"Afrin" cure?

Talk about all other non-prescription topicals here - stuff that you don't need a doctor's prescription to use.

Re: "Afrin" cure?

Postby Artist » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Just in case there are different Afrin formulations, you may want to be sure the active ingredient is oxymetazoline and that no other active ingredients are included..like phenylephrine.

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby bentherebefore » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:56 am

Here is the photo from the article published in ARCHIVES OF DERMATOLOGY and soon to be on PubMed.

Shows patient 1 three hours after applying.

bentherebefore
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby David Pascoe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:00 am

For those that do suffer from a quite red face, I'm sure this sort of relief will be really beneficial. It is also encouraging that the effects are reasonably lasting.

I wonder, though, if we are really only talking about treating the horse after it has bolted. Will sufferers want to apply this multiple times a day ?

Interesting times ahead as we see how this develops.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:29 am

Good point. The Afrin I have says it lasts 12 hours. So, I suppose having it work that long each day would improve things overall.

I noticed that Visine L.R. has the active ingredient in it. It's a lower concentration, though - .025%. It has a few less ingredients in it, so perhaps it would be even more gentle on the skin.. I notice there are a lot of preservatives and even "povidone" (Iodine?) in the Afrin..eek! Although, I've used the Afrin for 3 days on my left cheek and it hasn't caused any problems. I can tell it has been helping a bit on that side. It's only been a few days, though. I'll have to see if my skin starts reacting badly to the solution..hopefully not..

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby David Pascoe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:34 am

Hi Artist,

Thanks for being a guinea pig for us. Good luck for something you can notice and for no bad reactions either !
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:44 am

According the Merck web site there are quite a few over the counter products that contain oxymetazoline.

4-Way® 12 Hour
Afrin® Extra Moisturizing
Afrin® Original
Afrin® Severe Congestion
Afrin® Sinus
Dristan™ 12-Hour
Duramist® Plus
Duration®
Genasal
Neo-Synephrine® 12 Hour Extra Moisturizing
Neo-Synephrine® 12 Hour
NRS®
Nōstrilla®
Vicks Sinex® 12 Hour Ultrafine Mist
Vicks Sinex® 12 Hour
Visine® L.R.

Not that I'm suggesting that it is a good idea to rush out and try any of these, but just to show that this particular chemical is quite commonly available. I have this nagging feeling that there might be a gotcha waiting for us rosacea sufferers out there. I'm not sure how many people will heed this warning, but lets be careful out there - please everyone do some homework before getting experimental.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:01 am

Yeah. And a difference in just a few hours. Too good to be true, I bet. Grrrr. I just really have a hard time believing this one. Time will tell.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Artist » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:25 am

Someone on the other forum reported irritation with Nasivin, another brand of oxymetazoline nasal apray. I wonder if the Nasivin has a more irritating base.

The Afrin has been fine on my skin for the last three days. I have been applying the Afrin to the left side and notice paler skin. It's not completely even. It's paler in several areas. I think it constricts the very surficial capillaries, so the deeper capillaries may still be apparent. So far I like the results. We'll see how it goes over time.

I apply one drop to my damp face after washing, then I immediately apply a drop of Emu oil over top. I have to moisturize with it. It seems to be pretty drying..

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby lisag » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:04 am

Hi,
I just started using Zicam (oxymetazoline hydrochloride 0.05%) on my face at the request of my dermatologist last Tues. He read about the study in the JAMA & has asked a few of his patients to try it. I have to use it once a day for a month & then go back to him for a follow up. I squirt a little on my hand & rub onto my cheeks & nose after washing my face. I have to say, it does seem to be helping w/the redness. I'll have to give it the full month, since I don't experience flare ups on a daily basis. I'll see what happens after a glass of wine, etc. I haven't been able to pinpoint much else that triggers my flareups yet. Sometimes my face just feels hot & there it is! Prior to the Zicam, I was using metronidazole topical cream 0.75% twice daily with really no results.
I'll keep posted what my results are. I appreciate reading all your posts and am interested in hearing how others do w/this drug. I do have a question, is anyone using a moisturizer with this treatment? I've been avoiding using moisturizer when I put the Zicam on, but then apply it at night after I have washed my face. Any advice?
lisag
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:41 am

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the group. I echo David's comments about what an unusually progressive and open-minded derm you have. Clever you for finding him!

It would be interesting to know where he is based, in case other members in that area would like to know about him.

My feeling is that since this is part of a trial, however informal, the best thing would be to contact your derm and get his opinion on the use of a moisturiser.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Non Prescription Topicals