help w/ reddness - do any of these prescrip. work??

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

help w/ reddness - do any of these prescrip. work??

Postby mogirl » Thu May 19, 2011 3:59 am

Hi -- i am brand new on this forum, it seems like a great place to get some info from people that have rosacea.. i have type 1 rosacea (the reddness of face kind w/ a couple broken caps on side of my nose). my reddness is worst on my chin, with some on my nose a well. i have been prescribed Finacea & Metrogel, but neither one worked, if anything it seemed to make my rosacea reddness worse! it also made my skin SO dry, i have had dry skin since a teenager so i really have to use lotion like crazy. Btw i am 32. My demotologist just prescribed me a oral antiboitic i think called Oracea. but in the insert it says its just proven to help postules & not reddness so i don't know if im going to take it, cause i just have reddness.. Does anyone know any prescriptions that helped them with reddness & doesn't dry out your skin?? also will my rosacea get worse if i skip out on any prescription treatment altogether since it seems like its making me worse? help -- i don't know what to do!

thx, mo
mogirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: help w/ reddness - do any of these prescrip. work??

Postby fanny » Thu May 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi
If you really think metrogel and finacea are making things worse than call your derm and say you are stopping and see if there are any other suggestions. As far as Oracea, I have not taken it but I seem to remember that it takes a while to see results, once again if you are unhappy go back to your derm or get a second opinion.
most of all do not worry
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri May 20, 2011 4:54 am

The Oracea is primarily prescribed for papules/pustules, but it works as an anti-inflammatory, and redness is a symptom of the inflammation in our skin.

How long did you give the Finacea and Metrogel a try? They can take weeks to show effect. I personally don't agree on Finacea for you, it's really for p&p's (and it can cause initial irritation) but some members with redness do quite well with Metrogel. However, perhaps your skin doesn't like the gel base, and you can try another brand (like Noritate).

I don't think your rosacea will get worse if you stop your medications temporarily, but as Fanny said, it's best to see your derm and get back on a good regimen as soon as possible, once you find the right prescription topicals and skincare that work for you.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby mogirl » Fri May 20, 2011 6:34 am

well, with the finacea it was like my skin was allergic to it -- after having it on i would get persistently flushed & very hot feeling all over my face & also my neck & chest got red..it was weird. it felt really awlful & i ended up stopping using it pretty quickly. with the metrogel, its definitely not as bad, but it still leaves my skin redder than w/out it on my chin & a little on my nose too. also its so drying.. i did everything from mixing it with lotion before i put it on to globbing morturizer on afterwards. also it doesn't work that well with makeup foundation -- it doesn't let my makeup go on smoothly like when i just have lotion on. i dunno -- i guess i will try it again for a longer time period. any suggestions on dryness & working makeup over that gel would be appreciated!!

thx, mo
mogirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sat May 21, 2011 7:33 am

Hmmm. If it's drying, I would ask for a cream version. There's Metrocream, but I personally like the texture of Noritate. And you can apply that one at night, once daily, since it's 1%. I remember trying to blend make-up over either the cream or the gel, and I hated it.

If you're still irritated after trying a cream version, then metronidazole might not be for you, but if it's tolerable, you should give it anywhere from 4-8 weeks to see effect.

Finacea is known to be very irritating, although users who have stuck it out says after it stops irritating the skin, it works wonders. I can't make myself stick to it though!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Mon May 30, 2011 11:54 am

Agree with Fanny and Cathy, this is definitely something to ask your derm. about. I had a bad reaction to Oracea, (rash), though I've also had reactions to antibiotics in the past, so likely it's just a personal issue, as many other members have reported good results with Oracea. I never tried Metrogel, though it was prescribed, as most topicals irritate my skin and p&ps aren't a huge issue these days, so I wasn't sure it was worth trying.

I don't currently take any prescription meds. for rosacea, but take multivitamins, Vit. C, lysine, zinc, fish oil (seems to help with dryness), turmeric and antihistamine tabs (for allergies) daily, along with doing red lamp 10 minutes per side (20 minutes total) daily. I'm not 100% positive, as I haven't been doing the red lamp that long, but I do seem to be slightly less red than I was, so maybe the combo of vitamins and lamp is starting to kick in a bit.

Not recommending all of the above, (unless you're into swallowing lots of pills), just mentioning my personal routine which seems to be keeping the redness stable and maybe reducing it a bit, too, without prescription meds.

Good luck and best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Return to Red Face