Overwhelmed- Please Help. Naturopathy?

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Overwhelmed- Please Help. Naturopathy?

Postby SFO » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:46 am

Hello,

I’ve lurked on this forum a long time and have read a lot of the posts which have been a great help to me- not only for treatment but for the realization that other people are going through what I am dealing with. I haven’t posted before because I believed my situation wasn’t unique and that any information I needed could be found in older posts. Well, now the time has come to ask for help and advice. Hopefully this is in the correct area of the forum.

I’ll try to be brief as I’m sure many of you have read hundreds (or thousands) of posts like this. I’m male, 33, and was diagnosed with Rosacea three years ago. As to when it started- I’m not sure. When I look at photographs of myself as a youngster of 4 or 5 I already had pretty red cheeks. Since they were always red I just figured that’s the way my face was. As I approached my late twenties it seemed to get worse. My main condition is a red face, specifically my cheeks. It is also always red down to where the neckline of my shirt is- it cuts off dramatically there and I go from red to very pale. No itching or burning. The skin on my cheeks just feels super sensitive- one light touch and it gets even redder. I also have Keratosis Pilaris on the back of my arms and thighs. I have German ancestry and grew up in the Midwest, though I’m the only one in my family that I’ve noticed that has Rosacea.

As for triggers- unfortunately I don’t know. I’m always red, but get super red when getting out of the shower, or after exercising, after drinking, stressful situations, after eating a very full meal, etc. Again, it’s hard to tell since I’ve always been this way to a certain degree. After reading the posts here and meeting with a dermatologist I’ve watched my diet closely, watched for triggers, and denied myself some of my favorite foods and have noticed no change at all.

I’ve tried over the counter topicals (did absolutely nothing), Finacea (did nothing, as acne isn’t a problem, not sure why my dermatologist even recommended it), Metrogel, herbs (uva ursi, siberian ginseng), all to no effect. Not the slightest change.

Basically I’m becoming extremely desperate. I hate how I look, feel terribly insecure, and no matter what I try it doesn’t help. I’m beginning to feel like I just have a red face and there’s nothing I can do about it, and I’m going to have to go through the rest of my life hearing things like “Are you hot? You look really red.” And “Do you feel ok, your face is bright red.”

Like the title says, I feel overwhelmed. I have a million things to be doing right now and it feels like treating my Rosacea is a full time job- and no matter how much time I spend, how much money I spend, and how much food I deny myself, nothing's going to change. Any advice on what to do is appreciated. Does anyone else have the same symptoms? I’m also curious if anyone has tried seeing a naturopathic doctor? It seems like a last resort but nothing is working and I can’t take it anymore! Thank you for any advice and for reading.
SFO
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Overwhelmed- Please Help. Naturopathy?

Postby WrinkledClue » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Boy, you're asking the million dollar question; I'd say most of us here have red faces that we wish were not.

You're going to find that different things work for different people. I've been struggling with this for six or seven years, and here's what's worked for me.

Clonidine-- an old prescription anti hypertensive that acts as a vasomotor stabilizer and blunts the flushing

Remeron-- one of the newer tricyclic antidepressants that also blunts the flushing

Finacea-- a prescription topical that lowers inflammation

Following a low carb, low calorie diet-- carbs spike insulin which increases inflammation

V Beam from a doctor who has had the machine a long time, specifically the V Beam called a Perfecta made by Candela. Modern vascular lasers target hemoglobin and destroy the blood vessels that are dilating inappropriately and showing the redness.

Advantages of V Beam (and IPL, to a lesser extent IMO) are that nothing else really eradicates the redness once it's there. That is, it works.

Disadvantages of lasers in general include pain during treatment; downtime afterwards-- you're going to be hot and flushy and possibly bruised and swollen for a while afterwards if the treatment was hot enough to do any good, also they cost a fair amount of money and you have to find an experienced operator.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you!
WrinkledClue
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby SFO » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks very much for the response. I believe I tried Clonidine when I was first diagnosed but didn't see any results. However, I was still drinking red wine at the time so I'm wondering if that negated some of the effects. I'm hesitant to try the V-Beam because of the cost factor. I asked my dermatologist and he actually told me he wouldn't recommend it in my case. Though his advice pretty much begins and ends with "avoid triggers such as alcohol, caffeine, hot water, cold, etc., etc..." I have also been looking through the "success" portion of the forum though it's tough to tell what would help me since a lot of the people didn't specify what type of Rosacea they have. I'm just so frustrated with this right now!
SFO
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SFO » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Hello all. I went to my dermatologist last week and he prescribed Oracea and recommended pulse-dye treatments. They are however quite expensive so I am wondering if anyone has tried this and what the results were. Did you feel it was worth the cost? Thank you.
SFO
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:06 am

SFO wrote:Hello all. I went to my dermatologist last week and he prescribed Oracea and recommended pulse-dye treatments. They are however quite expensive so I am wondering if anyone has tried this and what the results were. Did you feel it was worth the cost? Thank you.

