"Sugar Free" soft drinks

Seborrheic Dermatitis, or Seb derm for short, can cause dry itchy, red and scaly skin. It can be found together with rosacea making it even harder to treat. Use this forum to get help with your SD.

"Sugar Free" soft drinks

Postby Mike T » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 am

Hi guys,

Latley i have been craving something thirst quenching and sweet.

I have always avoided soft drinks for their high sugar content and negative effects on firstly my Seb Derm and then my Rosacea. And i have always believed that even though the "Zero Sugar" soft drinks have no sugar in them, they are still equivently as sweet so they would have the same negative effects on me.

Yesterday, after a hot day onsite, i gave in and cracked open a cold one at my desk. To say the least it was very refreshing and tasted oh sooo good. However as i took the last few sips, a rush of anxt overtook me as i anticipated the effects of this drink on my face the next day.

To my suprise, the next morning my Seb Derm and Rosacea were not much worse than usual.

Now im not sure if this can be attribute to the fact that i hadn't consumed this sort of sugar for a while and if i had another one things may be alot worse.

Upon further investigation i found out that the sweetener which replaces the sugar in these drinks is ~300x sweeter than sugar which is why so little of it needs to be used. But then i would have thought it's effects would be greater than the sugar by the same ratio.

Whats everyone else's experience on this subject?

Cheers,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Re: "Sugar Free" soft drinks

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:28 am

I know for me, and this includes all of my trigger foods--if I avoid them for a few months, I can then have them in a limited amount until my body rebels again. This includes my beloved Pepsi and Coke (regular, not diet).
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:31 pm

So regular coke has the same effects as zero sugar coke on you?

I will try the diet coke again tommorow, and the day after. :P

if no Ill effects are observed then I will be more than happy to stick with the zero sugar alternative... Personally, I find the taste between the two is hardly differential.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby fanny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Mike
I can drink one coke per day with no ill effects, its my treat to myself!
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:15 am

Fanny--lucky!!!

Mike, yes, unfortunately. I think my issue is the citric acid in the soda.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Seborrheic Dermatitis