Switch to full style
As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.
Post a reply

Help with red, irritated skin...

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Last night I got unexpectedly caught outdoors for about 15 min and exposed to some really harsh, cold wind. Predictably my face has red, irritated blotches of skin all over today. I don't typically suffer from flushing or blushing, but tend to get patches of raw, irritated skin when encountering sun and wind. I'm still new to rosacea and finding out what works for a flare-upe. Typically it takes about 2-3 days for my skin to calm down after such incidents, and I apply Eucerin Redness Relief cream and Cerave moisturizer and metrogel (not sure if metrogel helps with redness at all). I also have very slightly lumpy or swelling on my inner cheeks. Does anyone have tips about soothing red, patchy skin more quickly? As always, thanks everyone for the incredibly helpful forum.

Re: Help with red, irritated skin...

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:20 pm

hi
I've posted this elsewhere but I have used oatmeal(soak oatmeal and use the "milk") to combat red itrritated skin with some success.
Best wishes
Fanny

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks, Fanny. I bought some Aveeno colloidal oatmeal, which I'll use later tonight. I think the main problem with my skin right now is that the moisture barrier is so compromised. I've been using Aczone and Metrogel for about 6 weeks now, and they've done a good job of combating the p & p's, but my skin is so dry and flaky now after cleansing that I have to really lay on the moisturizer. It's hard to find a good one that works, but doesn't leave a greasy feel. I suppose that's a common complaint among rosaceans...

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:48 am

seachange, I ran into the same problem with the dozen or so facial cleansers I tried and then one day I stopped using a cleanser ....just used running water and a gentle massage, followed by topicals. In my case, this was the solution. For me I used trial and error which included no cleanser at all, cleanser 1/2 the time, etc...

My doctor has also stressed the need for gentle application whether it be facial cleanser or topical medication.

Good luck.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi
I only use water on my face like Peacock, if I am wearing sunscreen or makeup I use jojoba oil to clean my skin.
All the best
Fanny

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi,

The metro line is known to increase skin dryness after application.

I guess finding a good moisturiser to combat this effect is your best bet. Cetaphil worked wll for me for a long time until I somehow started reacting to it.

After some time I decided to not use any products on my face but a gentle cleanser am/pm and some diluted antifungal wash for my sebbhoreic dermatitis. I found that if i avoided my triggers then my baseline Rosacea was not that bad and I could live with it.

I realise I was lucky in this regard, probably because I caught it early and have payed close attention to my triggers for a while now. Not everyone can just lay down all of their treatments but I do think that you should only use what is really required. This way the skin can have a better chance to heal itself.

I hate reccomending steroid creams but I also like everyone to make their own choices. These creams have relieved bad reactions of mine relatively quickly depending on the strengths. They can be classified into high medium and low strenghts.

If you are to try such a treatment I would reccomend the lowest grade which is available without prescription in Australia. I would store it at home and only use it to accelerate the reduction of inflamation during significant reactions spaced no less than months apart. It should not used for longer than 3 days in one go with 2 applications a day.

For a moderate reaction it generally takes me about 1 to 2 days with 2 applications a day to heal.

I like this analogy. Steroid creams are like radiation, in that you can only safely be exposed to to a certain amount per hear before serious side effects emerge.

I would never use these creams for basic inflamation caused by the Rosace itself, this requires other longer term, safer treatments issued by your dermatologist. What i would use them for is sporadic reactions to triggers which should be spread wide apart of you actively avoid your triggers.

All the best,

Mike

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 am

Fanny and Peacock,

I think the both of you must have psychically transmitted your advice to me, or it could just be that great minds think alike. ;-) So a couple of nights ago I began doing just what you advised in your postings--just washing with water (no cleanser), splashing on a bit of jojoba oil that I got at the GNC store, and then applying my topicals. What a difference! My skin began healing immediately and just loved the oil. Also, I discovered Vanicream moisturizer and cannot sing its praises enough! Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying this, but using the thick cream at night then the lite lotion during the day has transformed the red blotches to soft and rapidly clearing skin. I think I've found that elusive barrier that will provide my fragile some protection from the elements when I'm outside. (yahoo) Thanks for replying!

Mike T,

I actually do have a couple of steroid creams leftover from my horrible bout with swollen bug bites last year. My derm warned me very strongly about only using them very sparingly on the face (and not for more than 2-3 days). I hadn't thought about pulling them out for any flare-ups, but I think I might try the weaker one (Desonide) if I ever have a breakout that needs quick relief and other things aren't working. I think I might have read some bad things about Desonide here in the forums, but I'm guessing each person's skin reacts differently. I also have Clobetasol, which is super potent (I think the highest class of steroid), which I would be far too strong for the face. Thanks for such a detailed and thoughtful response.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Glad your new regime is helping!
All the best
Fanny
Post a reply