Tinted Moisturisers

Makeup can be a godsend for rosacea sufferers. It might not always cover enough and it might also take some time to find ones that suit you, but covering up a rosacea face can really help your confidence.

Tinted Moisturisers

Postby mimicocolulu » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:27 am

Tinted moisturisers are not spoken of very often, but I think they are a valuable rosacea tool. Many people don't like to wear makeup everyday. Likewise a tinted moisturiser is perfect for men because it doesn't look like makeup. In fact you can't see it at all.

What's the difference between traditional foundation and a tinted moisturiser?

Tinted moisturiser goes on light, hydrates your skin, and for those which contain an SPF, it provides protection against the damaging effects of the sun. (Remember, 90 percent of wrinkles are caused by the sun’s UVA light.) Moreover, the sheer coverage of a tinted moisturiser gives your face a natural glow. Some tinted moisturisers even help reduce the appearance of tiny lines. If you haven't tried a tinted moisturiser before, you're missing out on a lighter, healthier look.

A tinted moisturiser will not cover a deep flush however. For situations where you know that you will be vulnerable, I would still opt for a foundation of some kind. But it will dull the appearance of a light flush. For everyday use, it is perfect.

Now that skincare companies have seen the popularity of tinted moisturisers, you will find hundreds on the market. And don't think that you can't afford it. First of all, you’ll save money on just buying one product instead of a separate foundation and moisturiser. Secondly, there are a number of excellent options all under $20. Here's just a sample of top tinted moisturisers that won't hurt your wallet.

Low priced Tinted Moisturisers
* Cover Girl CG Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisturiser comes in at number one in my list of top tinted moisturisers under $10. You can buy Cover Girl CG Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisturiser in fair, medium, and dark tones to match your skin. Cover Girl CG Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisturiser uses vitamin E to smooth your skin. It won't clog pores and is completely oil free. Cover Girl CG Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisturiser is basically a very sheer moisturiser with a hint of tinted color that will leave you with a noticeably healthy glow.
+ Burt’s Bees Natural Cosmetics Tinted Facial Moisturisers. The packaging has the usual Burt’s Bees old timey feel, but what is inside is definitely the latest technology in tinted moisturisers for the face. The color is a little stronger than some other tinted facial moisturiser products I have tried, which is excellent for those times that the redness is more pronounced.
* Revlon Age Defying Light Makeup with Botafirm for Every Skin. Winner of the Best Tinted Moisturiser in 2005. Offering strong SPF 30 protection, it’s also non-pore-clogging and designed for sensitive skin. Best of all, it’s sweatproof, making it ideal for summer wear. It visibly firms skin, reduces the appearance of fine lines, and conceals blemishes without looking heavy. If you love to look natural and not overly made-up, Revlon’s tinted moisturiser is the way to go.
* Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Tinted Moisturiser
* OLAY Complete Plus Ultra-Rich Tinted Moisturiser
* Hard Candy Hint Tint
* Revlon SkinLights Diffusing Tint Foundation SPF 15