Hello and Welcome! (wave)

I haven't had this particular treatment, but did you have a look in our laser section?

viewforum.php?f=18
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby stringal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:14 pm

hi , chinese traditional medicine says that under rosaceae there is usualy dry lungs and heat on stomac liver or spleen .it is not easy to diagnose, only an good and experienced doctor will be able to diagnose it properly , but without any claims that i even undearstand it i can share my experience , please comfirm all that i say because i can be wrong... i take no responsabilities ok! is just what i have done myself : if the nose is dry inside realy without secretions probabely the lungs are the main cause ! if one gets hunger even afeer an meal probably the stomac are the main cause ! if one is with an irascible bad temper allways in harsh words probable the liver are the main cause ! if one sweets a lot and the mouth is dry probably the spleen are the main cause ! not easy to treat this causes only an doctor can do it ... but i have use some triks can aleviate but are limitated : for dry lungs i have tried to make inspirating air with pulverysed whater ... an usual plant for whatering can do it i has to have good regulation it has to be able to do whater realy plurverised like air it is an mist ... breathing this is what i do, it relieves ...for the fire on stomac aloe plant is great but is so strong that can pertubate digestion ... beeter to use on empti stomac before eat ... for the fire on the spleen is to avoid all sweats all without exception it helps ... for the liver is to avoid all spices every thing that is hot flavor , there are lists of foods whit the hot or cooling effects on the web is very useful to have sutch knoligh...but unfortunatly even i using this metods, quite naive , it does not cure ! but it controls to some extent ... please confirm all my metods with your doctor do not use nothing withou medical aprovel !!! i can be mistaked and i am only an ignorant commom person ...
stringal
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby LisaA » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 am

Hello,

I am new here and am also feeling overwhelmed....pre-June 2010 I had lovely clear, soft, smooth skin that had some pinkness in my T-zone. I have never had acne etc but do have a surgical scar on one cheek (not very noticeable). In June I had an allergic reaction to a new shirt and had a contact rash over my body. Around that time I noticed I was flushing a lot, mostly due to warm rooms, sometimes in distinct patches. In July I noticed some persistent redness and broken capillaries for the first time. I didn't freak out too much and thought a little laser would sort things out (I'm 37 by the way). The Dr at the surgery told my I had rosacea which was a chronic inflammatory disease, and said they had ASAP products there which people really liked. I bought all of these and started using them. These products contain AHAs, BHAs, salicylic acid and alcohol and I used them for 2 weeks - my skin of course went much redder and I can't believe I was stupid enough to follow his advice.

I then discovered this forum and info about IPL. I went to a place run by a nurse, she said she had had mixed results but gave me Medik8 red alert to use. Which I did, for 6 weeks, and by now my skin was a mess. I had constant heat in one cheek, throbbing, it was stinging and very red and inflamed. I didn't want to leave the house. A dermatologist recommended changing to Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser; the moisturiser made me redder, the cleanser seemed okay so I used this. I also went on doxy 100 mg for 3 months. But now my skin started peeling with loads of dry skin. I used a gentle cleaning mitt to remove and then I saw lots of large pores for the first time. Why would this happen?

Sorry this is so long...since this time I've had 3 IPLs (Sciton BBL) at a reputable dermatology practice and the red has reduced somewhat but my skin is absolutely nothing like it was before. I am distraught. My pores across my cheeks are huge making my make-up look terrible (orange skin texture with some extra course patches). For products, I cleanse with just water and my mitt gently at night, then use Mismo Vit ACE serum (in jojoba oil) and an anti-ageing cream (this line is Australian and was devised my a lovely lady with rosacea). I take vit A, C and E and flaxseed oil and I have an excellent diet.

But I feel my skin is irrepairably ruined, I don't want to leave the house, I have found out I have autoimmune thyroid disease, and my mother has this too and has developed sensitive skin and a coarse texture, although probably not rosacea.

