what is wrong with my skin

Seborrheic Dermatitis, or Seb derm for short, can cause dry itchy, red and scaly skin. It can be found together with rosacea making it even harder to treat. Use this forum to get help with your SD.

what is wrong with my skin

Postby fulloflove2 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm

I have dry layer of skin all over my face. I do not think its seborrhei dermatitis. I do think it some kind of eczema. No matter how thick of moisturiser I use, it wont go away. It feels tight and horrible and looks flaky but yet Im oily. It does not look like white flakes though. If i do a lactic peel it looks smooth for one day but then comes back. What is this and what can i do to get rid of it. Please help.

I do have rosacea too.
fulloflove2
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: what is wrong with my skin

Postby fanny » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Welcome
You do not say what you are currently taking for rosacea or what moisturizers you have tried etc. Have you spoken with a dermatologist?
Have you tried jojoba oil? Some of our members use a micro fiber cloth to gently exfoliate.
Best wishes
Fanny
this does not replace medical advise.
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby spencer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi and welcome!

I used a series of lactic acid peels myself. Initially, my skin was as smooth as a baby's bottom, but then over time I developed skin that was as dry as parchment paper. There is the danger with peels that they will disrupt the acid mantel and the skin will no longer be able to exfoliate properly. I'm not a dermatologist, obviously, so I don't know exactly how skin functioning works. However, I know that if you wash or exfoliate your face too much you will end up with drier skin. I'd recommend using a very gentle cleanser and then dab your face with a smidgen of jojoba oil (not too much, as this will prevent your body from producing its own oil). It's important to allow your skin to breathe so it can produce more sebum and get back into balance. Avoid mineral oil based lotions, since they will only clog the pores and cause the problem to actually get worse over time. You will notice that your skin will be more dry and flaky initially when you stop exfoliating. This is normal, as your skin tries to get back into balance. You can use a gentle micro fiber cloth if the dry skin is driving you crazy. I like the one by Jane Iredale.

Also, make sure that you're getting a lot of essential fatty acids in your diet, e.g. fish oil, flax seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds. Incorporate lots of antioxidants into your diet in the form of low glycemic fruits (apples, berries, pears) and vegetables (kale, chard, bok choy). Avoid junk food, pre-packaged foods, breads, cereals or at least eat them in moderation. Opt for less refined and more nutrient-dense grains (e.g. quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, spelt). Drink 1.5-2 liters of filtered water a day. Practice relaxation, whether in the form of yoga, meditation, dancing or whatever makes you really happy. You might find that 1 or 2 of these suggestions do the trick or it might take some time to get to the bottom of what is causing the dry skin, but you will find an answer.
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby fulloflove2 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:19 pm

The problem with jojoba oil, is that I cant tolerate it. It turns me bright red. Emu oil breaks me out and it also makes the flakes worse. Oils for some reason prevent the flakes from flaking off and then my face feels tight like i have a whole second layer of skin. Its weird. Micro cloths irritate my rosacea bad. I just dont know what to do or use.

Also I am pregnant at this time and I have to watch what i use for rosacea.
fulloflove2
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby spencer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Have you had this condition since you've been pregnant? If so, it might get better later in your pregnancy or afterwards. The dryness in my skin was attributed largely in part to a hormonal imbalance. I have trouble using oil on my skin if I use it on its own. I usually combine it with a little bit of a zinc oxide based cream (Keys Solar Rx). The zinc cream was the only thing that really gave me relief when I had bad flareups and it's safe while you're pregnant. I noticed, however, that a lot of zinc oxide creams have a lot of other bad ingredients. The Keys Solar Rx was the only one I found that was clean and had a very safe safety rating on the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Rating Database.

Since you have high sensitivity right now, I'd recommend a very gentle cream cleanser. I think a lot of people on this board use Cetaphil. I just use cream and water. Use a water-based cream (not too oily) and this should help with redness and won't leave you with that tight feeling. The key is finding a cream you don't react to. A dermatologist can help you with this. As I said before, avoid exfoliating your skin for a bit even if your skin gets a bit flaky for a time. This is often a sign of inflammation. You want to quell the inflammation by trying to avoid compromising the acid mantel (i.e. exfoliating). Over time, your skin will know what to do on its own.

I found that the naturopath and the acupuncturist helped me more with the dry/red skin than the dermatologist, but you might have a different experience. A lot of people have been helped by dermatologists, so it might be worth seeing one to at least get a diagnosis. It will take time for the skin to balance itself again, but you'll get there. My skin was tight like an elastic band, but with time it has softened and I feel like I can actually smile without it hurting.
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Mike T » Sun May 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi,

Sebbhoreic dermatitis flakes need not be white in colour. They can be greyish and even yellowish.

I use compounded antifungals to treat my seb derm.

They are alot more gentle on the skin than the commercially available shampoos which some people use as face washes.

Any antifungal active ingrediant in an aqeous cream should work. I would reccomend sulfur, LPC, zinc pyrithione or a combination.

In Australia you need a prescription to get these creams. I would see a derm as to get the concentrations right. Enough to do the job effectively but not to irritate the skin. It may be a case of trial and error initially.

All the best,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Return to Seborrheic Dermatitis