misdiagnosis of acne, now diagnosed with rosacea

Have you just been diagnosed with rosacea ? This is the forum for you. You can walk out of the doctor's office with a head full of questions and feeling overwhelmed. Well settle in here and see that you head in the right direction to get some good relief from your symptoms.

misdiagnosis of acne, now diagnosed with rosacea

Postby beecham » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi Everyone

I wasdiagnosed in December 2007 with pustular rosacea by my new doctor, I was on oxytetracycline for about a year before with my previous doctor who had misdiagnosed me with perioral dermatitis.

My new doctor has prescribed me with Acea gel (Metronidazole) without any antibiotics and said this should clear it up, I tend to get painful pustules around the curve of my nose, chin and around my lips. The gel does not seem to work for me I have been using it for nearly three months now and I haven't seen any improvement.

Is there anything I should try possibly thats out there ie. holisitic therapies or creams that are non prescription that people have had a good experience with?

I am 25 years old, male and live in the UK.

I don't want to go back to the doctors this soon as I know he will just say keep using the gel for longer.
beecham
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: misdiagnosis of acne, now diagnosed with rosacea

Postby Artist » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 pm

Luckily the perioral dermatitis treatment you started on shouldn't have hurt the rosacea. It probably helped, in fact. Did you use any harsh acne products, thinking it was acne for the last few months? I think stopping those products will help a lot, if you have been using any...

There are many non-prescription options you can try. Did you look through the different sections here?

Welcome!!!!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby beecham » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:27 pm

I did try some acne treatments but that was nearer the start of my first diagnosis of perioral dermatitis which was over a year ago now, the antibiotics I was prescribed back then did help a lot, but since then my body has got used to them so as soon as I would have a bad breakout the medication just stopped working.

I have heard of some stuff called 'Bio-balm' which is supposed to be goood but cant find anywhere that sells it in the uk? and I dont want to have to pay for expensive shipping from overseas if I can help it.
beecham
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi, and welcome to the group.

Have you tried googling on the item to see if you can find the producers, so you can ask them if they have any UK stockists?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Return to Just Diagnosed with Rosacea