Anyone ever have any luck halting rhinophyma or reversing it

For some rosacea sufferers an enlarged nose is one of their symptoms. The skin on the nose is thick and especially for males it can be quite problematic to treat. The bulbous nose, or rhinophyma, is rare and is normally only seen after years of symptoms. This is your forum if you want answers.
ipfreely
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Anyone ever have any luck halting rhinophyma or reversing it

Post by ipfreely »

Hi,

I would like to keep an open topic regarding rhinophyma growth. It would be nice to hear from people who pass through here who may have had some success in either stopping more growth from occurring or better yet, reversing growth without surgery. Is it something that can be stopped?

Mine is spreading again. When it first appeared it was just a couple of small lumps on the tip of the nose which of course the dermatologist said was nothing to worry about. They have grown and spread to where they have connected up and are starting to take over most of the bulb. I'm 43 so I'm in the early stages of it. I can only imagine how insane my nose will be in 10 years or more. I've been dealing with rosacea since I was 19. One of the best things that has worked for me to control it is mustard powder with water to kill the mites. I've had it mostly under control for a while now but something internally is going on causing the nose to grow now. I've been using an acid peel on it for 4 months and that takes layers off but it seems to keep adding more so I'm not even sure if I'm making any headway.

Anyway, those with rhinophyma have the most serious stage of it and I'm wondering if anyone has ever reversed it without surgery. Thanks.
Shadow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Anyone ever have any luck halting rhinophyma or reversin

Post by Shadow »

I, too, have rhinophyma.

Mine started after I got a Vitalize chemical peel.

Low dose accutane works somewhat. My dermatologist told me I have to take it for life....

I have noticed that when I clean up my diet, it seems to deflate a bit.

Peacock posts quite a bit about it. There's some info in this link:

http://rosacea-support.org/community/vi ... php?t=2741

Just curious...do you drink coffee?
ipfreely
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by ipfreely »

As most of you know this disorder can be very confusing and it is very hard to get good information on it. I'm making this post for information purposes and discussion; I'm not ready to claim that it definitely clears it but I feel it is making progress and might be helpful to others. First off the trigger set. To Shadow above, yes I do drink coffee. My body hates it and if I have it every day for a long stretch I will even get some pain from it but I have yet to find anything that gets me going like coffee does so I'm hopelessly always going back to it. I try to limit to 1 cup and go every other day on it but I need to be productive lol.

As I mentioned in another thread I had a very visible large area of growth occur after a night of pizza and IPA beer. There may have been some triple chocolate brownies earlier that day too. Shorty after that I started taking a liking to chocolate beer as well. There are some stouts with 'hints of chocolate' but there are also some beers that actually have chocolate put into them. Oddly these caused my neck and face to swell up really badly. Like kind of scary bad. I specifically tested it again to confirm. This is when I started learning more about food triggers and combinations. This is also when I realized that I probably wasn't imagining the pizza and beer connection. First, I cut all chocolate out to see but the nose kept adding. Then I started to cut out cheese which seemed to slow the growth down but not stop it completely. So the beer seems to push it slightly as well.

I've been making trips through the forums for many years now. During my last trip someone was talking about how bad cheese and milk products are as triggers and someone else said that its all bad except the Budwig cheese. That sent me off down a rabbit hole and became a research project. Firstly, because my rhinophyma seemed to be specifically triggered by cheese and it was pizza and beer that caused a massive unmistakable overnight growth at one point so I've been curious about that angle. Secondly, I was curious how one type of cheese could be ok but not others. The Budwig cheese is basically a cottage cheese mixed with flaxseed oil and she developed it to treat cancer patients. However, it does many more things. I read up on it and decided to cautiously give it a try. I developed my own mix for it so as to not overdo the cheese intake. I'm now just about done week five of it and it has made some very significant changes.

I've been using a 4%fat, cultured (not homogenized) cottage cheese. I mix approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup with about 4800mg of flaxseed oil from gel caps. Ms. Budwig has specific rules and one is making sure that the oil is protected if its not fresh and that you have to use a high powered hand mixer so that it mixes completely. I let it sit for a minute or two after mixing because there is some sort of chemical reaction that is occurring between the oil and the cheese from what I understand. I wanted to try it in a low quantity of cheese because of my concern for cheese, too much fat, and also too much salt. (You will see much higher amounts being used for cancers.)

