Switch to full style
As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.
Post a reply

Shaving and Rosacea

Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 am

I have found that both my Rosacea and Sebbhoreic Dermatitis conditions improve by maintaining facial hair to a minimum.

I've been meaning to share this one for a while but kept forgetting.

Mike

Re: Shaving and Rosacea

Fri May 06, 2011 8:06 am

Interesting topic Mike. Being primarily a P&P guy , my entire shaving area is a danger zone (except under jawbone). In addition, I traditionally
accrue a few ingrown whiskers per month (regardless of type of shaving cream or razor).There is definitely a correlation between ingrown hairs
and the development of new P&P'S. So I am learning to be very careful. The good news is that I have a relatively light beard (no Al Pacino here)
and can get away with shaving 4x per week. M,W,F,S/S

Here are some 'trial and error' thoughts :

*I get a rash from electric razor and it doesn't feel like 'close' shave to me --I have ruled this device out.
*My frequency seems best at 4x per week. Odds for ingrown increase with + 5x or under 3x per week.
*I allow shaving cream to work (30 seconds or so) before shaving --(Neutrogena Razor Defense gel)
*A sharp/new blade can get the job done on the first shave thru--(Gillette Sensor razor)
*Topical medications go one better when shave is 'tight'

Seems to be an important topic for the guys, It would be great to hear more 'trial and error' stories.

Fri May 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences with such detail Peacock,

I find that 2 to 3 shaves a week is enough for me. But I guess we all grow hair at a different density and rate. The main thing is to try and keep growth below a 5 or so mm, however frequent shaving this requires.

Like you I was told that electric shavers were great for sensitie skin. I found this to be untrue and a waste of a significant amount of money. That's not to say there isnt or won't be better devices out there.

Replacing the shaving head as soon as it starts catching I.e losing sharpness helps also.

Personally I don't need to watch what is in my shaving cream as the area applied doesn't overlap with my Rosacea affected skin... With the expeption of the moustache area (upper lip). At this area I just apply water.

All the best,

Mike

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 am

Hey Guys, I am also a dude and have to shave every other day. I recently started using a pre-shave oil and then putting on the shaving cream with a badger bristle brush. I let it soak in a bit and then hit it with a sharp razor. Prior to shaving I cleanse with Dermalogica ultracalming cleanser and use the ultracalming mist. Afterwards I apply Mirvaso, and the evenings after cleansing I use Metrogel 1%. This routine has been working really well for me. Good luck!
Post a reply