experimenting 10 years, I freakin beat this!!!

Talk about all other non-prescription topicals here - stuff that you don't need a doctor's prescription to use.

Beware: Aveeno's "ultra Calming" moisturizer...

Postby webdesignerGuy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:19 pm

I mentioned Aveeno's "Ultra Calming" moisturizer in this post as something I use and recommend. I did not realize it comes in two different forms. I use the SPF 30 with no fragrances. There is an SPF 15 that is pure evil in a bottle. It absolutely stinks like old lady perfume and made my skin red/burning within 5 minutes).

To recap:
SPF 30 = good
SPF 15 = very bad
webdesignerGuy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: experimenting 10 years, I freakin beat this!!!

Postby skeecher78 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 am

Interesting. I've been using CeraVe moisturizing cream for a couple weeks, and it's been great. It helps quite a bit. Maybe I'll try the drying cream with it to see if I can get more improvement. Thanks for sharing your success story!
skeecher78
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby webdesignerGuy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:20 pm

skeecher78: It's the CeraVe PM, it's a lot heavier than their other lotions. It contains Ceramides, Niacinamide, and Hyaluronic Acid, all supposedly help heal the natural barrier on the skin that retains/balances moisture levels. Over the past 10 years of dealing with this, the skin under my eyes has taken a beating. I truly believe those flat, red, burning spots I get are parts of the skin that don't have that barrier anymore. The bumps (P&P's, zits, whatever) follow because my body trying to fix the issue, but is over-compensating with it's own "moisture", in the form of oils.

Since that one day I used the drying cream, it has gotten progressively better. I haven't really used it since. I only use that CeraVe PM lotion at night, and make sure to was it off in the morning with something VERY gentle, then moisturize. Bada-bing.

I still have to drink water like a madman (with acv), and I've recently started taking Zyrtec at night. I've also started splashing very diluted acv/water on my face right after showering. Barely enough to even smell it. I think it also helps with healing my skin's natural barrier. I can only do this when my skin is healthy (no irritation, spots, lesions, etc).

Peace and good luck
webdesignerGuy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby elf_107 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm

I just read this older thread with great interest.

There has been some discussion about the Niacinamide and Ceramines in Cerave PM helping to rebuild the skin barrier.

Readers may also be interested to know that the Mario Badescu drying cream contains Sulfur, Zinc and Titanium dioxide. Sulfur happens to also be used to kill Demodex mites, and zinc is also used for its (non Demodex) capabilities... I found this very interesting, especially since one very good dermatologist offered me a medicated Sulfur cream for my rosacea (I declined, because it contained corticosteroids, which I am hypersensitive to.)

While I know the Demodex theory has been unpopular with many, my personal feeling is that we may find multiple causes of Rosacea in the future. Or even that it requires a confluence of causes. Like perhaps Demodex are not harmful unless you have a disrupted skin barrier? That kind of idea.

Just found that interesting. :-)
elf_107
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby webdesignerGuy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Even more interesting, here's a report 10 months later:

My skin is totally manageable. I have not used the Mario Bodescu OR the Cerave cream in at least 5 or 6 months. I have also learned that zinc plays a HUGE part in this.

A few days ago, I went skiing and forgot to put extra sunblock on. One side of my face exploded into really bad red blotches. I took a luke-warm shower, put moisturizer on, waited for a few minutes and then put zinc sunscreen on that side of my face. Then I went to bed. The redness was 95% gone the next day. That's right, I now put sunscreen on before going to bed... My wife thinks that's funny.

I honestly believe that my face healed that quickly because I now have that barrier which allows moisture to absorb into the skin, rather than sit on top of it. Then the zinc comes around and soothes the redness because the skin is fully moisturized, more "supple" and more conducive to healing.

Chocolate, beer, and caffeine are still enemies, but it's still about moderation.

I am thinking of creating a website for the entire regimen... maybe help some other folks.
webdesignerGuy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby elf_107 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Glad your regime is still working so well. :-)

I have also found that zinc oxide helps with my redness, but it's too drying for my post-winter parched skin right now. I hope to use it again in the future.

Best of luck,

Elfy.
elf_107
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby DanLawn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Have you used the Apple Cider Vinegar 500mg tablets?

webdesignerGuy wrote:I forgot to mention...
I drink the vinegar in water every day, regardless of my skin's condition. Organic is definatly different and better.
Also, I think the sunscreen I use plays a major role in the treatment. It is a physical sun-block (titanium and zinc dioxides), rather than the chemical kind.
DanLawn
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby webdesignerGuy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:58 pm

I have not. It's been one of those things I've wanted to try, but I'm afraid of messing with a mostly-successful regimen.
webdesignerGuy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DanLawn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 pm

Wondering if one tablet before lunch and one before dinner would be a comparable dosage to what you initially noted.
DanLawn
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby webdesignerGuy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm

DanLawn wrote:Wondering if one tablet before lunch and one before dinner would be a comparable dosage to what you initially noted.

I tried it for 4 days, and got a huge hive on the 5th day. I'm back to the organic vinegar with mother. There is a difference.
webdesignerGuy
I'm new here
I'm new here

PreviousNext

Return to Non Prescription Topicals