Seb Derm and Swollen nose!

Have you just been diagnosed with rosacea ? This is the forum for you. You can walk out of the doctor's office with a head full of questions and feeling overwhelmed. Well settle in here and see that you head in the right direction to get some good relief from your symptoms.

Seb Derm and Swollen nose!

Postby sami » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:51 am

Hi everybody.

I'm Sami from Syria, a 29 years old male.
My English is not that good, so I'll try my best to be understood by you.

I always wake up with swollen oily hard nose, and I've had this problem since I was 18 or maybe 17.
when this started, it was easy to decrease the swelling by washing my face couple of times
and then with towel i was pressing on my nose till this swelling almost disappear.
so, the whole process were taking 15 minutes to have my nose back to its real size.

year after year the swelling becomes bigger.. and takes more time to go back to it's size.

NOW.. i still have this morning swelling, but NOW the swell is much much bigger and very
noticeable and the ugly thing is .. it sometimes takes me more than 3 hours to make it
back to its size.. which is not it's normal size! .. I mean my nose is got -really- bigger,
the texture of my nose has changed also ( wrinkled with large pores ), although when i wake up it doesn't look that way .. it looks tight and a little bit yellow ( and very oily )
( as if I had a collagen junction on my nose ).

I've been diagnosed with seb derm, and that was in 2004, my symptoms are: red itchy flaky
areas on my face ( knowing that i had this symptoms few years before diagnosing ).

I saw 4 dermatologists for my nose swelling .. one of them said that I have rhinophyma,
, two said that i don't have it and it's just allergy, so I went to see an ENT doctor
and after looking inside my nose he said: YES .. you have a nose allergy .. he put me on antihistamines ( claritin and fexofenadine-d) and a nasal spray called Fluzone.
I took these medications for a month .. and i felt a little good change on my morning swelling,
but in the other hand my nose became harder with mild swelling all the day :) ..
How lucky I am!
anyway .. the doctor put me on another month of these medications .. with no positive changes tell now ( I'm now in my 3rd week ) ..

5 days ago I saw another dermatologist .. and he said that i have them both,
Rhinophyma and allergy :)

I don't know who to believe !

OK.. I have Seb derm for sure.. but i don't have rosacea .. JUST RHINOPHYMA!!!
IS THAT POSSIBLE??

I've read about another cases very similar to my case ( seb derm and swollen nose ) ..
if there is anyone here has these symptoms, please let me know !

Thank you in advance

Sami
sami
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Seb Derm and Swollen nose!

Postby sami » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:42 am

P.S:
I don't have papules or pustules on my nose, and never had.

THANK YOU.
sami
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi Sami and welcome to our group! (wave)

I don't think we've heard from anyone in Syria before. When I tell you that I love history, ancient monuments, etc., you will understand how my eyes lit up on seeing that you are in Damascus. Wonderful to see photos of it!

No need to apologise for your English. It is excellent, and very easy to understand.

Unfortunately, it is possible to have several nasty skin disorders at the same time so yes, a person could have seb derm + rosacea, or rosacea + rhinophyma, or all of them + an allergy. Definitely not fair!

Yes, it is possible to have rhinophyma without rosacea. Although many descriptions of rhinophyma still classify it as one possible (but unlikely) end-stage of severe rosacea left uncontrolled, some doctors now consider them to be unrelated disorders that a person might happen to have at the same time, or sequentially, or only ever one.

From what I've read, the phymatous form of rosacea is mainly characterized by overgrown sebaceous glands, so one of the most important things is keeping the sebaceous glands clean. That means washing carefully, avoiding oily topical treatments, and using low-dose antibiotics if necessary to stop secondary infections. Also, a lot of people find retinoids helpful, whether applied topically or more often by taking low-dose isotretinoin (best known form is Accutane). If it gets really bad, treatments include dermaplaning (stronger than dermabrasion), lasers (carbon dioxide or Yag) and surgery.

Here are some links you might find helpful:

http://www.cosmeticprocedureguide.ca/rhinophyma.html
http://rosacea-support.org/treating-rhi ... utane.html

That you have never had any papules or pustules on your nose seems a good sign. When several of the dermatologists you have consulted don't think you have rhinophyma, it seems well worth treating for suspected allergies, in case that is the real problem.

I'm not a doctor and can only offer general advice based on what we've seen and heard over the years, but since the swelling starts overnight, have you considered whether you might be allergic to something in your bedroom? Sometimes people who develop any kind of facial swelling overnight improve if they sleep with their head a little higher, even just adding an extra pillow, and take care always to sleep on their back rather than on one side.

