sebderm and rosacea

Seborrheic Dermatitis, or Seb derm for short, can cause dry itchy, red and scaly skin. It can be found together with rosacea making it even harder to treat. Use this forum to get help with your SD.

sebderm and rosacea

Postby mcinnis » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 pm

hi . i am a newbie to this forum.
i am new to sebderm and have been dealing with rosacea for about 4 yrs. I have acne rosacea with redness and broken caps as well. ipl has worked for me, as well as oral meds- mino and topical creams- noritate and rosasal. in the past. it has been 16months since last IPL , as i was pregnant etc. This winter my skin became really dry with these tiny whitish looking dry bits of what look like dryskin on my face or light hair that i could only see in the mirror upclose. My skin feels kinda rough too, and i am breaking out with p & p's again. i have had 2 IPL recently and I am wondering if it triggered sebderm!?! One week ago my derm said I have seb derm as well, however it was a quick diagonsis in my opinion and would not have been mentioned if I didnt point out to him that my face is dry... but anyway, he gave me Noritate mixed with Lamisil 1% , elidel and Minocyclene oral antibiotics. My face seems to be reacting well to the meds. I am nervous as I read here that alot of people have sebderm flares with IPL. My derm wants me to continue with the IPL.
Just wondering if you could give me some advice on what kind of treatments, cleansors and moisturizers you find good and what your symptoms are for sebderm? (ie: do you flush with sebderm, what are some triggers, do you moisturize and has anyone tried coconut oil, do you get paps like roscea paps etc) I am confused with sebderm as I am having a hard time figuring out what is my rosacea and what is sebderm. UGH!
I do not have a problem with dandruff, flaking or scaling, only these tiny white dry skin on face, unless that is what people mean by flaking. My face gets itchy sometimes but nothing major. I thought I had rosacea figured out now this.
I would really appreciate any help you can give me
:)
mcinnis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: sebderm and rosacea

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:23 am

Hello!

There are a few threads in this section of the forum, actually, that might be helpful :)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2436

If you do have seb derm, one of our members has had great success with honey and coconut oil. Look for the link to her method in this thread (her name is Auburn)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2182&p=16210#p16210

MikeT, one of our mods, also has seb derm, so let me look through his posts to see if I find anything for you.

I will mention, as an aside, I sometimes have visible flakies, and it's honestly just dry skin. I used to not exfoliate because it would aggravate my rosacea, and then I would have a build-up of dry, dry skin. If you doubt your derm, maybe a second opinion would make you feel better?

Ah, here is a post from Dr. Soldo, about IPL and seb derm.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2818&p=20585&hilit=ipl+seb+derm#p20585
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:26 am

Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby mcinnis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

hey. thanks for responding. some useful links.
yes, i wonder too if my skin is just dry and needs to be exfoliated. its been so long since Ive done this, due to my rosacea. i have looked at pics of sebderm and do not have flaky skin at all ,but more like pin size white dots.. like clogged pores or hair shafts.. or maybe this is my sebderm! ugh. who knows. if anyone else has what I am experiencing i would love to hear about it. i will try and post a picture.

have a great weekend
:)
mcinnis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Dee13 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:35 am

Mcinnis,

I am brand new here & just saw my derm the other day.

I have always had fairly mild rosacea, but all of a sudden things just kind of blew up on me.

I developed swollen painful eyes & was just diagnosed with my first case of ocular rosacea & then I started with a small rash that spread fairly rapidly. UGH

Derm says there are actually 3 things going on - seborrheic dermatitis, cheilitis, & a major flare of my rosacea. Was given 3 creams - ketoconazole, metronidazole, & nystatin/triamcinolone.

My face looks like a train wreck with all the redness, flakiness, pustules, etc. have never had anything like this. I'm just praying it will clear up soon, as it is quite uncomfortable on top of being so unsightly!

Wishing you successful answers & treatment for you situation! I totally sympathize with you.
Dee13
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Welcome Dee13
Sorry that your rosaceaexploded in such a painful way. Your prescriptions seem to be the right start. Years ago I had angular cheilitis and got it sorted bu using a method i found on the internet, if that is that you have I'd be happy to share.
Unfortunately you'll have to be patient to see any benefits, but it will get better.
Take care
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Dee13 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Fanny, I would be very interested in how you dealt with yours & got it to clear up! I am beyond frustrated with trying to get this all cleared up! Have gone from relatively mild rosacea to all of a sudden all having so much going on with my skin, I don't know which way to turn.

Just started back on eye drops again today for the ocular rosacea, too. UGH

Don't know what the heck is going on, but sure wish it would all just disappear! : )

Once you got the angular cheilitis cleared up, were you able to keep it cleared?

Am open to any & all suggestions & experiences!

Thanks

Dee
Dee13
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi Dee
I got my angular cheilitis cleared up by using a internet remedy, that I paid for and so I will pass it on to you. You use washing up liquid, like Joy, get a bowl of water and tissues. Moisten the crack at your mouth and then with clean fingertips massage a one drop of washing up liquid into the corner of your mouth, then clean off with the warm water and dry with tissues, put vaseline or aquaphor on it, repeat 4x a day . I use a bit of vaseline in the corners of my mouth every night and have not had to deal with this particular problem again.
Rosacea is another matter howerver!!! So far what has worked for me are doxycycline and vbeam.
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Dee13 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks, Fanny, for the info. Will look for the Aquaphor & give it a try.

Right now, the cheilitis & the seb. derm seems to be the worst. The seb derm popped up so quickly & seems most difficult to clear up. I may end up having to go back to see the derm about the seb derm. Ugh!

So far, the rosacea seems to be doing some better with the metrocream I was given.

Always open to any suggestions, so appreciate your input!
Dee13
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Seborrheic Dermatitis