Connection between rosacea, asthma, migraines?

Have you just been diagnosed with rosacea ? This is the forum for you. You can walk out of the doctor's office with a head full of questions and feeling overwhelmed. Well settle in here and see that you head in the right direction to get some good relief from your symptoms.

Connection between rosacea, asthma, migraines?

Postby abatchm » Fri May 29, 2009 2:01 am

Hi, I just joined this group--looks very informative. I've had rosacea for a few years, which continues to progress to the point that I am almost constantly flushed and beat red all the way down to my neck. It's gotten so extreme that people have asked me if I'm having an allergic reaction or a heart attack. I do have a history of "blushing" and ruddy complexion as a child. I'm fair skinned, have had LOTS of blistering sunburns when I was a kid (hey those were the days when we used to lather up in baby oil and lay on tin foil--sick I know), and had acne as a teen. I also have a strong family history of ruddiness, blushing, and a few of my sibs have rosacea, though not as severe as mine. So I guess I'm a good set up for rosacea.

My question is this. Does anyone know if there is a connection between migraines, asthma and rosacea? I find it very curious that I have been diagnosed with all these conditions just in the past 5 years. I also find it interesting that all of these conditions have environmental "triggers" associated with them--perhaps I am experiencing severe allergic responses that I am unaware of? My doctor doesn't seem to think it's any big deal, but I am really thinking that there is some connection.

I am pretty informed about asthma and migraines and both are under control with meds and trigger avoidance. Apparently my triggers for rosacea aren't the same as those of asthma and migraines. I'm not that informed about rosacea, though I have begun to do some research now. I've seen a dermatologist a couple of times who has prescribed a topical cream (which had zero effectiveness) and really pushed for laser intervention, which I don't want and can't afford.

Any insight into a connection between these conditions would be really helpful!

Thanks so much, I hope to learn a lot here.
-Anne.....blushing and flushing in Boston!
abatchm
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Connection between rosacea, asthma, migraines?

Postby SouthernMoss » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 am

Welcome to our community!

I don't know of a connection between migraines, asthma, and rosacea, but would be interested to hear anything you come up with in your research.

What treatments are you currently using for your rosacea?
SouthernMoss
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sat May 30, 2009 10:33 am

I haven't heard of a connection, either....and speaking for myself and two rosacea friends I have, none of us have migraines or asthma. Make that three friends.

It could just be coincidence....perhaps you have had milder asthma symptoms, etc. your entire lift and just now finally got a concrete diagnosis?

How long did you use the cream from the dermatologist before deciding it didn't work? Some do take weeks to work. Perhaps you can try another, there are many options out there.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby abatchm » Sun May 31, 2009 1:17 am

Thanks for the replies. I cannot remember the name of the cream--I still have it around. I used it religiously for 6 months with no results whatsoever. The MD told me that if it doesn't work after 6 months, that it won't.

In terms of my asthma, yes, I probably did have asthma as a child that was very mild. But by the time I hit about 40 I could no longer ignore the symptoms.

I have a lot of environmental/seasonal allergies which can be pretty severe (I used to do allergy shots when I was a kid) and migraines and asthma both have environmental triggers as a component....and I'm learning that for many people, rosacea does as well. I've been reading that rosacea symptoms can be improved by diet--which can be true of migraines and asthma as well. Weird, huh?

Just as an aside. I have given up diet coke just in the last few days. I've been basically addicted to it for oh about 20+ years. It cannot be doing me any good and honestly, I was getting sick of the taste. It has been affecting me strangely too as I cannot sleep if I have one after about 2pm. But I can drink coffee well into the night and I can still sleep. And lately I've been noticing that my facial flushing really intensifies after I've been drinking diet coke. Anyway, the flushing symptoms of my rosacea are markedly better since not drinking diet coke...and it's only been a few days. Is it the artificial sweetener? Like I said, I don't think it could be the caffeine because I seem to tolerate coffee and tea just fine.

Thanks again, I really needed to find this group!

-Anne
abatchm
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SouthernMoss » Sun May 31, 2009 3:32 am

abatchm wrote:the flushing symptoms of my rosacea are markedly better since not drinking diet coke...and it's only been a few days. Is it the artificial sweetener? Like I said, I don't think it could be the caffeine because I seem to tolerate coffee and tea just fine.

It could be the artificial sweetener, or any of the other ingredients, including any preservatives.
SouthernMoss
Moderator Team

Postby abatchm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 am

I think you are right about the artificial sweetener....I've been "off" diet coke for less than a week and my flushing is SO much better!!! I think I've only had 1-2 flushing events in the last 5 days--and I was pretty much flushed and blushed constantly. It couldn't really be this easy of a solution, could it? I mean, I still have the classic red, butterfly rosacea pattern on my cheeks, nose, and usually chin...that I can handle. It was the extreme hot flashes and blushing that were getting really out of hand. I'm sure I haven't seen the end of the flushing, but I can't believe it's improved so much in such a short time. Makes me wonder what else the artificial sweetener is doing inside of me. Yuck!
abatchm
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 am

abatchm wrote:I think you are right about the artificial sweetener....I've been "off" diet coke for less than a week and my flushing is SO much better!!! I think I've only had 1-2 flushing events in the last 5 days--and I was pretty much flushed and blushed constantly. It couldn't really be this easy of a solution, could it? I mean, I still have the classic red, butterfly rosacea pattern on my cheeks, nose, and usually chin...that I can handle. It was the extreme hot flashes and blushing that were getting really out of hand. I'm sure I haven't seen the end of the flushing, but I can't believe it's improved so much in such a short time. Makes me wonder what else the artificial sweetener is doing inside of me. Yuck!

That's great to hear! (clapping) It won't make your rosacea disappear, but it's a giant help, isn't it? Dairy and soda are like that with me; avoid them, and I look pretty good--it improves to the point that I'm "okay" with my appearance.

My friend had some weird reaction to aritifical sweetener too--something to do with her eyes. You never know how your own body will react to different ingredients.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby abatchm » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks Cathy for the encouragement! It's been a week now since I've been off the diet coke and I have seen a HUGE improvement. Yes, I realize it's not going to cure my rosacea, but I look better (less red) and best of all, the flushing and blushing is very infrequent now. That was very uncomfortable, both physically and psychologically, so I am glad it is less!

Just as an aside, my cravings for certain foods have diminished hugely too...I think because I often ate things like chips with my diet coke! Yeah, I know, duh!!!

Thanks again,
Anne
abatchm
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sharon.s » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Rosaesa, Asthma (weasing, closing or attack) and migraines headaches can all be triggered by allergies as well as stress.

I have been reading that Singular which is to prevent allergies is good for rosaesa.
sharon.s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Hello Sharon.
Can you tell us where you read that singulair is good for Rosacea? Some people here have tried it with mixed reviews.

See threads below:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33&hilit=singulair

and this well worth reading from Rosacea News "warning: Singulair might cause depression":
http://rosacea-support.org/warning-sing ... ssion.html

Which type of Rosacea do you have?
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Just Diagnosed with Rosacea