Switch to full style
As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.
Post a reply

anyone else battling this in a very sunny dry climate?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm

As a kid I always blushed, and having spent many years living in cooler wetter climates I think I kept the progression at bay. In my early 30's I returned to Arizona and over the last few years my red face/cheeks has gotten so much worse. I'm in excellent health, I avoid the sun as much as I can and always have, I live a green organic lifestyle as much as possible, I exercise regularly, I've tried just about every remedy out there to reduce the redness on my face. It's not constant, certainly the heat, and activity are big triggers. Overcast or rainy days (a novelty here) and meditation are the only things that seem to offer relief, but it's only temporary. I've tried laser treatments, supplements, over the counter topicals, gel packs, eating 'cooling' foods (according to ayurvedic medicine), acupunture --- NOTHING works. Moving is not an option, though one day we'll have a second home in another climate. A naturopath once told me I may have a heat allergy so that will be another acupuncture option but I keep thinking there has got to be something else - a natural at home remedy that works. I will not take pharmaceuticals, with very small temporary exception, I don't believe in them. I've been reading over some of the blog entries --- and more curious about Lysine as that is one thing I have not tried in large quantity. Anyone know the logic behind it working? My only symptoms are the facial redness and some broken capillaries - I don't have bumps or even raised areas --- just redness and feel like I"m on fire sometimes --- which I should add is pretty common in the desert heat here. (redface)

Thanks in advance for any comments. I am a confident person but this makes me want to put a bag over my face sometimes. People mean well, but it gets tiring when they ask if I'm okay, if I need to sit down, do I need water, etc... really tired of this, don't want to go anywhere anymore. My look is one of being overheated (redface)

Re: anyone else battling this in a very sunny dry climate?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Yes I know what you mean.. and today is one of those days I don't want anyone to see me, I am having a horrible face day :( I also live in a very sunny dry climate. I live in northern nevada. wishing you well.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks Amethystice, I'm not sure why I didn't reach out to a group like this previously. Outside of one uncle, there is no one in my circle of family and friends, that understands quite the same. Most of them just dismiss it as no big deal. And taking pics is the worst, that's when I really would rather wear a bag over my head. I laugh about it, truly, but I am tired of it.

In Nevada, you really do understand the climate thing (blush) --- have you tried lysine?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 pm

I can totally relate to the picture thing, my sister just called the other day and said this summer she will be coming down and wants everyone to get together for pictures..., I don't know of anyone in my family that has ever had rosacea, my mom still takes antibiotics at age 60 for acne. She has suffered from acne all her life and I have had problems with acne as well since a teen. I have tried lysine for about a month but didn't notice any difference. I have a large bottle left so I might try it again once i get things settled down.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:06 am

Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Sorry to hear about your climate problems; here in NC it's hot and humid, a bad combination for me, as heat is a major trigger. Fortunately, I do most of my shopping/outdoor stuff in the evenings and I have good A/C, so that helps. Not sure what to suggest except maybe drinking cold drinks and trying to stay out of the heat as much as possible.

Best wishes,

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Thank you both for the additional replies --- family pics, any photos are tough --- when you look like you're sick, but you're not - just red all over the face. We like it out West but NC is one of the most beautiful states ever and has just about everything!

I do avoid the sun as much as possible (tough here but I do what I can) and always been a water hound - ice water - year round - drink it all day and don't ever leave home w/o it.

Sometimes I wonder if the reason some of these things just don't work are because it's not rosacea but another facial redness condition, as I was recently reading about. Even years ago a dermatologist told me my skin was very elastic and my vascular system is very close to the skin surface -- meaning any veins, bruising, etc... is more pronounced. Redness and broken capillaries are one of many R symptoms listed --- how does anyone really know?

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:08 pm

I feel exactly the same way, in face I posted about the fact that how can we even put a name to it because no one knows what rosacea is! And different people have different symptoms, it doesn't make sense to me. my veins are close to the skin as well, not just on my face but a lot of my body and I bruise very easily as well. It just amazes me how all of a sudden one day I break out in what i thought was a rash on my face from some dang make up and 2 weeks later I am diagnosed with rosacea, Now I have broken caps all over my face, Before this I had a few here and there, not noticible and didn't bother me, but now..omg, I can't believe how many their are and how fast the came about :(

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks, HotInArizona, I agree, NC is lovely; unfortunately, my skin doesn't think so. Having grown up in NY, (where I had few allergies and no rosacea), I'm seriously contemplating relocating, if I can find work in NY, as the climate is much more agreeable for me, as cold isn't a trigger/problem, only the heat. I do wonder if some of this isn't age/hormone related, (I just turned 43 a week or so ago), am going to ask my gyno. when I see him in the Fall.

I agree completely about rosacea being a confusing disorder with so many different manifestations, triggers, etc., etc.. Before developing full blown rosacea about 6 months ago, I never flushed/blushed or had any of the pre-cursor symptoms associated with rosacea, not even any facial redness, just some old acne scars and a few broken capillaries. Even now, I have mild base redness and more broken cap's, but no other symptoms, no food triggers, blushing, itching, burning, etc., which is confusing to say the least. I do wish some of the experts would get with the program and figure this thing out already.

Best to all,

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:21 am

Thanks for sharing all, it sure is interesting, I would love to hear about any success stories in treating it. A friend recently turned me on to Jan Marini products --- saying they were gold for rosacea -- well, it did nothing for me because I don't have bumps - like you guys say so many symptoms, how does anyone really know!?

The only source of relief I get is cool showers, cool wet weather, and meditation. Sucks not to enjoy my dirty martinis. (blush) Problem here, as soon as you open the front door this time of year, it's honestly like putting your oven on 425 bake for twenty minutes -- then opening the oven door - that waft of hot hot dry air -- that's what Phoenix feels like now.

Also in my early 40's so wonder if hormones does play a role --- seems like climate is the biggest factor though - sun and dryness - heat is much worse than the cold.

Thanks again for sharing, it's nice to connect with others who really understand.
Post a reply