Switch to full style
As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.
Post a reply

Persistent Redness

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:32 am

A little background: It first started to hit me around March this year when my friends and family asked if I was sunburnt or had a rash. I live in upstate New York so the winters are frigid and there's no way it could have been the sun, so I started to get a lot of attention. I noticed it was especially bad after hot showers, so I cut those out but the redness still persisted. I visited my school doctor and he prescribed me MetroGel. This is also where he told me I had a lifelong condition that would never go away. I tried MetroGel for a few weeks and eventually gave up on it because it dried out my face even more and made it more red.

I didn't know what else to do so I visited an actual dermatologist and she diagnosed me with Rosacea again. She prescribed me Mirvaso, but I refused to take it after hearing horror stories about the rebounding effect.

Now the summer finally hits and I start waking up with flakiness on my face that looks like red, dry skin. It is especially apparent on the sides of my nose, eyebrows, and glabella. I looked up these symptoms and they appear to be seborrheic dermatitis. Great - now I have two incurable diseases.

I don't know where else to turn. There are days when it looks okay, but then days where it looks like a nightmare. It has always bothered me but recently it has started to affect me emotionally. I'm a pretty social person and love being out. This weekend I had friends visiting my town and I couldn't even work up the courage to see them because of my face. Instead I sat in my room in the dark to avoid seeing anyone. I even had a beautiful date that I had to cancel on because of how my face looked. I am seriously starting to think I'm becoming depressed. I literally don't want to do anything besides stay in my room and avoid everyone. I was even tearing up writing this post out.

Now pictures:

IMG_0715.JPG
(299.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_0974.JPG
(197.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_1389.JPG
(337.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The first one is one of the earliest pictures I have on my phone from about early April.
The second one is especially bad because I tried some anti-redness makeup that seriously irritated my face and made it burn
The third one was taken a few days ago. The lighting makes it look not as bad but it was still pretty red in person

Does anyone have any tips to reduce or get rid of the redness? I don't even seem to have any common rosacea flare ups (drinking alcohol, exercising, eating chocolate, etc.). It's just red all the time and doesn't get better or worse throughout the day. I've heard of using tinted sunscreen to cover it up but my skin is very sensitive so I'm worried it'll irritate it or not blend in well with my actual skin tone. It really hurts having friends and loved ones always commenting on my face. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Persistent Redness

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi, see my entry under MSM topical use, general success stories. The MSM crystals has greatly reduced my severe facial redness and I even successfully use it in my eyes to control ocular rosacea and very sore, red eyes. Use pure msm crystals and make a paste. Simply plaster it on your face after cleansing and moisturising at night. Wipe off excess after it had dried (about 15 mins) and keep on overnight. You can use the paste any time, even during the day over sunscreen. It has worked for me, in fact my face is clear of Rosacea and redness for the first time in 40 years. I am 52 and had flushing, redness and Rosacea since the age of about 12!!!! Nothing else has made any significant difference - I have tried prescription topical creams, other alternative, natural therapies, laser, red light and was on RoAccutane for two whole years without a break. The MSM homemade 'mask' which I use every night and whenever my skin feels stressed during the day has given me back my life. Good luck, I hope this helps

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Marlene wrote:Hi, see my entry under MSM topical use, general success stories. The MSM crystals has greatly reduced my severe facial redness and I even successfully use it in my eyes to control ocular rosacea and very sore, red eyes. Use pure msm crystals and make a paste. Simply plaster it on your face after cleansing and moisturising at night. Wipe off excess after it had dried (about 15 mins) and keep on overnight. You can use the paste any time, even during the day over sunscreen. It has worked for me, in fact my face is clear of Rosacea and redness for the first time in 40 years. I am 52 and had flushing, redness and Rosacea since the age of about 12!!!! Nothing else has made any significant difference - I have tried prescription topical creams, other alternative, natural therapies, laser, red light and was on RoAccutane for two whole years without a break. The MSM homemade 'mask' which I use every night and whenever my skin feels stressed during the day has given me back my life. Good luck, I hope this helps

That is great to hear! Is your rosacea similar to mine?

Also, what brand msm crystals did you purchase and what ratio did you use to make your paste?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi, my Rosacea is always present, but mostly level 4 pustules and redness not too bad. It gets a lot worse with heat, humidity, sun, exercise and emotional stress. When flushing the redness is so bad it's painful. Using the msm crystals has calmed it all down, so now, even when I do flush no new pustules occur and I have only one tiny sore, red spot that still persists on my face. I put some paste on my skin whenever I can and the condition is 99.9% under control. It's not a cure and can be bothersome to 'wear' the paste/ mask, but a small price to pay for clear skin! I live ia a small town in South Africa and can only get one brand of msm crystals: The Real Thing msm body powder. I just mix a teaspoon full in the palm of my hand with some water into a fairly runny paste. Not too runny but not too dry otherwise it won!t stick and then it's just a waste. It takes a bit of time getting used to the paste, but I saw a vast improvement within a couple of hours, and completely clear skin within three days. It's been months since I stared with the msm and the Rosacea is under control. Just remember to moisturise at night before using the msm because it can dry out your skin.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi Marlene,

How is your progress with redness and flushes with the MSM treatment?
Are you able to exercise, like cardio or vigorous walks without flushing?
Can you now tolerate temp extremes, either hot or cold without flushes?

Many thx,
Bluedog
Post a reply