Uncontrollable redness

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Re: Uncontrollable redness

Postby ZeroSunGame » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:34 pm

End of Week 3

1) Vanicream light lotion is stinging a little, saving it for hand lotion
2) Vanicream sunscreen SPF 60 is still good (but my sunglasses get smudged and I have to be careful how I hold the phone at work)
3) I've kept a food diary for 6 days but if it's going to do any good I should reduce the number of unusual things I eat to one per day. For example, I had a bad day after having cashews and broccoli soup (with onion, garlic, etc.) the night before, not sure which to blame, I should either have cashews or broccoli soup, not both
4) bumps have all smoothed down except 2-3 on the cheeks and a big red monster spot near my mouth which was a minor bump my dog scratched and it's infected
5) back to being pale the first 10 minutes of the morning, but I can see dark discoloration where the spots were even if they are no longer raised :-(
6) having a problem being overzealous washing my face at night to get the sunscreen off
ZeroSunGame
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peacock » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 am

ZeroSunGame,

Nice job thru 3 weeks.

*Take a deep breath and relax just a bit with the food journal. To do it right it took me 2-3 months. You wont be able
to figure it out in 3-4 weeks. Things like broccoli and cashews will sort themselves out over the long haul. Just make a
mental note and move on. Most likely you will end up with 6-10 specific foods to avoid and a few general food groups like
Sugar to avoid. We are not perfect, but over the course of 2-3 months we can put together a solid list.

*I have been noting of late that I believe over-consumption of caffeine provides an indirect boost to facial inflammation.
There is a level we all have (maybe its 2-3 cups a day) where we are fine, but if we don't go beyond it (to say 4-6 cups) inflammation starts.
Caffeine is caffeine so it doesn't matter whether its coffee, tea or a red bull. Unlike Sugar, which can have a delayed reaction, caffeine works
quickly (usually by the next morning I will have a breakout).

*If the Vanicream is uncomfortable there is no way you will continue with it long term --try to find 'sample' sizes of other products to try.
I highly recommend a Rosacea Care sunscreen called Zinclear--the zinc oxide level is 13.5% and should provide a quick drying/less smudgy
type product. They have sample sizes if you search around a bit. If interested in browsing go to rosaceacare.com

*Are you postive you are not allergic to your dog ? Do you sleep with the dog ? Does the dog come in contact with your bed ?
Is your bed pillow older than 2 years ? .....the first thing both my allergist and doctor asked me was "....do you have pets".
This is an enormous problem for many Rosaceans....and they have no idea exists.

*Does your multi vitamin have Niacin ? This is a common 'hidden' flushing agent. In addition, to do a trial and error with any
supplement(s) you might be using.Many times these supplements are causing inflammation.

Keep up the good work....keep dancin'.
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ZeroSunGame » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 am

Peacock wrote:ZeroSunGame,

Nice job thru 3 weeks.

*Take a deep breath and relax just a bit with the food journal. To do it right it took me 2-3 months. You wont be able
to figure it out in 3-4 weeks. Things like broccoli and cashews will sort themselves out over the long haul. Just make a
mental note and move on. Most likely you will end up with 6-10 specific foods to avoid and a few general food groups like
Sugar to avoid. We are not perfect, but over the course of 2-3 months we can put together a solid list.

Thanks. Seeing my actual diet on paper is almost embarrassing. :oops: I'm on an antibiotic for a sinus infection for 20 days right now so that's probably going to throw everything off, but I'm just recording the pills on the list with the foods. My skin is not staying smooth, the same spots get bumpy again, I think they are the same spots, they smooth out then come back, normally worse at the end of the day.

*I have been noting of late that I believe over-consumption of caffeine provides an indirect boost to facial inflammation.
There is a level we all have (maybe its 2-3 cups a day) where we are fine, but if we don't go beyond it (to say 4-6 cups) inflammation starts.
Caffeine is caffeine so it doesn't matter whether its coffee, tea or a red bull. Unlike Sugar, which can have a delayed reaction, caffeine works
quickly (usually by the next morning I will have a breakout).

