anchovy and sardine.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:09 pm

Greetings!

Sweetness, I know you saw this link, but thought I'd include here anyway: http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1010 if anyone else would like to read it.

I myself take only one capsule of flax and one capsule of borage daily (1 gm each). I'm going to up my dosage a bit after reading your post! It's been about 6 weeks and I haven't noticed anything negative or positive; maybe a bit more moisture in my skin. I used to take evening primrose oil, but switched to borage for some reason. I think I will switch back to evening primrose when my current bottle is done. I don't think the borage negatively affects my skin, although I did have a bad flare or two while on it; however, it's probably coincidence, since I also ate something bad at the same time.

This is what Dr. Weil had to say about GLA and rosacea: I would recommend treating rosacea with supplements of evening primrose oil, black currant oil or borage oil. These are all good sources of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which improves the health of the skin. It usually takes six to eight weeks to see changes after adding GLA to the diet. Black currant oil in doses of 500 milligrams twice a day is the most economical source of GLA.

And here is a link, also from Dr. Weil, about ALA and GLA. I think we need both, Yoli, but you might want to start with just the flaxseed first. Trader Joe's has a big bottle, cold-pressed, at a good price (capsules). http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400400/Affecting-the-Balance-Between-Omega3-and-Omega6.html There is a sentence about how he doesn't usually recommend borage oil, towards the end.

Actually, Sweetness, what about drizzling the flax oil on your salad? I have a bottle of oil too, that I haven't used. Salad dressing sounds like a palatable way to get down that much oil.

Artist, I also decided to get fish oil, in addition to my flaxseed and soon-to-be-changed-to-EPO-borage-oil. I decided to buy Carlson's Brand, and explained why in this lovely thread where I typed like mad, about how some people don't convert flax oil as well as fish. http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1084
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 pm

Me again.

I just figured out how to copy and paste using Adobe, so here's an excerpt from the "Banish Rosacea" I bought. Yoli, send me a message if you want the whole thing, which I'm not allowed to post, unfortunately. Good info, except for the vinegar applied topically to the skin, but worth $29.95? (shake)

"Based on my studies, I began adding certain foods to my diet. I ate foods which are known to calm and soothe the inflammation caused by rosacea. These foods include beneficial fats, such as food which contains a lot of omega-3 essential fatty acids. I try to have four servings every week of cold-water fish. Cold-water fish include halibut, salmon, herring, mackerel, and sardines.

Omega 3 fatty acids are important to your health and are needed for many bodily functions, but the body does not produce any Omega 3 fatty acids. Therefore people must get this important dietary supplement from food. The American Heart Association also recommends eating Omega 3 fatty acids by consuming several servings of fatty fish per week. If you are a vegetarian or if you just hate fish, add one tablespoon of flax-seed to your diet every day. You can make a salad dressing with it. However not all fatty acids are helpful to rosacea sufferers.

Omega 6 fatty acids are also healthy and necessary in small amounts, but they have a side effect - they promote inflammation. And of course anyone affected by rosacea must avoid eating foods that promote inflammation. Omega 6 fatty acids are found in red meats. Americans tend to have a diet high in Omega 6 fatty acids. If you suffer from Rosacea, you will want to avoid consuming a lot of red meats so you do not eat the fatty acids that cause inflammation."
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby yoli » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 am

Thank you CrabbyCathy!!! yes send it to me here or at my email address yolana@colson.com
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Next

Return to General Stuff