Did I ruin my skin my taking these people's advice? What kind of improvements can I expect if any? I plan to continue with the IPLs although my skin texture is worse than before I began. This is so awful. I think the skin texture is bothering me more than redness, why did this happen? Could the AHA product have done this?

Artist if you are there: you say good things about the Clarisonic cleasnser system. Have you ever had an issue with pore size, did this help? Does anyone know if pore size can reduce once it is there?
Thanks
Lisa.
LisaA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bellableu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:30 pm

LisaA wrote:
Sorry this is so long...since this time I've had 3 IPLs (Sciton BBL) at a reputable dermatology practice and the red has reduced somewhat but my skin is absolutely nothing like it was before. I am distraught. My pores across my cheeks are huge making my make-up look terrible (orange skin texture with some extra course patches). For products, I cleanse with just water and my mitt gently at night, then use Mismo Vit ACE serum (in jojoba oil) and an anti-ageing cream (this line is Australian and was devised my a lovely lady with rosacea). I take vit A, C and E and flaxseed oil and I have an excellent diet.

But I feel my skin is irrepairably ruined, I don't want to leave the house, I have found out I have autoimmune thyroid disease, and my mother has this too and has developed sensitive skin and a coarse texture, although probably not rosacea.

Did I ruin my skin my taking these people's advice? What kind of improvements can I expect if any? I plan to continue with the IPLs although my skin texture is worse than before I began. This is so awful. I think the skin texture is bothering me more than redness, why did this happen? Could the AHA product have done this?

Artist if you are there: you say good things about the Clarisonic cleasnser system. Have you ever had an issue with pore size, did this help? Does anyone know if pore size can reduce once it is there?
Thanks
Lisa.

Hi Lisa. :)

I don't know about IPL, having never done them, tho' many others here have, so hopefully someone can speak to your concerns (BTW, have you read through the various IPL & laser threads in the subforum?). But I did want to reassure you a little bit about your skin texture - I am not a dermatologist, and obviously I'm not looking at your skin right now, but based upon what you wrote here it sounds as if the coarseness & 'large pores' you're seeing are what many of us experience as a result of the rosacea inflammation. Your pores haven't really changed size, they appear more prominent because the inflammation causes the surrounding tissues to swell slightly. I get this as well, if my Rosacea is flaring badly, my skin looks 'bumpy' and rough in texture - for years I thought it was clogged pores, and acted accordingly, and that only made my skin more upset. Now I know better, and treat my skin as gently as possible.

Your skin is constantly renewing itself, so many of the problems we notice on the surface can correct themselves as the skin becomes healthy again. So usually things are not irreparable - but it can take some time to calm things down to where we do not notice them.

I don't think Artist is a regular visitor here anymore, so I don't know if she will respond to your question about the Clarisonic. But I use one, and I can tell you my experience, briefly. :) I have learned to use it no more than once or twice a week. For Rosaceans, gentleness is key. The Clarisonic is not particularly harsh, but it does have a vibrating action with the brush head, and even using the Delicate brush, I can overdo it easily (increasing redness, irritation). I use because it does have a slight exfoliating/polishing effect that I like (I use Retin-A, and want a gentle physical exfoliator), but its main effects are to deeply cleanse the skin. This can be drying, even with a creamy cleanser. Those with not-so-sensitive skin can use it daily, but Rosacea skin is something else. :) This deep cleansing can help lessen the appearance of pores, but nothing can actually change the size of them - and remember, your pores are probably fine! It's the inflammation that makes them more prominent. I don't actually recommend the Clarisonic to anyone with Rosacea that is not somewhat controlled - it is far too easy to overdo it. I know the studies done by the Clarisonic people indicated it had positive effects with daily use, but I don't see how that would work. I do think that regular use helps to thicken my skin a bit (which is a good thing), but I still wouldn't increase my use to daily, despite what the Clarisonic people say.

I hope that's a little helpful.

The thyroid condition may be giving you some additional issues that are not related to Rosacea, so have patience with yourself as you go through this process. :)

Take care!
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby maude » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 am

I've had gemini laser about five treatments and it really reduced the red. Then I took a break for three years and now they're doing laser genesis on me. Two treatments and not a significant reduction. Good luck.
maude
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby spencer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Maude,

Would you then recommend Laser Genesis for helping with the redness? How long did the treatment last after you first got it?

Thanks.
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Red Face