That's good news. I was hoping I could just reduce caffeine and not have to eliminate it entirely, I guess time will tell. I am doing better about stopping the Diet Pepsi earlier in the day and switching to Sam's (super low caffeine) or iced tea. The nice thing about iced tea is, if you water it down you can't really tell that much difference.

*If the Vanicream is uncomfortable there is no way you will continue with it long term --try to find 'sample' sizes of other products to try.
I highly recommend a Rosacea Care sunscreen called Zinclear--the zinc oxide level is 13.5% and should provide a quick drying/less smudgy
type product. They have sample sizes if you search around a bit. If interested in browsing go to rosaceacare.com

Thanks for the link. I'm still trying to find a good way to get sunscreen off in the evening. I read something on the Internet about washing it with oil first to get it off, then washing again with cleanser to remove the oil. That might be better than what I'm doing, which is washing with cleanser like, 3 times?

*Are you postive you are not allergic to your dog ? Do you sleep with the dog ? Does the dog come in contact with your bed ?
Is your bed pillow older than 2 years ? .....the first thing both my allergist and doctor asked me was "....do you have pets".
This is an enormous problem for many Rosaceans....and they have no idea exists.

Well...since I already had this skin condition before I got my dog, I don't think that's the cause. I'm not allergic to my dog's coat but I am allergic to grass/weeds/pollen so if she rolls around in the grass I could react to that, so I agree, I love her but I do not want pets on my pillow. She is little and sleeps down by my waist. I've never been allergic to dogs, cats, or rabbits, but there was a pet chinchilla in my school and I was very allergic to it. (But I later learned chinchillas take special dust baths, so it may have been something on its fur rather than the fur itself.) I've had cats that I let sleep on the bed, and many of the common brands of cat litter are so perfumey that if the cat walks across the bed with fresh litter dust on his paws, I'll get allergies. Even with the "unscented" 99% dust free litter, you can still smell it and there is still dust. The best trick I've learned with buying cat litter is to stand in the store and run your fingers across the outside of the bag and then sniff. That way you can tell if there is some fragrance in it that is going to bother you.

My pillow is one of those 100% cotton ones inside and out. It is over 2 years old but it is washable, so I think it's OK. But it might be a good idea to wash it again.

*Does your multi vitamin have Niacin ? This is a common 'hidden' flushing agent. In addition, to do a trial and error with any
supplement(s) you might be using.Many times these supplements are causing inflammation.

Yes! I quit taking my multivitamin because it definitely was causing a problem, it's kind of a shame. I wasn't sure what the problem was, I just knew it was a problem. It was a vegan prenatal vitamin (I'm not pregnant, it's just hard to find vegan multivitamins), a hard green vitamin that was bitter if chewed. They make no flush niacin, don't they? Wonder if it works.

Keep up the good work....keep dancin'.

Thanks, you too! :)
ZeroSunGame
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby spencer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi ZSG, Both aspartame and caffeine can cause redness in rosacea sufferers. Just do a google search on rosacea and aspartame and a lot comes up. All artificial sweeteners should be avoided, if not for the rosacea, but also for overall health. Stevia and xylitol are healthier alternatives. Low(er) glycemic sweeteners include coconut sugar and some honey (raw, unpasteurized). Agave nectar has had mixed reviews as of late, but has previously been purported to be low glycemic. In the summer, I'll make an iced tea with the South African red tea called rooibos (pronounced Roy-bus). It has a lot of excellent anti-inflammatory properties, is rich in minerals (including iron), is caffeine-free and tastes great. You can often find it blended in with other flavors at your local tea shop. I find that it is wonderful all on its own with no sweetener.
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Peacock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:36 am

ZSG, if you continue to struggle with your complexion 'down the road', I highly suggest you get an outside opinion on your pets and the fact you sleep with them.I dont mean to alarm you, but your post threw up a huge red flag. Our pets are 'carriers and/or transporters' of not only bedbugs but also microscopic insects that feed off both human and animal skin. The bugs live primarily in our pillows (hot water wash does no good) and mattress. They attack and feed at night.