When you say "it sometimes takes me more than 3 hours to make it back to its size.. which is not it's normal size! .. I mean my nose is got -really- bigger, the texture of my nose has changed also ( wrinkled with large pores ), although when i wake up it doesn't look that way .. it looks tight and a little bit yellow ( and very oily )" I hope you don't mean you keep pressing on your nose for all or even much of that time. Subjecting the skin to rough treatment can set up all sorts of other problems.

Did the derms you consulted make any comment on this business of pressing your nose? Since it has been dispersing the swelling, I wonder if you might have some problem with drainage from your lymphatic system? Might the following be of any use to you?
http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... c_Drainage

Well, those are just a few ideas, in case they might help you with this awfully difficult problem. Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards, and best of luck,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Aurelia » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi Sami,

Have just looked at your later post in another thread and see that you have already tried low-dose Accutane. Yes, some people do find that they need to take it for quite a bit longer to reverse such a condition.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2468&p=18339#p18339

How wonderful that the Accutane cleared your seb derm for nearly a year. As you say, "one year of ( NO SEB DERM ) is really big thing!!" (yahoo) Congratulations!

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby sami » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Aurelia wrote:Hi Sami and welcome to our group! (wave)

I don't think we've heard from anyone in Syria before. When I tell you that I love history, ancient monuments, etc., you will understand how my eyes lit up on seeing that you are in Damascus. Wonderful to see photos of it!

No need to apologise for your English. It is excellent, and very easy to understand.

Unfortunately, it is possible to have several nasty skin disorders at the same time so yes, a person could have seb derm + rosacea, or rosacea + rhinophyma, or all of them + an allergy. Definitely not fair!

Yes, it is possible to have rhinophyma without rosacea. Although many descriptions of rhinophyma still classify it as one possible (but unlikely) end-stage of severe rosacea left uncontrolled, some doctors now consider them to be unrelated disorders that a person might happen to have at the same time, or sequentially, or only ever one.

From what I've read, the phymatous form of rosacea is mainly characterized by overgrown sebaceous glands, so one of the most important things is keeping the sebaceous glands clean. That means washing carefully, avoiding oily topical treatments, and using low-dose antibiotics if necessary to stop secondary infections. Also, a lot of people find retinoids helpful, whether applied topically or more often by taking low-dose isotretinoin (best known form is Accutane). If it gets really bad, treatments include dermaplaning (stronger than dermabrasion), lasers (carbon dioxide or Yag) and surgery.

Here are some links you might find helpful:

http://www.cosmeticprocedureguide.ca/rhinophyma.html
http://rosacea-support.org/treating-rhi ... utane.html

That you have never had any papules or pustules on your nose seems a good sign. When several of the dermatologists you have consulted don't think you have rhinophyma, it seems well worth treating for suspected allergies, in case that is the real problem.

I'm not a doctor and can only offer general advice based on what we've seen and heard over the years, but since the swelling starts overnight, have you considered whether you might be allergic to something in your bedroom? Sometimes people who develop any kind of facial swelling overnight improve if they sleep with their head a little higher, even just adding an extra pillow, and take care always to sleep on their back rather than on one side.

When you say "it sometimes takes me more than 3 hours to make it back to its size.. which is not it's normal size! .. I mean my nose is got -really- bigger, the texture of my nose has changed also ( wrinkled with large pores ), although when i wake up it doesn't look that way .. it looks tight and a little bit yellow ( and very oily )" I hope you don't mean you keep pressing on your nose for all or even much of that time. Subjecting the skin to rough treatment can set up all sorts of other problems.

Did the derms you consulted make any comment on this business of pressing your nose? Since it has been dispersing the swelling, I wonder if you might have some problem with drainage from your lymphatic system? Might the following be of any use to you?
http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... c_Drainage

Well, those are just a few ideas, in case they might help you with this awfully difficult problem. Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards, and best of luck,

Aurelia

Hi Aurelia, and thank you SO much for this lovely lovely welcom, and big THANK YOU for the information and advices that
I really find them helpful. and I feel lucky of being the first Syrian (yahoo) or the first Arab who wrote in this forum, and I'm sure I wont be the last, because Rosacea is global problem, and I've read many notes on the net from Arab people
suffering from Rosacea. Unfortunately we don't have Arabic rosacea forums, and the information about Rosacea and its
complications are VERY poor and general.... and the net doctors are .. ugh! (doh)

Anyway
I'll go with my latest dermatologist, and say I have Rhinophyma and allergy, because I don't think allergy ( alone ) is
capable to change the size, shape, color and the texture of the nose. i don't believe allergy alone is capable to make your skin thicker! So I would say I have a mild Rhinophyma combined with allergy which is the main responsible of the morning
swelling.

