Is this rosacea (pictures)?

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Is this rosacea (pictures)?

Postby Sidney » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:03 am

Do you think this is rosacea?

The redness is permanent, only goes away at some very very rare instances. I think it is when I splash my face with water, but I'm not sure, I'll test it a few times then report back. I figure it might be when I splash cold water which would make blood vessels constrict.

The red zit like thing you see in one of the pictures was in fact a zit (maybe rosacea related, I don't know) and has now almost fully subsided. I almost never get zits.

The white lump-like thing you may notice in one of the pictures is a scar (not an acne scar).

Up around the area there is a dark pinkish tint, but that's because I have darkish circles under my eyes.

I blush very rarely (I can remember a few times in my life), and I've not been able to identify any triggers except (though I'm not sure 100% whether this is in fact a trigger or just a coincidence, I'll report back) warm water - I blush when I splash my face with warm water and it goes away very quickly.

Some time ago I had a period when I would blush seemingly at random quite frequently (I think it was daily or almost daily), and my face would get very warm. I think the reason for this may have been cold temperature. This period has since passed and I'm back to flushing very very rarely.

I also have one or two very short very barely visible tiny hairline blood vessels around the upper cheeks towards the eyes. It seems like there used to be a few more, but I can see only two now.

I have dry skin, but it's dry at the hands as well, and tends to dry all over after showers.

I have had dry eyes for over four years now. I've observed demodex on the lashes so I don't know whether the dry eyes are related to rosacea I might have or are caused by the demodex. Then again, I've read papers linking rosacea to demodex.

This is probably unrelated, but I have permanent redness on the back of my neck. It is up towards the head and concealed by hair, only visible when I cut my hair real short, like a military type cut.

I appreciate any help!
Sidney
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Is this rosacea (pictures)?

Postby Aurelia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi Sidney and welcome to our group! (wave)

None of us are doctors, so we can't offer medical advice, but I think you will find that no doctor worth his salt would diagnose on the basis of photos. Having said that, there are photos that 99% of rosaceans (and doctors :) ) would look at and say "yep, sure looks like rosacea!"

Your photos are quite different. To my uneducated eye, I'd say it doesn't look like rosacea, but I might well be wrong. I can see only the merest hint of redness. On my screen, it really is almost imperceptible. Perhaps there is something wrong with the colour setting on my monitor?

Have you been to a dermatologist? If so, what did he or she say?

If it helps, I will go through your post with comments about things I think you might perhaps like to consider.

"The redness is permanent, only goes away at some very very rare instances. I think it is when I splash my face with water, but I'm not sure, I'll test it a few times then report back. I figure it might be when I splash cold water which would make blood vessels constrict."
"I blush very rarely (I can remember a few times in my life), and I've not been able to identify any triggers except (though I'm not sure 100% whether this is in fact a trigger or just a coincidence, I'll report back) warm water - I blush when I splash my face with warm water and it goes away very quickly."

Even non-rosaceans frequently have their skin go redder or paler in response to temperature changes, especially when it's water splashing on the face. To avoid reactions to hot or cold water, it is generally thought best to wash the face only with tepid water, meaning skin temperature.

"I have darkish circles under my eyes."

There can be many causes for that, including lack of sleep, not drinking enough water, and histamine intolerance. Any of those might also affect the skin.

"Some time ago I had a period when I would blush seemingly at random quite frequently (I think it was daily or almost daily), and my face would get very warm. I think the reason for this may have been cold temperature. This period has since passed and I'm back to flushing very very rarely."

Sounds good that it now rarely happens. If it recurs, you might benefit from reading this free ebooklet on the effect of temperature on rosacea:
http://www.ausci.com/ROSACEA%20BOOKLET.pdf
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=431

"I also have one or two very short very barely visible tiny hairline blood vessels around the upper cheeks towards the eyes. It seems like there used to be a few more, but I can see only two now."

The fewer are visible the better, so that sounds like a very good sign! (yes)

"I have dry skin, but it's dry at the hands as well, and tends to dry all over after showers."

You might benefit from using a moisturising shower gel for your body, and a really good moisturiser for your face. I'm keen on Cetaphil moisturisers, but there are many other good ones.

"I have had dry eyes for over four years now. I've observed demodex on the lashes so I don't know whether the dry eyes are related to rosacea I might have or are caused by the demodex."

Demodex are invisible to the naked eye. Perhaps you have seen skin flakes or dried gunk? Drinking plenty of water is good for the eyes, as is taking an oil supplement such as flax seed oil or one of the berry oils marketed especially for ocular health. Have you checked any of the threads in our Ocular Rosacea section?
viewforum.php?f=20

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Return to Red Face