Something for flaky scalp

Seborrheic Dermatitis, or Seb derm for short, can cause dry itchy, red and scaly skin. It can be found together with rosacea making it even harder to treat. Use this forum to get help with your SD.

Something for flaky scalp

Postby mel63 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 am

Is there a topical I can use on my scalp at night to help with dry flaky scalp? Is scalpicin any good?
mel63
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: Something for flaky scalp

Postby oldredlady » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:53 am

Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Sorry I can't be of much help here, as I don't have dry scalp, (quite the opposite, in fact). I've heard Scalpicin is good, though I haven't used it. My Mom who has psoriasis and a lot of scalp flaking uses tar based shampoo (T Gel), which seems to help a bit; it's not a topical and I'm not sure if this is contraindicated for rosacea or not, but the tar shampoo does seem to help her flakiness.

You may want to search the forums to see if others recommend anything for this condition.

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Mike T » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:47 am

Flakey scalp could indicate the presence of sebbhoreic dermatitis.

The two most effective scalp products I have used for this condition are head and shoulders (active ingrediant zinc pyrithione) and Nizoral shampoo (active ingrediant ketaconzole).

Both of these are available without prescription. There are many other antifungal shampoos but these are my favourites.

If you can alternate use of these products on a weekly/monthly basis then the chances of the fungi to develop a resistance to the active ingrediant will be reduced.

If it is seb derm that you have, then you should notice an improvment in the flaking after the first few washes.

This condition requires frequent cleaning of the scalp or it will return.

All the best,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby RedRoses » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:06 pm

I have sebderm in my eye brows, and I think scalp. It was so bad at one time that I had a thick build up of skin above, in, and just below my eye brows. My rosacea is pretty good in summer; as soon as it's cold, forget about it!

I use a lotion with steroid in my eye brow area. It only takes a teeny bit. In winter I use it about 3 times a week and in summer, about 3 times a month! Then when I wash my face in the shower I rub them gently and dead skin comes off. If I don't use it in winter I get a thick build up that will bleed if I try to scratch it off (sorry if TMI). And it really won't all come off. I have to prevent that build up in the first place. My insurance pays for most of the lotion and I use so little that it doesn't matter anyway. I had a small sample bottle that lasted for almost a year!

My scalp: I'm female and color my hair, so I refuse to use anything for my scalp. My hair color comes first. I am resigned to the fact that I can't wear dark colors in cold weather. In the summer I could wear black, but who wants to wear dark colors in summer? I actually started having flaking scalp when I hit my teens and everyone in my family has problems with it. I already tried every scalp shampoo known to mankind in my younger years (including natural cures and prescription shampoos). Some helped, but none really worked well enough where I"d wear dark clothes in winter; I still had flakes.

What works best is to CONSISTENTLY WEAR A HAT in winter. I try to keep cold air off my head. I also cover my nose with a gloved hand in winter when I go out to try to keep my rosacea flare ups minimized. I'd wear a ski mask if it didnt' ruin my hair and make me look like a freak, LOL! Cold air is my enemy. So is very dry air.

I have occular rosacea, rosacea on my chest and face, and seb derm. As I get older the red, broken caps around my nose increase. At some point I will get laser treatments from a dermatologist. Can't afford them right now. I am reading old posts here at the board and hoping to find something I could buy and use at home that actually WORKS, even if it takes a long time and persistence. The dermatologist will end up costing me thousands of US dollars.
RedRoses
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Seborrheic Dermatitis