Tinted Moisturisers

Makeup can be a godsend for rosacea sufferers. It might not always cover enough and it might also take some time to find ones that suit you, but covering up a rosacea face can really help your confidence.

Re: Tinted Moisturisers

Postby Artist » Thu May 21, 2009 9:43 pm

I tried the Laura Mercier Tinted SPF 20 and it doesn't bother my skin at all. I love it! In fact, I am having fewer fare-ups now that I am using sun protection regularly. I was always of the opinion that a hat should do the trick, but on really sunny days I do think the UV rays were still affecting my skin. Even though it uses chemical sunscreens, I think I actually like it better than zinc oxide based sunblocks, since those dry my skin. I think my skin just really becomes dry very easily, and so all my products must be moisturizing (with basic ingredients, no fragrace, etc..).

I asked the employees at the counter if they thought this product would be discontinued and they gave me a look of horror. Apparently it's a long-term product that sells amazingly wel. I can see why. If my skin agees with it, it must be extremely gentle on the skin.

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Artist » Thu May 21, 2009 9:44 pm

mimicocolulu I can't thank you enough for starting this thread. As stated, I went ahead and "branched out" after being presented with the fact that there are endless products to try and perhaps I gave up prematurely. I have since found several things my skin loves, and this routine is easier than mixing and making things myself.

Right now I use the following:

Toleraine Dermo Cleanser and Clarisonic to wash.
Finacea at night.
Vanicream Moisture Cream to moisturize.
Lancome La Base Pro (silicone makeup primer) to smooth and protect.
Laura Mercier SPF 20 tinted sunscreen, applied with foundation brush.
Lancome Waterproof Undereye concealer, tiny tiny amount "stipled" on with concealer brush in any problem areas.

So far so good, but I just started the la base pro and Laura Mercier a week ago so we'll see...

I also take Tetracycline, fish oil, one baby aspirin per day, and one saw palmetto at night. I recently added Red Clover ticture once or twice per day during the second half of my cycle to counteract the hormonal flushing I get around that time. I might add zinc sulphate soon, but one thing at a time..

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri May 22, 2009 8:22 am

My friend (who also has rosacea) recommended Lorac ProtecTINT SPF 30 Tinted Oil-Free Moisturizer, and surprisingly I like it! It also has chemical sunscreen ingredients, but they don't bother me. It of course doesn't cover 100%, but makes a nice base for my foundation.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P172737&categoryId=B70
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Sat May 23, 2009 1:18 am

Another example of the endless options we have. I'll keep my eye out for it and get a sample of that one. Thanks!!
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby yoli » Thu May 28, 2009 2:58 am

Artist, I am really confused now in regards to makeup i am looking for a makeup that can cover some of my lovely pimples and the redness but i am very confused and don't know what to do scare to use something that will me make me breakout even more. My forehead is oily and I get those nasty looking red pimples. Need Help??????????????????
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artist » Thu May 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Have you tried mineral makeup, like Jane Iredale or Bare Minerals? Many with rosacea do well with it because they have so few ingredients. Mineral makeups tend to dry my skin, but perhaps they would be good on oily skin.. These are also nice because of the spf, so you get coverage and sun protection at the same time..

My favorite for covering any spots is the Lancome Waterproof Undereye concealer. It has only basic ingredients and no fragrance. It has never caused breakouts or irritated my skin, but of course you would have to try it to see if your skin likes it. If it were me, I'd get a free sample at the Lancome counter and try it for a few days. The best way to apply is with a concealer brush, and they can show you how. It really makes a difference when you apply makeup correctly...

The Laura Mercier spf20 Tinted moisturizer advertises that it controls oil while it moisturizes, so it may be ok for your skin. However, I'd wait until my skin was relatively calm before adding it (if you ever do) since it does have chemical sunscreens.

In any case, I say that if you make up your mind that being able to cover the breakouts is important to you, then you can methodically try concealers or foundations until you find one you like.

I recently decided that I MUST wear sunscreen. I promised myself that I would never go a day without sunsdcreen unless letting my skin rest in between trying brands. Soon after, I found the Laura Mercier. I am still early on in using it, but so far I am happy with it and I don't have to worry so much about hats all the time. Yay!

Cheers!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby yoli » Thu May 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Thank you Artist for your response. I have an outing this weekend and I don't know what to use for make up so I am going to ask for a free sample of the concealer and just use that until I find something else what do you think? can i blend it on my entire face? My face has days and of course in Miami is getting really hot and muggy so it doesn't help my face at all. It has been 4 months that I am taking Oracea and I also started to use finacea at night on the main spots. I hate my face
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artist » Thu May 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Yes you can use it all over if needed. I would just get a concealer brush and dot a tiny, tiny, tiny amount all over your rosacea areas and gently brush over top to blend. If yu have any breakouts, stipple (small short touches) those areas instead. Stippling the concealer instead of using a smoothing motion minimizes bumps better.

Remember, since it is a concealer, it is best to put on a very thin layer since it will look thick and cakey if you overdo it.

I say don't be shy and tell the person at the Lancome counter that is what you want to try, and he or she can show you how best to apply it. When applied to moisturized skin, I think it looks fabulous!

While you are there you may want to also get a sample of the La Base Pro. This is a silicone makeup primer that goes on under your makeup. It smooths the skin even more, and I think is an amazing find for rosacea since it has only two ingredients. The two ingredients are both silicones, which will protect our delicate skin. I apply the La Base Pro after my Vanicream Moisture Cream soaks in, wait a few minutes, then my sunscreen, then the Lancome Waterproof Undereye Concealer if needed.

Here are the two products I mentioned above:
Lancome La Base Pro
Lancome Waterproof Undereye Concealer

Here is a great sunscreen:
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20

While you are at the makeup counters, you could swing by Laura Mercier and get a sample of that, too. Wheeee!

Also, You can get concealer and foundation brushes at the drug store. The ones at the mall are super expensive.

I recommend trying each new thing only in one area for at least a few days. If you try it all over and then your skin breaks out, you will have no way of knowing if the product caused it or if it was just a regular breakout you would have gotten whether or not you had tried it. Reactions and irritation should be obvious in the area that you apply the new product, so maybe choose the area you want to cover the most and try it on a portion of that area for a few days. I can apply the concealer to even my most sensitive areas without any problem at all.

Cheers!

Artist
Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby yoli » Fri May 29, 2009 2:57 am

thank you artist, i will be going to Lancome tomorrow to get samples and will use it saturday night as i am going out the only thing is that i would want to use it in my entire face that night but i guess i can try it tomorrow night and see how i react. Thank you.
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Previous

Return to Makeup & Cover Up