Desperately Seeking Foundation

Makeup can be a godsend for rosacea sufferers. It might not always cover enough and it might also take some time to find ones that suit you, but covering up a rosacea face can really help your confidence.

Desperately Seeking Foundation

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 am

Making a brand-new thread! I'm beginning to think that there really isn't anything great out there, that covers really well yet doesn't look like I spackled on a ton, and doesn't highlight dryness. And is long-wearing, but does come off with normal cleansing. Maybe I'm asking for too much! (;) Maybe I have to be happy with "medium coverage".....but I refuse to put up with make-up that smears off in a few hours.

Here is what I have tried--and keep in mind, yes, I use a very good moisturizer and primer underneath, and apply liquid foundations with a brush. I don't set with a powder because it highlights my dryness:

Lancome Teint Idole: Light to medium coverage, yet very matte. Highlights every single dry area on my skin, within an hour. Long-wearing yet comes off easily.

Lancome Teint Miracle: Light to medium coverage, moisturizing. After a few hours, tends to separate bit on the skin, and looks like it needs to be re-blended.

Lancome Effacernes Undereye Concealer: Light to medium coverage, a bit matte. I don't think it works well for me for such a large area (cheeks).

Revlon ColorStay: Even with three thin layers, has absolutely the lightest coverage, and won't. come. off!

Revlon Photoready: Medium coverage, but now with my dry cheeks, it's a bit too matte for my liking.

L'Oreal True Match: Light coverage, a bit dry for my skin, not long-wearing.

Maybelline Superstay: Light coverage.

Bare Minerals: Light coverage; good for my non-rosacea areas, but does nothing for the rosacea areas, despite what the commercials show! Have even tried, per a tip on their website, making a paste of the concealer with water, applying, letting dry, and buffing.

Colortration: Ick. Dry, tacky, dries in 1 second, non-blendable.

Everyday Minerals: Same as Bare Minerals; hard to find a good match, color-wise.

Mineral Silk: Same as Bare Minerals. Feels very dry on my cheeks.

Cover FX: Thick and greasy, like Dermablend (in the pot). I can just imagine what it would look like if I happened to sweat.

Dermablend: Thick and greasy, weird colors--couldn't find a match.

Clinique Even Better: Light to medium coverage, good colors, but still not the best.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Re: Desperately Seeking Foundation

Postby emo_lee20 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 am

I have been fighting my severe skin issues for over three years now, so I am also in search for a good foundation. I have tried so many that cause my face to either break out even worse or dry out my skin. A word of advice, Avon's perfect wear extralasting liquid foundation does a great job covering up but man is it hard to get off and it seems to make break outs even worse. I believe I have both subtype 1 and 2, however, have not found a dermatologist knowledgeable enough to diagnose me properly. My skin is constantly red, feverish and has tons of both pustules and paptules on my cheeks and chin. I also get cysts often as well, which leads me to believe that maybe I also have acne on top of the rosacea. I obviously can't say for certain I have rosacea but it seems to fit the best for what I have going on. More than anything, I have just been "putting up" with the chronic bright redness and break outs for the last three years and my self esteem has really suffered to say the least.

As for the foundation, I am currently using bare minerals right now, but I am not too crazy about it. It makes my skin look wrinkly and dry, plus, it doesn't cover the redness very well and after a couple hours, it seems to seperate a bit because of the oil on my skin. The only reason why I continue to use it is because I paid $65 for the kit and on the plus side, it does not make my skin worse like so many of the liquid foundations do. I also decided to try bare minerals because of the infomercial and it is definitely too good to be true in my opinion. Maybe it works great for people with healthy skin tho... just not for me :(
emo_lee20
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bresus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:02 am

I personally LOVE the Lancome long-wear foundation you mentioned. It makes my skin look really nice! But I have very oily skin. For the areas that tend to get red, I put a very thin layer of Makeup Forever Full Cover Concealer (Sephora). It comes in a small tube. I find that a little bit dabbed on with the fingertip provides just enough pigmentation to camouflage the red. It cakes quite easily though, so I try to use as little as possible. That's what is working for me right now! As funny as it sounds, I feel so happy when people tell ask me "Are you okay? You look a little pale..." I just think to myself..."Oh if they only knew..."
Bresus
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fedupwithred » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:37 am

I would like to try this one. Have you heard anything about it? It claims to be formulated for rosacea sufferers...

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P266112&categoryId=B70

At Ease™ Micronized Clay Calming Concealer with ARPM™
What it is:
A corrective yellow cream and powder concealer that reduces redness associated with rosacea and sun exposure by 50% in just 4 weeks.

