Clonodine survey

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Clonodine survey

Postby Mike T » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi

Whoever has tried this product please assign it a % based on % reduction in overall redness you estimate it lead to.

For example 50% would mean you believe it reduced you redness by half.
If it lead to a worsening of conditions please also assign a % but put a negative sign "-" infront.

feel free to leave small notes if needed. This is just a quick poll to localise user views of the product particularily from those who have tried it but can't be bothered posting. It is noted that what works for one may not work for another.

Thanks
Mike T
Moderator Team

Re: Clonodine survey

Postby WrinkledClue » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm

It's difficult to assign it a number because my rosacea is so debilitating, but Clonidine is an immense help in blunting my horrific and painful flushing. I noticed a difference from the very first dose. And if I am late with a dose or forget a dose, I get quite red, so I know it's helping. Maybe a 50 to 75% reduction? It's great stuff for me. Only side effects I see are dry mouth, so I use Biotene mouthwash so I don't get cavities from the dry mouth. Hope this helps.
WrinkledClue
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi.
I use Clonidine too but like WrinkledClue, I also do/take other things that contribute in reducing my symptoms so very hard to give a percentage. It does help though so (yes) from me.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 am

I asked GP for clonodine today. He never prescribed for flushing before but was very helpful and gave me script, but asked me to get my blood pressure checked monthly. I would usually go to derm and pay $110 for him to "maybe" prescribe what i asked for.

Anyways he asked me for dosage and i could not remeber what i read on this forum so he just gave me the following :

CLONODINE HYDROCHLORIDE TABLET, 100mcg , 1 daily.

Can anyone that uses this stuff confirm that this is an ok dosage to start of with.

I am very excited to use this as redness and blushing is my main rosace problem.

Thankyou.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby WrinkledClue » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:29 pm

I take 50 mcg every 8 hours. If I were you, I would split those pills in two and take half, every 12 hours. Clonidine has a short life in the body and you want to keep a continuous level of it in the blood.

When you split them, split away from the score on the pill so they will break cleanly.
WrinkledClue
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 pm

I take 25 micrograms x 3 a day. But I can safely up to 4 if I need to, like after running. Some people take even more, in which case checking bllod pressure regularly is a good thing.

Here's a thread about it:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=394&p=3090&hilit=clonidine#p3090

Wrinledclue again has a good suggestion: cutting them in half.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks.

i took the frst 50 mcg today.dont feel much different. guess it too early to tell.

I am going for a shoulder operation soon and they have asked me if im on any blood thining medications. Does anyone know if this Is this one of those?

I know steroids are blood thinners so i will make sure not to try any new products 2 weeks before surgery so there is no need to use them.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Lisamouries » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:29 pm

I think you need to ask them about it. It's primary use is reducing blood pressure. However the dose is really quite minimal so the Dr might be OK about it.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Return to Red Face