anti-dandruff shampoo - A Cure?

Talk about all other non-prescription topicals here - stuff that you don't need a doctor's prescription to use.

anti-dandruff shampoo - A Cure?

Postby chris101 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 pm

I came off the anti-B's one friday; i'd been on them for about 6 months and they were beginning to lose effectiveness. So I thought I'd give my body a rest (they also cause me thrush and stomach probs) and that day i was sooooo fed up with my red nose that I scrubbed at it whilst in the shower with the anti-dandruff shampoo i use (I don't have dandruff, but the creamy head&shoulders is good for my hair) - i washed my face with the lather. I don't have sensitive skin, and when I got out of the shower just moisturised as normal. That day I didn't get a flare-up once! (from about 4 a day) So every day now I wash my face with shampoo (!) and the redness is a lot reduced. I still get flare-ups in over-heated places, but it's been over 2 weeks now and I've been embarrassed by it maybe 3 times. I havent' had any probs with eating, even curries/chillis.

Is this a cure????
chris101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: anti-dandruff shampoo - A Cure?

Postby Artist » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:24 am

The head and shoulders treats seborrheic dermatitis (Seb derm), which often accompanies rosacea. It could be that your seb derm was causing inflammation and worsening your rosacea. Getting rid of that trigger probably helped your rosacea a lot.

Seb derm is thought to be a condition that occurs secondary to rosacea. A yeast called M. Globosa causes Seb derm. It is likely that rosacea skin sets up an environment that this seb derm yeast likes. So, that may be why we see it often on rosacea skin.. Head and shoulders targets that specific yeast, so it's very effective. I use the head and shoulders very sparingly, maybe once or twice a week, to keep my rosacea-related seb derm at bay. I'd be careful and only use it a few times a week since, over time, the ingredients will likely be irritating to your rosacea.

Hope that helps! Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby chris101 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks Artist - that helps explain it! I did read a few days after my 'discovery' that the anti-dandruff shampoo restricts the actions of the little mite that lives on our skin, so I have been religiously cleanse/tone/moisturising (i never did before) and it has really helped. (yahoo)
Interesting what you say about using it tooo often, I hope to see a dermatologist soon, and see what he says. I really don't want to go back to anti-b's. I am quite surprised though that the topical gel (zygomet) that I used instead of the anti-b's for a while did not really do much at all.
chris101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby chris101 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:01 pm

Quick update to this - I was using the head&shoulders every day, and it was 90% effective. However in february I also stopped using the mini-pill (Cerrazette), I had been on Micro-gynon for decades, but because of my age (over 40) they changed me to this new one. Well anyway, looking back, it was about then that the rosacea started up in earnest, and since I stopped the pill, the flare-ups have been getting fewer and fewer. I've also reduced the anti-dandruff 'washing' as i don't feell I really need it now, the oiliness has also gone and my skin feel not so hot and tight.
It's taken a good 3 months to feel the benefits of coming off the pill, but it definately had an better effect on my skin to be hormone-free.
chris101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Non Prescription Topicals