Seb Derm and cold weather

Seborrheic Dermatitis, or Seb derm for short, can cause dry itchy, red and scaly skin. It can be found together with rosacea making it even harder to treat. Use this forum to get help with your SD.

Seb Derm and cold weather

Postby Mike T » Sun May 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

thought I would share the following.

For a while now I have been able to control my Seb Derm via dietery adjustments.

Along with carefull trigger avoidance my Rosacea has receded and I have cut back on alot of topicals which has seen my skin get stronger and in turn allowed me to use antifungal preparations on my face as required without adverse reactions.

Unfortunatley, i have experienced the first week of cold weather since my conditions improved which has seen the seb derm return with a vengence.

It seems that my tailored diet and antifungal preperations are no match for this instigator. I have been forced to cover up the residual flaking with moisturiser and have noticed my skin getting redder as the Rosacea begins to complain again.

So I can either go out with white flakes all over my face or with a pink/red face.

I feel too tired to begin seeking a new compatabile moisturiser... I was hoping I was over that stage.

Furthermore, the cold has brang back that hot flushy feeling I us to get when stationary.

I still have Clonodine tablets which should adress the flushing and I might spot test a few of my other antifungals inhavnt used for a while to see if their any effective.

The way I see it is that I will have to literally wait out the winter (and part of autumn) for relief again.

I guess 8 out of 12 months isn't too bad. When I'm on a bit more $ I can follow summer around the world (rofl)

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Re: Seb Derm and cold weather

Postby Peacock » Sun May 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Great post Mike. I appreciate your honest approach, sometimes it goes good and other times not so good. It is exactly what I needed
to hear this morning.

Hang tough, you are not alone.
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby fanny » Sun May 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I think this condition has to give all of us lessons in patience and compassion for ourselves. It does seem as if you get it tamed and then it comes back with a vengeance and no 2 cases seem to be exactly the same.
I found I was spending a fortune on topicals, every new one sounding like THE answer. I've come to realise(at the moment anyway) that really topicals are just that and so I'm trying a new approach, I'm going to resist looking in the mirror every 2 seconds, be gentle with my skin, try to use stuff with as little ingredients as possible, eat right and meditate.
All the best to you all
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby spencer » Mon May 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Sounds like a great approach, Fanny! I know I'm much happier when I focus on other things than my skin. The problem with trying to find THE answer is we're focussed on the skin and, in the process of experimentation, it's very easy to want to look in the mirror every 2 seconds. Good things can definitely come from doing research on the condition of rosacea, but there comes a time when it's time for a break, time to go inside and reflect on what really matters. Not to take away from the psychological ramifications of rosacea, but just to point out that a lot of benefits can come from finding answers from within. I know that my health is at its best, and by extension my rosacea, when I am followng a daily yoga and meditation practice, eating well and going out with friends even when my face looks hot and angry. Every time I have that urge to fix my skin or check that it's okay in the mirror, I resist it. Sometimes all of the meddling only serves to make it worse. Patience and compassion, like you said, is what it's all about.
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby fanny » Mon May 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks Spencer, you are absolutely correct we can get obsessive about our skin and that is not healthy, its a question of striking a balance. And balance is hard to achieve.
all the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Thu May 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks guys,

I am back on Clonodine probably for the duration of winter..will see how it goes.

It works amazing to get rid of that hot flushed face feeling for me.

I've found some products to lose effectivness after long term continous use so this seasonal use of Clonodine should counteract this if it is an issue.

All the best,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri May 20, 2011 5:00 am

Funny--I love the winter and loathe the summer. So does my rosacea (rofl)

Good luck!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby RedRoses » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm the exact opposite. The cold makes my face flush and burn, even my eye lids. In the summer my skin looks pretty good...no flushing, and a light tan covers a lot of boo boos. I think I look a lot prettier in summer. In the winter my skin is depressing. My goal in winter is to baby my skin as much as possible so that I can wear make-up to cover my skin.

I am also 'blessed' to have a lot of those brown age spots on my face and all over my body. Thanks to my Nana, may God bless her, I have polka dots all over. It's her Welsh heritage. I tell people she looked like a Dalmatian when she passed at age 86.
RedRoses
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Seborrheic Dermatitis