skiing

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

skiing

Postby turveyjane » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello,

New to the site and hoping for some advice. I want to go skiing and snowboarding for the first time but am worried about protecting my face from the sun and wind. Also i am worried about the change in temperature from the very cold outside to central heated inside. Has anyone been able to go skiing or snowboarding without causing a flare up?

Any help or advice would be great x
turveyjane
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: skiing

Postby Naturaltreatments » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Some people find the Zinco cream now sold by Rosacea Care helps them to stop flushing a little when applied to the face; don't know if that would work in the intense cold of the snow? A baby aspirin will help the flush go down very quickly if you take it within an hour or so of making the move from the cold to the warm environment, or any blood thinner like MSM. These won't prevent me flushing in the cold as such but they certainly will help the flush go away very quickly when move out of the cold.
Naturaltreatments
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 am

(wave) Just saying welcome! I'm not a snowboarder or skiier, so I can't help much, but you will probably get some good answers from other members, such as naturaltreatments! Good luck :)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Turveyjane and welcome to our board. (wave)

Sorry, I'm another with no interest in winter sports ... apart from loving to watch figure skating and ice dancing on TV.

Have you seen this thread, which is about how to minimise the effect of changes in temperature?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=431

Considering how sensitive rosacea skin usually is, perhaps go with double protection by applying sunscreen and putting on a face-protector especially made for winter sports, with or without a soft, silky liner? I remember several readers at our email-based board, the Rosacea Support Group, posting in the past about such things. In case it helps, here are a couple of the posts:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ro ... sage/79975
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ro ... sage/74908

One of our dear RSG members also suffering from ocular rosacea recently asked for advice on finding ski goggles that would protect his eyes, I guess without pressing on his rosacea-afflicted skin, but no one had anything to offer. If you happen to spot something suitable, please tell us about it!

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:23 am

I don't know how feasible this is while snowboarding, etc. but I just got this in my Finacea newsletter:

Caution: winter weather (and triggers!) ahead
Don't let the cold season catch you off guard. Winter weather brings triggers – both expected and unexpected – that can make your rosacea flare up.

Here are 3 of the common triggers to be aware of – and learn how to avoid them:

• Strong winds can irritate skin – try protecting your face with a scarf (make sure it's made from a fabric that won't irritate your skin).

• Indoor heating, heavy clothing and exposure to heat sources such as a wood fire or heat vent can all worsen your rosacea – so keep your thermostat comfortably low, wear layers to avoid overheating and avoid direct exposure to heat.

• Hot drinks that keep you warm in cold weather can cause facial flushing – if this is a problem for you, try cooler drinks.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Red Face