It makes the body very alkaline quickly and then delivers high powered protein and omegas. She says 30 days see noticeable change which I can attest to and that 90 days sees big change. (she lived to 95) By day 3, surprisingly all of my scalp flaking was completely gone. It was to the point where the pharmacy stuff wasn't even controlling it anymore. It has stayed cleared. Some of the gray went away too. Then I noticed that a dead spot that I have on my finger was regenerating. That is from 20 years ago. I also have a lump on a shoulder blade that is 20 years old that was around quarter sized and its now half that size. Also there is a scar from a broken thumb surgery that is turning white with new flesh replacing the purple scar. It's very hard to see the scar now. I also see an overall better complexion and my heart seems to be strengthening too. However, the main reason I tried it is for the rhinophyma and that seems to be reversed significantly now. I have the worst kind that makes random growths all over the nose instead of an even thickening. I have one spot that is dime sized and was really starting to grow to the point where it was starting to make me avoid social situations. It was around 3/16" thick. There are some others to go with it but they were around 1/8" thick. These grew over the course of 2-3 years and were clearly going to continue to expand. That is why I tried the cancer cheese. She said it was good for tumors and 'other degenerative disorders'.

I'm going to stop here for now until I have more weeks on it and more data but I wanted to put this here in case anyone else might find it helpful in some way. My rosacea has been under control for a while so I can't speak to it working for that, this is specifically about rhinophyma. One thing it HAS NOT fixed is the spider veins and doesn't appear like it will make any progress on those. I don't completely understand the process but I can report that I'm still enjoying beer here and there but no other cheese and no chocolate right now. My main hope was that I could stop it from getting any worse. All the reading I've done says there is no cure. I believe it is reversing it. I will report back when I have more time in and can see if more progress is being made. One thing I can say for sure is that it is some kind of super food and not just b.s.
ipfreely
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by ipfreely »

Update -

1) Lactose seems to be the root of most of the problem.
2) However, the Budwig protocol has proven healing qualities even though it is made with a milk based product.

I thought I might be able to outsmart it by using Lactaid which is essentially the missing enzyme we need but it made things worse. Currently I have settled on a 2:1 formula of 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil mixed with 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese. It comes out to around an 1/8 of a cup when whipped up. I have reduced it to every other day so that I get one day off from all lactose. I am seeing pores begin to open up and the condition appears to be receding. I am also still doing acid peels.

At this point I feel fairly confident that I have stopped it from spreading any further and have finally begun turning it back.

I will update again in a month or so.

This link is worth reading if you have not seen it yet:

https://nebula.wsimg.com/950eaaa9888785 ... oworigin=1

(Here's the link to Dr. Madalene Heng's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/madalenehengmd )
ipfreely
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by ipfreely »

Quick update. Still slowly reversing it. I've found that even less cottage cheese seems better. So now I'm using 1/16 of a cup every other day. The pores have become much clearer and the main growth has gone down quite a bit. I can see it's going to take many months to fix though.

I did an email consult with Dr. Heng using pictures of it and she confirmed that she thinks it's lactose related. She said the best thing I can do is a strict no lactose diet. I'm going to try some of her gel and see if that helps. Burn victims rave about it so there is potential for it to help. I'm still going to keep doing the budwig that I'm testing though because the omegas are having some fairly profound affects for me.

More in a month or so.
ipfreely
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by ipfreely »

Time for an update. I am still reversing it!

I wound up buying some of Dr. Hengs potion to help support what she does and it seems to help. Where it really shines supposedly is with burns, so now I'm trying to see if it will pair well with the acid I use. My theory is I should be able to burn it off faster while using her product. Usually if I go too fast on the acid I will get scabbing. Seems to be less if I use the psoriagold with it. So far I'm at around 50% reversal, it's taking a lot longer than I would like BUT all of the main sites say this isn't possible so I guess I can't complain. <shrug>

Best part is it definitely hasn't gotten worse so I think I'm now safe from some of the horrifying pictures I've seen of late stage action. Small children haven't laughed at me in public for a while either so I'm pretty sure the progress isn't just in my head. :)
Shadow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Post by Shadow »

Ipfreely,

This is excellent! Just curious about your progress....Are you doing the strict lactose free diet? Is it working? Is Dr. Heng's potion still working?

Shadow