Is this Rosacea???

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Is this Rosacea???

Postby egj1973 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:34 am

I was diagnosed with Rosacea years ago. Of course I was also told it could be Seb Derm. Been tested for Lupus, etc. Everything as far as prescription creams have always seemed to make it worse, steroids/metrogel etc. It isn't always bad but it comes and goes with no real rhyme or reason. Heat and cold are flare, stress seems to be also. It seems diet plays little to no role at all. Or at least I haven't been able to pinpoint. So I have to guess I it's Rosacea but I never seem to see anyone with the same type or same type of breakouts I have. I see people that look like the standard Rosacea pix you can find online. It would be helpful to me to have other people that may be more knowledgeable comment on this topic. Thinking of laser treatments any advice or concerns would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've attached a photo of a breakout. Hope it uploaded. I also forgot to mention that I suffer from Psoriasis as well. Does anyone else out there have this delightful combo? It sucks and you would think that having two humdingers like this that there would be some underlying connection of some sort!?!?!?!?
Face.jpg
Face.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 12535 times

EJ
egj1973
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Is this Rosacea???

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 am

Welcome!

I really would suggest you see a dermatologist. While we can give our opinions, we aren't really qualified to give medical opinions, and it might turn out to be something else.

Steroids are usually not a good thing to use, and metronidazole-containing products don't work for everyone, or the base-formulation of a particular brand can be problematic also.

As for laser treatments, again, seeing a derm to figure out what you have first would be best, before having expensive treatments done that may not be necessary.

re: pics online of "classic rosacea", I don't look like that either! :) Mine is very different, both in appearance and areas of the face where it appears. And my best friend has zero food triggers (quite annoying).
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:25 am

Okay, I have to add--but it's just my opinion--a family member has similar patches on his forehead, and they are psoriasis.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:31 am

Hi,

Cathy has provided some great advice.

Flaking usually accompanies Seb Derm. Most seb derm sufferers find that foods high in sugar and fat significantly worsen this condition and increase flaking alot.

I would definetley see another derm if you are not sure. You might see a few before one is able to look at you and give you a confident answer. Once you know what it is then you can treat it more effectively. Steroids should generally only be used for adverse reactions not ongoing conditions, however some dermatologists may be tempted to hand this treatment out when the skin condition can not be easily identified - this should not be accepted as an umbrella treatment.

Regards,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 am

Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Agree with Cathy and Mike, a dermatologist should make the final call on what your pictured condition is, though I'd have to agree with Cathy and vote for psoriasis, if this were a voting matter. I also agree that topical steroids aren't a good idea for those with sensitive skin, as I've heard they can precipitate rosacea in individuals prone to this condition.

It's interesting to me that you mention psoriasis, my Mom has psoriasis and so did her father and his mother (my great grandmother). I'm the first to get rosacea, though I don't have psoriasis and my siblings have neither condition, (lucky brats)! I do wonder if there's a genetic connection between the two disorders, IMHO it's too bad some research isn't done in this area. My Mom uses Enbrel for her psoriasis and went from over 80% coverage to just having scalp involvement, which is a huge improvement. I do wish they'd come up with a similar systemic treatment for rosacea, though hopefully not as pricey as Enbrel.

Do talk with a dermatologist about your conditions and let us know what he/she says.

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby egj1973 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Thanks to all for your replies!!!! The Psoriasis call for the face is a good call and I certainly have considered this. Only problem is the psoriasis if I eat a strict alkaline diet excluding the night shades the psoriasis retreats and the face continues to have freak outs. Actually went to the Doc yesteday and got prescribed the generic version of Oracea. Typically I avoid antibiotics like the plague. Supposedly its a low enough dose that it doesn't effect the GI tract. He wants me to do this for 30 days then come in and start a series of 5 IPL's as he is certain its Rosacea. He's done many hundreds of IPL's and feels I would benefit. Hard to tell when the medical community is out to help or just cash in. He seems to be a compassionate character so I'm signing on as I'm desperate for relief. Not only on the vanity side but also the hot itchy irritated side as well. If anyone else has any more opinions I'd love to hear them. Definitely interested in hearing from folks that have had laser treatments or people tsking antibiotics. Again thanks to all for your comments and opinions!

Regards,

EJ
egj1973
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby egj1973 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks again!
egj1973
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby LoisAnne » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:26 am

What is the generic version of Oracea? I did not know there was such a thing. I know that Oracea is really doxycycline in a low dose, time released version, but if there is now a generic of the time released Oracea I would love to know its name. I cannot afford Oracea but could probably get the generic.

I took minocycline and found it very helpful but I do wonder if a one month dose of an antibiotic would be long enough. I think I was on the minocycline about 3 months before I saw improvement. Your doctor will discuss this with you, I am sure.

Best wishes! :)
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby egj1973 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:01 am

It's name is Periostat. Check it out.
egj1973
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oldredlady » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi egj,

Good for you for getting a proper medical diagnosis and treatment. :) Oracea has helped a number of members with rosacea symptoms, especially p&ps, you can search Oracea to find posts about this.

Regarding lasering, I've had both IPL and V beam laser treatments in past years (for visible cheek capillaries) with moderate success initially, but the cap's always came back. Am hoping to quit smoking this summer (I'm a long time heavy smoker) and try IPL again in the Fall, in hopes the results will be longer lasting.

Good luck and best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Return to Red Face