Recommended cover-up/concealer?

Makeup can be a godsend for rosacea sufferers. It might not always cover enough and it might also take some time to find ones that suit you, but covering up a rosacea face can really help your confidence.

Recommended cover-up/concealer?

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Hello!

Does anyone have a recommended cover-up/concealer? I have been using Amazing Concealer, which is good, but not for large areas of the face; sometimes I apply very thin layers and while it does cover, I think you can tell that there's some heavy-duty make-up on, especially at work under those lovely fluorescent lights.

I've tried Bare Minerals, which works for the "perfect" areas of my face, but doesn't sufficiently cover the redness, even after a new trick suggested on the website (making a paste of water and their "concealer", applying, letting dry, then buffing gently). I have also tried Colortration, which I found online. Maybe I don't have the knack, but wow, I looked funny; it's very opaque and hard to blend, drying almost instantly. Even diluting with moisturizer didn't work.

I've read about Cover FX and saw that Make-Up Forever also has a good opaque concealer, and of course Smart Cover from the informercials. Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks! (makeup)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Re: Recommended cover-up/concealer?

Postby mysweetchester » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Hi Cathy:

My Dr. recommended Lancome Tiete Idole foundation sounds like (Tawny Doll.) So far so good and it has good coverage as well.

Hope this helps,
Take Care,
mysweetchester (;)
mysweetchester
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon May 05, 2008 5:20 am

Thank you for your suggestion! I need to get to Nordstrom's and try foundations out. My friend at work, who swears she also has rosacea, but it is 100% not visible, uses Chanel's Teint Innocence, followed by MAC's Studio Fix powder foundation on top. That seems like a lot, especially for one who gets hot very easily; I can just imagine my "face" sliding off at work. But I must admit, she looks great!
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Mon May 05, 2008 11:26 pm

Have you tried this?

La Roche Posay Unifiance Correcteur De Teint Film Fin....Fine Film
Corrective Makeup

Ingredients: water, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone,
glycerin,polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, pentylene glycol, cetyl
dimethicone copolyol, hexyl laurate, acetylated glycol stearate,
magnesium sulfate, tristearin, cellulose gum, acrylates copolymer,
disodium stearoyl glutamate, disteardimonium hectorite,
ethylhexyloxyglycerin/octoxyglycerin, aluminum hydroxide [may contain
titanium dioxide, iron oxides]

http://www.beautyplatinium.com/product_p/lrpm05.htm

It's the only one I've been able to use. It has no preservatives and is totally non-irritating. I have to store it in the freezer, though, since it doesn't have preservatives..

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby ewen2693 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi I swear by smashbox seamless foundation and also their concealer for daily use as provides really good coverage and doesn't irritate. However if I have a night out etc I use dermablend which is excellent. It can be sealed so doesn't wear off, you can even go swimming in it!
ewen2693
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 pm

I am dreading applying make-up tomorrow for work, since it will be 95+ degrees again. Yuck.

Artist, what shade of La Roche Posay Unifiance Foundation Correcteur Emulsion do you buy? I looked at the website http://www.beautyplatinium.com/product_p/lrpuncf.htm, and they don't have the palest shade available, which I would normally go for, only 11, 12, 13, 15, 16. I think they're too dark. My skin tone is like.....let's see.....Liv Tyler. Before the darn rosacea came, of course :-(
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:39 am

Hi Cathy,

CrabbyCathy wrote:Artist, what shade of La Roche Posay Unifiance Foundation Correcteur Emulsion do you buy? I looked at the website http://www.beautyplatinium.com/product_p/lrpuncf.htm, and they don't have the palest shade available, which I would normally go for, only 11, 12, 13, 15, 16. I think they're too dark. My skin tone is like.....let's see.....Liv Tyler. Before the darn rosacea came, of course :-(

I ran a search for you and am not sure if the following thread from March 2007 might help. (Scroll down to access all other posts in the thread.)

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ro ... sage/93518

Artist wrote that she used "La Roche Posay Unifiance Correcteur De Teint Film Fin....Fine Film Corrective Makeup" in BEIGE.

She also wrote "I use #11 in the summer, but in the winter I think #10 would be better since I'm a bit lighter then. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have #10. However, to make the absolute perfect color for me I mix a tad of the #11 with a tad of the green concealer to lighten it up a smidge."

The 'beautyplatinium.com' links don't seem to be working.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:46 am

You saved me again, Aurelia! (sun)
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 am

update: I wrote to the website and they said that #13 is the lightest shade, not number #11 as you would assume. At least, I would, since it's first on the list.

=)
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:19 pm

Cathy: Really? i never would have known that. Thanks!!!! Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Next

Return to Makeup & Cover Up