This is the single most devastating news to Rosaceans. They have denied it for years (despite an Allergist recommendation) . Instead of facing the potential problem head on they instead live in denial seeking cures thru other venues.

Animals can hit us in two ways. One is an allergic response to Dust&Dander, Fur and Various pollens. The second is the transportation of bugs, which has nothing to do with allergies. They feed on our skin. Keep in mind the bugs are microscopic.

My Doctor and Allergist suggested the following 16 months ago:
*Bedroom immediately becomes 'no pet' zone. Period, end of story.
*Throw out all pillows.
*Buy protective cover for mattress and new pillows.
*Give yourself 30 days to see improvement in hair scalp and face.

I saw an amazing transformation in my scalp and face in about 3 weeks (never knew I even had a scalp issue)

Maybe down the road it is something you look into.
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ZeroSunGame » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:38 pm

spencer wrote:Hi ZSG, Both aspartame and caffeine can cause redness in rosacea sufferers. Just do a google search on rosacea and aspartame and a lot comes up. All artificial sweeteners should be avoided, if not for the rosacea, but also for overall health. Stevia and xylitol are healthier alternatives. Low(er) glycemic sweeteners include coconut sugar and some honey (raw, unpasteurized). Agave nectar has had mixed reviews as of late, but has previously been purported to be low glycemic. In the summer, I'll make an iced tea with the South African red tea called rooibos (pronounced Roy-bus). It has a lot of excellent anti-inflammatory properties, is rich in minerals (including iron), is caffeine-free and tastes great. You can often find it blended in with other flavors at your local tea shop. I find that it is wonderful all on its own with no sweetener.

Thanks, yeah, I've read about aspartame and caffeine and they are on the radar. I am reducing both, working harder on the overall caffeine, but considering aspartame. What I read said aspartame affects about 30% of rosacea cases, so I hope I am in the other 70% it does not, but I am keeping an open mind. I think I've tried that tea because red bush tea was mentioned in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books and a member of our book club brought some the day we did that book. :)

Peacock wrote:ZSG, if you continue to struggle with your complexion 'down the road', I highly suggest you get an outside opinion on your pets and the fact you sleep with them.I dont mean to alarm you, but your post threw up a huge red flag. Our pets are 'carriers and/or transporters' of not only bedbugs but also microscopic insects that feed off both human and animal skin. The bugs live primarily in our pillows (hot water wash does no good) and mattress. They attack and feed at night.

This is the single most devastating news to Rosaceans. They have denied it for years (despite an Allergist recommendation) . Instead of facing the potential problem head on they instead live in denial seeking cures thru other venues.

Animals can hit us in two ways. One is an allergic response to Dust&Dander, Fur and Various pollens. The second is the transportation of bugs, which has nothing to do with allergies. They feed on our skin. Keep in mind the bugs are microscopic.

My Doctor and Allergist suggested the following 16 months ago:
*Bedroom immediately becomes 'no pet' zone. Period, end of story.
*Throw out all pillows.
*Buy protective cover for mattress and new pillows.
*Give yourself 30 days to see improvement in hair scalp and face.

Thanks, seriously. You probably thought in all likelihood I'd blow that off but I'm not. I have stripped the bed, vacuumed, wiped down the dresser, and have the first 2 loads in the laundry, which will take a while because nowadays everything's so bulky. For the pillow, I think I have a solution, because I have a little travel pillow that has barely been used and hasn't been used at all for 11 months. I put my regular one up in the top of the closet and will use the travel pillow for at least a month (unless I can find another thin one, you never see thin pillows anymore).

The reason I agree with you is, several years ago I heard a program on NPR about mites in your eyelashes and I read about it, so I'm already convinced. In the past I've actually felt the occasional little tiny feeling of something crawling on my face and I wondered if it could be attributed to something like that. After I started using my current cleanser, I was noticing those little sensations less frequently or not at all. I've felt them a few times this week even though I'm still using my cleanser, so...