Medium to high priced Tinted Moisturisers
* Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser, This is my absolute favourite. This sheer, lightweight moisturiser contains a protective SPF 20 sunscreen and a hint of color that can be used in place of foundation for a natural finish that adds a healthy glow to your complexion. Available in 7 colors for fair to deep skin tones. I love it!
* Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturiser SPF 15. My second favourite choice in the tinted moisturiser category. Want even-looking skin, but aren’t willing to take the foundation plunge? This moisturiser is packed with sun protection and just enough color to even skin tone. The light, hydrating formula is ideal for all skin types and comes in natural, see-through shades. Application is a cinch and the coverage is long lasting, leaving you with a perfect finish every time.
* Bobbi Brown SPF 15 Tinted Moisturiser. I love this one also. The masculine packaging will appeal to the guys.
* MAC Select Tint SPF 15
* Prescriptives Traceless Skin Responsive Tint
* Sonia Kashuk Hydro-Tint SPF 15
* Becca Luminous Skin Color SPF 20
* Origins Nude and Improved Bare-face Makeup with SPF 15
* Peter Thomas Roth Max Tinted Protective Day Cream
* Paula Dorf Face Tint SPF 15
* Chanel Hydromax + Tint Moisture Boost SPF 15
* La Mer The SPF 18 Fluid Tint
* Aveda Inner Light Tinted Moisture SPF 15
* Stephane Marais Fluid Foundation
* Sebastian Trucco Tinted Moisturiser
* Skingenious Eau2 Colour
* Alison Raffaele Tinted Moisturiser
* N.V. Perricone, M.D. Active Tinted Moisturiser SPF 15
* Kiehl's Ultra Facial Tinted Moisturiser SPF 15
* Estée Lauder 'DayWear Plus' Multi Protection Tinted Moisturiser SPF 15
* Shiseido 'The Skincare' Essential Tinted Moisturiser SPF 15
* Trish McEvoy 'Protective Shield' Moisturising Tint SPF 15
* Lancôme 'Bienfait Multi-Vital' SPF 30 Tinted Moisturiser
* Yves Saint Laurent Teint de Jour Tinted Matt Moisturiser
* MD Skincare® All-in-One Tinted Moisturiser SPF 15
* Erno Laszlo Tinted Treatment SPF 15
* Estée Lauder DayWear Plus Multi Protection Anti-Oxidant Moisturiser SPF 15 Sheer Tint Release Formula
* Smashbox Backdrop Cooling Tint SPF 15
* Clarins Colour Tint
* Clarins Moisture Quenching Hydra-Balance Tinted Moisturiser
* Lancôme 'Imanance' Tinted Day Creme SPF 15
* Lorac ProtecTINT™ SPF 30 - Oil-Free Tinted Moisturiser
* Dr. Brandt Tinted Daily UV Protection SPF 30
* Cosmedicine Honest Face Skin Tint & Treatment SPF 20

This is just a starting point, as there are many more, but I hope it helps to guide you in the right direction.
mimicocolulu
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: Tinted Moisturisers

Postby deegirl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm

I posted this link on another thread but just in case anyone missed it. A very good tinted moisturizer/sunblock is

http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=2143506

I've tried a lot of these and they usually end up feeling heavy on my skin (blocked pores), causing a major flareup (if there is any chemical sunscreen in there) or looking very greasy. This one has a slippery feel when you first put it on but it dries to a light matte (almost powdery) finish.

Ulta has testers of this so I tried a little on my cheek first before I bought it.

PS I don't work for Ulta or PTR.
deegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mimicocolulu » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:16 am

deegirl wrote:I posted this link on another thread but just in case anyone missed it. A very good tinted moisturizer/sunblock is

http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=2143506

I've tried a lot of these and they usually end up feeling heavy on my skin (blocked pores), causing a major flareup (if there is any chemical sunscreen in there) or looking very greasy. This one has a slippery feel when you first put it on but it dries to a light matte (almost powdery) finish.

Ulta has testers of this so I tried a little on my cheek first before I bought it.

PS I don't work for Ulta or PTR.

That's great that you have found a product which suits you well.

The ingredient list for the PTR tinted moisturiser is:
Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891) 14.7% Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Squalane, Isononyl Isononanoate, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Stearic Acid, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Aluminum Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ret- Inyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Dimethi- Cone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspoly- Mer, Bisabolol, Synthetic Wax, Cyclomethicone, Methyl Methacryl- Ate Crosspolymer, Laureth-12, Iso- Propyl Titanium Triisostearate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Phenoxyethanol, Red 6 Lake (CI 15850).

You mention a 'slippery' feel. This is because the first 2 ingredients belong to the Silicone family. I can see others in the ingredient list too. These Silicones are used in face primers and hair serums.