What it does:
This neutralizing yellow concealer is infused with a proprietary ARPM™ (anti-redness peptide matrix) to regulate and decrease the secretion of a pro-inflammatory protein that causes redness and inflammation, which effectively reduces both. The skin-saving, High-Performance Natural™ concealer combines with the antioxidant properties of tea, the calming properties of aloe leaf, and the soothing quality of honey. The neutralizing yellow setting powder adds an extra skin-calming layer, infused with the skin perfecting Amazonian clay, nature's most perfect ingredient. This acts as a total skin balancer by reducing dryness and flakiness, improving clarity and texture, and removing surface oil to mattify the skin for a soft focus and flawless finish; all while replenishing and rehydrating skin.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrance
- Synthetic Dye
- Petro-Chemicals
- Phthalates

What else you need to know:
In addition to Amazonian clay, At Ease™ Micronized Clay Calming Concealer contains ARPM™, an anti-redness peptide matrix that is clinically proven to reduce redness associated with rosacea and sun exposure by 50% in just 4 weeks, camellia tea, which is a powerful astringent with toning properties that help reduce puffiness and inflammation, honey extract to help reduce inflammation and aide in tissue healing, and aloe leaf extract, which is widely known for its soothing, healing, and antiseptic properties that help maintain moisture balance in the skin.

Research Results:
ARPM™: 50% reduction in redness associated with rosacea and sun exposure in just 4 weeks
fedupwithred
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:17 am

Bresus wrote:I feel so happy when people tell ask me "Are you okay? You look a little pale..." I just think to myself..."Oh if they only knew..."

That's my favorite too!

@fedupwithred: Hmm, that product is by Tarte! I had not heard of it before. Some reviewers like it, others don't. I think it sounds interesting! Yellow can help with redness, if it's not TOO yellow. Sephora is good with samples, usually. And it sounds like the Clinique powder--they say it reduces redness.

Today, I went to Nordstrom to get a Laura Mercier foundation I had read about, but as usual--her colors are just too weird for me. Nothing matched. The salesperson who helped me said she always has that problem with LM and Bobbi Brown--they're just extremely yellow, and BB is greasy. (I actually swiped my finger on a BB foundation stick--yuck. It felt like a lipstick!) She said she has a large rosacea clientele, and to help them, did some research online, researched all the make-up lines Nordstrom sells, etc. She was really knowledgeable, and steered me towards a Christian Dior foundation. It's not long-wearing, because she let me try that one and it looked dry. This one is a liquid and covered fairly nicely! I shall have to experiment on my own; you know how the lights are in the store, and they tend to put it on heavier than you would. She also recommended a powder for over the top; it's very light, and didn't seem to make me look powdery and dry. I shall try both tomorrow and let you know how it goes, since I will have a full day ahead of me.

Diorskin Nude

Diorskin Forever

This is another foundation she says is a favorite of her rosacea clients:

Capture Totale
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 am

Oh yes! I forgot. I always thought using a primer (those silicone-based ones) was a must under foundation, especially for dry skin. She said it actually makes skin drier, and she doesn't recommend them.

AND I was testing out Velvet Skin Coat by DHC. Today was my second day, and I swear I thought I was having a hot flash or something. Flaming red, throbbing, hot. Came home, washed my face. My skin returned to normal. It was that darned primer!
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby fedupwithred » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:10 am

CrabbyCathy wrote:Oh yes! I forgot. I always thought using a primer (those silicone-based ones) was a must under foundation, especially for dry skin. She said it actually makes skin drier, and she doesn't recommend them.

AND I was testing out Velvet Skin Coat by DHC. Today was my second day, and I swear I thought I was having a hot flash or something. Flaming red, throbbing, hot. Came home, washed my face. My skin returned to normal. It was that darned primer!

Is it possible the silicone based ones act almost as an insulator, keeping the skin warm and thus inducing a flush?
fedupwithred
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:14 am

I'll have to test out my Lancome and Bare Minerals ones again, and try to notice....I don't remember any reaction like this one (with the DHC).
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby fedupwithred » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:24 am

CrabbyCathy wrote:I'll have to test out my Lancome and Bare Minerals ones again, and try to notice....I don't remember any reaction like this one (with the DHC).

iI'm going to pick up the "tarte" powder and i'll let you know what I think :) It's fairly expensive, but im crossing my fingers. For me, i have to go into flourecesent light to put my green makeup on because the yellow cast of the flourescent bulb makes me not able to see the red so i cant tell if my makeup is working...hopefully this will do the same :)
fedupwithred
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:38 am

At work, we have fluorescents, and they make me look worse--or real? Ha ha! I dread the lighting at work. It's like I'm not wearing any make-up.

So! I tested out the foundation and powder today, with no primer, only my regular moisturizer. I put it on at 7 a.m., and around 3 p.m., I started to feel burn-y and flush-y. By 4, my skin felt a little numb and uncomfortable. I thought maybe it was the coffee I drank (although I usually have no problems), or perhaps nerves were making me flush a bit (jury duty), although I'm not really a flusher. But as soon as I came home, I washed my face, and my skin stopped burning, etc. I looked the same--rashy--but felt great. So, I'm forced to think it's an ingredient in the foundation.

Reading the box, I unfortunately see that it does contain a chemical sunscreen (doh) and even though the lady said they had removed fragrance from their products, it was listed, and I could smell it as I was applying it this morning. It's too bad, because it looked pretty good when freshly applied! By 3, though, it did seem to have worn off a bit.

I WISH I could find a good mineral make-up--those don't wear off, rub off, etc. but they just don't cover well, for me.
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Makeup & Cover Up