"You're Showering Too Much"

Topics that just don't belong anywhere else. Please use this section when you just can't find somewhere better.

"You're Showering Too Much"

Postby Spitzbuebe » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:23 am

Hey, everyone,

I'm usually a lurker, but came over here to see if anyone was discussing this article in the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ed/612235/

There's a brief mention of dermodex and rosacea, but the larger article explores the skin "biome."

I've been dealing with a variety of rashes and finally a diagnosis of rosacea just since November 2019. I've mostly got things in check with diet. Used Metro cream for several months and have been weighing the possibility of Doxy but ultimately not taking it, partially because of useful stuff I've read here in the forum. This article has definitely piqued my curiosity to learn more about the skin biome and to think about what a skin "prebiotic" might look like. In the meantime, it sounds like more time in the garden isn't a bad idea!

Would love to hear impressions from others!

Thanks and take care!
Spitzbuebe
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: "You're Showering Too Much"

Postby MartyMcFly » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:01 am

Interesting. The article does mention hot water, and that seems to be a trigger for certain rosacea sufferers. The temperature of the water in my shower, as well as the duration, are things I pay attention to since I started dealing with rosacea.
As far as spending more time in the garden, I also think that's a good idea. Although I almost always wear a large hat outside (instead of lotion), I sometimes willingly expose my face to the sun, a few minutes here and there. It seems to me it's just part of a healthy lifestyle.
MartyMcFly
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: "You're Showering Too Much"

Postby Spitzbuebe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Agreed, MartyMcFly! :) I'm trying to find the right balance of sun exposure and am opting for hat more often than sunscreen. I've turned the heat down on my shower temp, am only showering every other day, and (gasp!) I haven't used soap on my face in the last month, and only a light moisturizer after. So far, so good!
Spitzbuebe
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to General Stuff