They work by staying on or near the surface of the skin or hair, producing an occlusive effect. However, occlusive properties can result in clogged pores, leading to pimples, bumps, and blackheads, This layer on the skin, retains anything and everything beneath it, including impurities, sebum, and bacteria, as well as water. Therefore, it's very important that the skin is clean before you apply the product and to also cleanse thoroughly after of course.

For all rosaceans, sensitive skin, acne-prone skin or allergic skin, occlusive emollients may aggravate your situation, so always do a spot test and start slowly.

If you are not sensitive, then this is a very good product to try. I have heard many glowing reports in it's favour. The high SPF 30 is brilliant.

Why would anyone think you work for Ulta or PTR deegirl?
mimicocolulu
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Aurelia » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:26 am

mimicocolulu wrote:Why would anyone think you work for Ulta or PTR deegirl?

Unfortunately, groups come under a lot of pressure from people trying to pump up sales for the products they either manufacture or sell. They mostly try to pass for ordinary members just sharing info out of the goodness of their dear little hearts. :roll:

For that reason, when genuine members post favourable comments about products, it can be helpful to add "I don't work for X" or "I have no connections with Y or Z".

Speaking as a mod, any such clarification is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby deegirl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:41 pm

My skin is extremely sensitive and prone to breakouts. I've always been a little afraid of silicones because my skin is very oily in the t-zone. This product causes me no problems.

Like I said, they have testers at Ulta and they have a 60 day return policy so if anyone is interested they can try it. This is the best tinted moisturizer with sunblock I've ever tried. It doesn't make me red (as anything with a chemical screen will do) and it doesn't break me out like those with a physical block usually do.

The majority of the products on your list contain silicones. Your favorite Laura Mercier

Purified water, cetearyl alcohol (and) PEG-40 Castor Oil (and) POE-20, dimethicone, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, cyclomethicone, DEA-ceryl phosphate, hexyl laurate, kalaya oil, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E acetate), cetyl dimethicone copolyol, diazolidinyl urea, sodium dehydroacetate, sodium hyaluronate, allantoin, carbomer, methylparaben, magnesium aluminum silicate, sodium ascorbate (vitamin C), propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica.

has several listed as well. It's wonderful that you've found a product that works so well for you. However, It also has Octyl methoxycinnamate & menthyl anthranilate as chemical sunscreens. These don't provide broad spectrum protection so it would be necessary to wear a broad spectrum sunblock underneath. There is also some concern that chemical sunscreens cause free radical damage.

Thank you, Aurelia, for the clarification about why I said I don't work for Ulta or PTR.
deegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:46 pm

deegirl wrote:Thank you, Aurelia, for the clarification about why I said I don't work for Ulta or PTR.

No problem. It is true that people are often mystified why someone would say "I don't work for X company", but it can be a sensible move when praising a product, given the ratbags who sometimes try to work the boards.

As for ingredients, it is astonishing how often a product that causes problems for some rosaceans will work brilliantly for others. The best we can do is offer our own experiences, pass on any warnings or advice we can, and stand back. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Artist » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:08 pm

I seriously have to branch out when trying cosmetics. I had no idea there were so many to choose from. Thanks for this excellent list/info.

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby dan112 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:20 am

Hi

I would like to start using a tinted moisturiser but haven't got a clue where to start, being a guy. I have moderate rosacea with an oily t zone and have acne so need one that will not make me break out or more oily. Does anyone have the same type of skin and is using a tinted moisturiser?

Thanks for your help

Daniel
dan112
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Thu May 21, 2009 10:55 am

Welcome Daniel.
It can be hard to find a tinted moisturiser which works for you so it's always a good idea to ask for sample and apply on a small patch of skin in case you get a reaction.

Take care.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby dan112 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks for your reply Lisa.

Yea that is what I was going to do, I just wondered if anyone with the same sort of skin as mine has had any success with a tinted moisturiser as there are so many to try. Was going to try the cover girl one but not sure where to buy it in the UK.

Thanks

Daniel
dan112
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to Makeup & Cover Up