Newbie...not sure I trust my Derm

Have you just been diagnosed with rosacea ? This is the forum for you. You can walk out of the doctor's office with a head full of questions and feeling overwhelmed. Well settle in here and see that you head in the right direction to get some good relief from your symptoms.

Newbie...not sure I trust my Derm

Postby Ann527 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi, All~~I was dx'd w/rosacea two weeks ago from a biopsy of a 'bump' on the L side of my nose. But...my Derm's PA didn't remove the sutures and didn't talk to me about the finding. I had to make another appt. to talk to my Derm's PA next week. Yesterday, I found a pus-filled papule (sp) on my R lower cheek, which I opened w/a sterilized needle and expressed the pus. I'm angry. But I'm more concerned about what products I need to be using on my face. For the past 40 years, Drs have been trying to fit me into Sjogren's Syndrome dx because of my dry eyes w/blepharitis, etc., so now my ocular issues finally make sense and my ophalmologist (sp?) has been told about the rosacea. We're doing all that can be done, so I'm confident about my eye care.

I've been reading what products are available OTC, but I don't have a good sense of what's good for me because my Dr didn't tell me what type of rosacea I have. Any suggestions? I've been using Desonide (steroid) for the bump they biopsied, but apparently that may not be a good idea? I'm just not feeling the love from my Derm's office... :-( Thanks for any information anyone can share~~Ann
Ann527
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Newbie...not sure I trust my Derm

Postby JennAdeleK » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Hey there! Not sure if this will help you or not, as I am also recently diagnosed. But, I have done well so far washing my face 2x per day (AM and PM) with pure, raw honey. It's super gentle and antimicrobial... but it has to be raw. Processed honey won't have the same benefits. After washing, I put a pure aloe vera gel (I get mine from Mountain Rose Herbs online) on as my moisturizer. I actually put aloe on 4x per day (AM, AP, PM and just before bedtime). It is super calming and also antimicrobial. In addition, my doc gave me a script for Metrogel, which I'm currently patch testing for 2 weeks to see how my skin responds to it before using it all over my entire face. I am very sensitive, so I patch test everything before use.

Other than that, I eat a clean, organic, individually-tailored AIP diet (Google autoimmune protocol diet) to keep triggers and inflammatory foods at bay... and I think it's been beneficial... though most likely this is not a cure in and of itself. It's just a help. But, I will tell you right now, you can totally forget eating out at a restaurant or at someone else's house.

As for sun protection, I just wear a great big old hat and have mesh sun screens in my car windows that I put down as needed. I don't use a topical sunscreen, as I react to all of them.

Hope this at least helps you get started along your healing journey...
JennAdeleK
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: Newbie...not sure I trust my Derm

Postby elliesmith » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Try sleeping with two pillows. Less blood going to facial area. Works better if I sleep on my back.
elliesmith
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Just Diagnosed with Rosacea