I'll try to sleep with my face more higher.. and see if this works. I did changed my room many times ( 4 times during the last 12 years ) with no noticeable improvements.

I don't press on my nose for all of the 3 hours of swelling.. and when I do that I do it very gently and always with a towel
or a handkerchiefs. I told my doctors about this procedure and none of them comment on it!
but i'm now really concerned about what you saied: " I wonder if you might have some problem with drainage from your lymphatic system " . this is new! and i will ask my doctor about that.

thank you again Aurelia.
Although I'm new here, but I've read many many of your threads, articles, comments and discussions, and I already know
how nice and helpful you are. I have a big respect for you guys for all the effort you make, I respect your sense of responsibility and your moral commitment to all of these who suffer from Rosacea or similar and related conditions.

what can I say! I'm a big fan.

Sami.
sami
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sami » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Aurelia wrote:Hi Sami,

Have just looked at your later post in another thread and see that you have already tried low-dose Accutane. Yes, some people do find that they need to take it for quite a bit longer to reverse such a condition.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2468&p=18339#p18339

How wonderful that the Accutane cleared your seb derm for nearly a year. As you say, "one year of ( NO SEB DERM ) is really big thing!!" (yahoo) Congratulations!

Kind regards,

Aurelia

Thank you Aurelia

YES .. that was my best year (music) ... Accutane did an amazing job with Seb derm,
and now I think I should give it another try for Rhinophyma ... I'll try the very low dose ( 10mg every other day )
because my lips were looking scary (shocked) when I was on the ( 10mg/day ).
sami
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Sami,

As you say, rosacea is a global problem, but I was still surprised to learn that many Arabs suffer from it. You are the first I can remember encountering on the net, so I am doubly pleased to make your acquaintance! :)

Because the most obvious symptoms of rosacea are more easily seen amongst people who have very light-coloured skin, it is considered to be most common amongst people of Northern European ancestry, such as Scandinavians or Celts, so there is a tendency to think “blondes and redheads”. Yet there are others with different colourings, including many with what is considered Mediterranean colouring (olive-toned complexions and dark hair and eyes) and Asians (for example, Chinese and Indians). I think we were all surprised to learn that even people of African heritage can develop rosacea.

My understanding is that because the darker the skin, the harder it is to see redness and flushing, rosacea is more often diagnosed at a later stage, and then more from papules, prominent veins, and pain. That’s awfully sad, because the earlier treatment is started, the easier it is to prevent any lasting damage.

As a general rule, any diagnosis made by a registered physician who has physically examined you will be worth vastly more than any comments made by someone who is just writing to you via the internet, so it is possible that you don’t have any lymphatic problems. I just offered that as something you might want to consider, since I have read of several rosaceans who found facial swelling lessened greatly when they used manual lymphatic drainage, which means very gently (with a feather-light touch) stroking the skin in a direction away from the centre of the area swollen.
It is quite possible that your doctor will say otherwise!

Thanks for your very kind comments. We’re so pleased that you like our group, and that you get why we do our best to help others suffering from rosacea or related conditions.

I don’t know if it is available in your area, but Elizabeth Arden’s Eight Hour Cream is very good at protecting the skin and lips from the kind of damage Accutane can cause. It is also quite cheap. Here is a link to the cream:
http://shop.elizabetharden.com/product/ ... age=family

Also a link to a colourless lip protector that I’ve not tried:
http://shop.elizabetharden.com/product/ ... age=family

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby sami » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Aurelia,

I know, it's not a common condition at the Arab countries because we have darker skin.
This is why I'm ... unique :)

and I rarely meet or see people with obvious rosacea. BUT, Arab forums "medical ones in specific" full of consultations from
people having this condition.

however, I've noticed that the information about Rosacea are so flexible.. and it's always changeable!
I mean.. many theories about causes ...many treatments, and patients don't react the same ... many theories about Rhinophyma... many possibilities about everything!

THERE IS NOTHING CERTAIN IN ROSACEA!
and this makes me angry... because they spend billions and billions of dollars on really silly things "under the name of
science"!! How about spending some on something serious like Rosacea!

anyway, I called my ENT doctor and asked hem about the possibility of having problems with my lymphatic draining.
he exclude that.. but i think your notice was very substantial, because it led me to find an interesting article
about the relation between heavy glasses and early Rhinophyma ... I stopped wearing my glasses in 2005 because I was
feeling pressure on my nose because of them.

I don't know! I think i should see another doctor with another specialty.. blood doctor maybe.

Thank you so much for the link.. hope i can find the cream here in Syria.

Thank you Aurelia
I'm grateful.

Sami
sami
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Just Diagnosed with Rosacea