Facial redness and dont know what to do

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Facial redness and dont know what to do

Postby ronhoon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi everyone I have from what my Dr says is stage one Rosacea. My symptoms are flush red face, with very mild itch and sting. The main thing with my case is the flush face. Like most that I have read on this site it starts out some what good in the morning and gets alot worse when i get home around 5 in that evening. My skin is also moderatly dry as well. I went to the Dr. about 2 months ago and he gave me some Metro creame and at first i thought it was working but really have shown no signs oh improvement. If anything it is getting worse. I have an appointment with a dermo in a week. I hope to get some better help. Any suggestions would be great, I dont know what else I could do as far as over the counter type things to help my cause. Thanks for listening to my problem. It is good to hear from people that have the same problems as my self. I am still trying to come to terms with this on a mental level it is really effecting my day to day life.
ronhoon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Facial redness and dont know what to do

Postby ceecee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi there,
One thing that can help with redness/flushing is doing a cold compress or splashing with cold water a few times throughout the day. I've been doing it a lot lately, as I've been having a real flair-up of the redness, and I've found it is quite helpful. Make sure you aren't too warm, either, as your core body temperature has a lot to do with how red your face can be. Also, my dermo told me to make sure I'm drinking lots of COLD (ice) water throughout the day, because it too helps with the core body temperature. Just a few things you may want to try...unfortunately there are no guarantees, but there are always lots of ideas :)
ceecee
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi Ronhoon.
Redness and burning are my main symptoms. I really didn't like metrocream and prefer metrogel, although this is by no means ideal either. One thing I do notice is that the metrogel dries my skin out and I wonder if this isn't a reason for increased redness. I tend to apply only once a day in the evening (although it is only the 0.75% concentration and it should be applied twice a day). Once it's dry, I then apply some moisturising cream, either Rosa relief or Oil of Olay night time sensitive cream, just to add some hydration.

I also take a small dosage of Clonidine twice a day (Atenolol is also good), Saw Palmetto once a day and the Red Light Therapy every day for 10–15mn.

It still isn't perfect but I'm working on it (as everybody else on this board...).

Please make sure you discuss these options with your doctor as everyone reacts differently.

Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby elizabeth22 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:59 pm

what is this red light therapy i have noticed a few people talking about this on here?
elizabeth22
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:51 pm

It's the same as the "acnelamp" you may have heard of, but the red color lights are best for rosacea. You may want to check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=699

I use the red-near infrared combo lamp from http://www.acnelamp.com 15 minutes per night. After one to two months, my rosacea redness was toned down by it significantly enough that I'm still using it a few years later :)

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Kylron » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 am

Kylron
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 am

Hi Kylron.
It would be helpful to have a little explanation regarding your link. It looks like spam when it shows up without any message.
Thank you.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby EMPRESS LAINIE » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:56 am

I have been afflicted with the redness no itching for 3 months. 7 days ago I found that L-Lysine was supposed to be effective. It definitely is. My forehead which was angry red is now normal, and my cheeks are nearly normal.
3000mg of L-Lysine daily made all the difference. I was also using topical 1% hydrocortosone 2 or 3 times daily but it didn't seem to help much if at all.

Just to share my experience. I am looking forward to NO rosacea within a week now.
EMPRESS LAINIE
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:23 am

Welcome to the group, :queen: Lainie (wave)

Good to hear you're doing so well with the L-Lysine. We love to hear of people being helped by the simplest methods. It makes sense to start with the least invasive and least expensive remedies and treatments and work your way up only if need be ... unless your doctor advises otherwise, based on a medical examination.

We hope you will be completely free of rosacea very soon. However, please remember that rosacea is a cyclical condition that waxes and wanes, often for no apparent reason. I hope that won't be your experience, but it is the norm.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby louie147 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 am

3000 a day oh my god thats alot ! (shocked)
i was feeling guilty for taking 500 a day !
I might now try increase for a while see if theres any change !
louie147
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Next

Return to Red Face