In the back of mind I've been aware that when I turn down the bed my dog likes to lie on the turned down part, which goes right under my chin when I pull the covers up. I have smelled a little dust a couple of times. Completely aside from that, there are times when I end up in an uncomfortable position because of trying to "sleep around her" and with my back that's really not smart. So I'm going to try your idea for several good reasons. :)

Thanks! Now to wait and see.
ZeroSunGame
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mel63 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Peacock I agree 100%. I had a very bad break out last year, worst ever. My dog slept on our bed alot, but more so as he got older. Unfortunely he passed away last june. Every month since i got better and better. Today I still have redness but the papules are almost 100% gone. If i do get any they a very small and go away in few days.

I really believe it had alot to do with my dog and allergies.
mel63
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby ZeroSunGame » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm

End of week 4

1) have transitioned from waking up and going downstairs and making a 32 oz. diet Pepsi, to waking up and going downstairs and making a big iced tea with lots of ice. Decided I don't like Red Diamond tea. In the mid-afternoon I have one *small* diet Pepsi.

2) major major major achievement. After 3 years of wanting to do it, I finally got my car windows tinted. He said it would be $30 for the driver's side window, or $50 for both windows, so I got them both done. Took about 20 minutes. I did not ask the specs on the film but I think it generally blocks almost all the UV light and a lot of the heat. He put on the 35% film, which means it lets 35% of light through. The law here is that it has to let at least 25% of light through when you add up any tinting on the original window before film, plus the film. I think there was a slight tint to the window to begin with, which is why he used 35%. It looks pretty nice and is OK driving at night, only I can't operate the windows till Saturday so I stuffed kleenex in the buttons to remind myself. (blush) It takes 2 weeks to fully cure, and I'm supposed to park it in the sun. I was very surprised when I looked up window film laws. Texas allows dark tint (25%) but California requires that 70% of light can get through. My left side is a lot more flushy and raccoon-eyed than my right side, and I have age spots on my left hand but none on my right, all from driving. Maybe I won't have to keep flipping the visor back and forth as much.

3) it's going OK sleeping without pets. I got my dog a little bed just her size and put it outside the bedroom door. It has a puffy bottom and last night I hid a rawhide in her bed by tucking it down between the pillow and the side and she found it, I think I'll start hiding treats in her bed. :) I almost wimped out the first night because I felt bad about not sleeping with her, but I realized it is not good for her to be jumping up and down off that high bed, so this will be better for both of us (I tried bed steps but she wouldn't use them).

4) cleaned the bathroom this morning, Sno-Bowl did not bother me at all but I think Lysol wipes did. I'm going to quit buying them.

mel63 wrote:Today I still have redness but the papules are almost 100% gone.

Yep, ditto.
ZeroSunGame
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:49 pm

This is great news, congratulations!
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby ZeroSunGame » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:34 am

End of week 5

1) I bought jojoba oil and tried it and did not react to it like I did the shampoo. I'll probably never know what I reacted to in the jojoba shampoo years ago. I left the jojoba oil on for 2 hours in the evening and washed it off, but my skin looked slightly worse the next morning, I'm just better with nothing. But at least now I don't have to avoid everything containing jojoba

2) flushing foods identified: graham crackers (says they have sulfites?), jasmine tea (no clue)

3) rearranged the way I was doing my food diary to make it easier to read

4) tried Alavert, it tasted awful and made me really uptight, tried Children's Claritin and so far (only 2 days) it seems to be helping

5) got impatient with slow progress, went and had curry that was so hot it made my face perspire, made no visible difference the next day. There's no pattern. I'm not "allergic to citrus" but orange juice bothers me and lemon in tea doesn't, maybe it's the amount. Same with soy, not "allergic to soy", but soy sauce bothers me while soy milk or tofu does not.

6) leaving my cleanser on longer. I put it on in the morning, then go make the bed, then wash it off, or I put it on in the evening and go turn down the bed, then wash it off. Think this is helping

7) can't stand Sam's cola anymore, sticking with iced tea or a small diet Pepsi

8 ) bedroom remains a no pets zone

Overall better, just an awful lot of small scale blotchiness everywhere, which I think is more apparent because if you get to where you're slightly paler at times, then all the deep discolorations show more
ZeroSunGame
I'm new here
I'm new here

PreviousNext

Return to Red Face