Is this seb derm

Seborrheic Dermatitis, or Seb derm for short, can cause dry itchy, red and scaly skin. It can be found together with rosacea making it even harder to treat. Use this forum to get help with your SD.

Is this seb derm

Postby pulp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:16 pm

I have what I can only describe as yellow crusty patches on my scalp (quite greasy)
They're like soft scabs - sorry if Im grossing people out!
And like scabs when I feel them I have this irresistible urge to pick at them:)
Then they kind of slide away from my scalp, usually with a few hairs attached.
I treated this with a hydrocortisone liquid called Locoid scalp lotion and that seems to work - except all it really does I think is loosen them up so they come out easier.
It disappeared for a while or at least I didnt notice it but stealth like I think it continued to work.
And its gone further and further back - eating away etc.

Like I said Im really sorry for grossing everyone out but its driving me crazy.
I visited a drop in dermatology clinic and the derm said it was Seb derm and I also had Rosacea on my face.
Thing is I deliberately didnt put anything on my face - so that he could see how dry and flaky it was (normally I was using a cream called cutivate zalf (hydrofobe zalf) and that always worked wonders.

But he seemed to pay more attention to my face than scalp. Now Im wondering if the problem on my scalp really is seb derm.
Does it sound like it to you?

Thanks for any advice - and please dont have nightmares:)
pulp
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Is this seb derm

Postby Artist » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm

I think is sounds exactly like seb derm (a bad case of dandruff). Have you tried Head and Shoulders shampoo? Pyrithione Zinc is the main ingredient, and works really well against the yeast that causes the problem. You just follow the directions on the bottle.

Cheers!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby She Bear » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:20 pm

HI ,

I am new and several years ago was diangosed w/ Seb Derm. However, I have not seen anyone - or pictures- that look similar to mine.

My face gets red blotchy, circles - very dry and scaly. Normally around my chin and sides of mouth. There will be several small, round, red circles...and almost after every shower, my face will be red on my forehead, across the bridge of my nose and over my checks (and i do NOT take hot showers, in fact, b/c of this I try to take as cool as showers as possible).

Do any of these symptoms sound familiar?

About 7 yrs back my face did sooo much better - near perfect - when I was seeing an Allergist - eating a very strict diet - and doing a paraway cleanse, along w/ some supplements. Differenct insurance now - does not cover the Allergist...does this at all sound typical of Seb Derm??
She Bear
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Welcome Bear.
I'm not sure about the 'circular shapes' being Seb Derm. Could it be a type of skin funghi? Or very dry skin patches? In any case you really need to get this seen by a proper Derm/Dr.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby hunkeymonkey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Small red circles and scales sounds like it could be psoriasis

HM
hunkeymonkey
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby angelsmiles689 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:07 pm

My dr told me to use selsem blue or head and shoulders for the Seborriac dermatitis and it helped alot. Also hydrocortizone cream helped as well with clearing it up. She just said wash your face with the shampoo and I did that and when the dermatitis got bad put hydrocortizone and it worked until I now have rosacea
angelsmiles689
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi angelsmiles689 and welcome to our group (wave)

What a very sweet name! Is it only a username or a nickname from family and friends? Adorable, anyway. :)

How very sad that you went on to develop rosacea in addition to seb derm. Steroid rosacea seems to be increasingly - and distressingly - common. Do you think your rosacea was caused by using the hydrocortisone cream your doctor recommended, or do you regard it as just something that would probably have happened anyway? Are you aware of any relatives with rosacea?

What does your doctor (or derm?) have to say on the subject?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Return to Seborrheic Dermatitis