Permanent Redness

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Permanent Redness

Postby kimichu » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:34 am

Hello! I'm just 18 years young, and I've been battling permanent facial redness for nearly 6 years. It took dermatologists 5 years to diagnose me with Rosacea. The redness is only on my nose and cheeks, but it takes such a toll on my self-esteem! I just hate being red 24/7! I don't really mind the rosy cheeks, but my red nose is just awful! I feel like I have to put a mask on everytime I walk out the door, so I cover my face in makeup. And makeup always comes off if something brushes up against my face, or if it's been on for a long period of time.

I don't know what to do. I feel so alone and hopeless at this point. I'm just about to finish up my last prescription of Accutane, and my dermatologist wants to put me on some topical creams. However, I'm hesitant about the creams because I'm afraid it might make my redness spread or something. I recently had a laser treatment for the redness, but it was $700, and the derm said that I'd have to have 4 more treaments in a row, plus get touch-ups every 3 to 6 monthes to maintain the results. I just can't afford to do that!

Has anyone had permanent facial redness, used a topical cream, and found success? And if my redness subsides from a topical cream, will it just come back if I stop using it?
kimichu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Permanent Redness

Postby Lisamouries » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 am

Welcome Kimichu.
Permanent redness is a real bummer... I have that too. I think you should give topicals a go though. It's a process of elimination and it might be that you have to combine several treatments to get where you want to be.

I use metrogel .75% every night, and I make sure I use a strong moisturiser as topicals are very drying and can increase redness through the dryness. Some people here from the US say Vanicream found at places like Wallmart work really well for moisturising. I also think that in the winter with the excess heating you can benefit from a stronger moisturiser anyway.

I also do Red Light Therapy every morning for 10mns. This is a slow process as you will only see results after 3 to 6 months but I believe this has helped my redness and burning sensation associated with this tremendously. You can find out more about RLT in the thread below:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=699

Then, I take Clonidine which is a vasodilator medication x 3 a day. Once morning and Evening and when I feel a flush coming on.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=394

Last but not least I add some vitamin D3 and Omega 3.

I know it's a lot to take in but have a good read through all the threads and come back with any questions.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby kimichu » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Lisa! Hearing someone with permanent redness say that I should try a topical cream is definitely encouraging. My derm mentioned metrogel, so I think that may be what she prescribes to me first. I'm interested in the other medications you mentioned, and I'm definitely going to take note of them and mention them to my dermatologist.

How have these medications and therapies helped your permanent redness? Is it gone for the most part?
kimichu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby kristie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 am

kimichu - I don't want to be negative but rather let you know what happened with me with the topical. I too have had permanent redness for at least 15 years. I finally went to the Derm and was diagnosed with Rosacea. My Derm had me try the metrogel and it only inflamed my face even more. As a matter of fact, I never had the burning sensation that so many people talk about until I tried the metrogel. I decided to quit that since it was only making matters worse. I tried the antibiotics with no luck. So my Derm referred me to another Derm for laser since he thought that was the only thing left that might help me. I have had my first laser and was told that it would take 6-8 treatments to see a difference but that I may also be resistant to laser. I was bummed to hear that but I would rather the Derm be honest up front so I know what may be the result. So far I haven't had any improvement but he told me I wouldn't after the first treatment. He said this kind of Rosacea (the vascular) is the hardest kind to treat and the permanent redness would always have to be treated. I'm guessing I'm looking at the same maintenance treatment that you were told about. I also have several larger vessels on my cheeks and smaller ones on my nose and those have not improved with the one treatment either.

This has been my experience and just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. You may want to start by testing a small spot first and see if there are any effects, positive or negative.

I wish you luck and keep us posted on how things are going for you.

Kristie
kristie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby kimichu » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 am

Hello, Kristie! Thank you for responding to me. I appreciate you telling me how you reacted to Metrogel. If I happen to receive a prescription for it, I'll definitely try using it on a small spot on my face first.

I have erythematotelangiectatic rosacea. It's a lot like this:

That's not me, but it's just flat-out, splotchy redness over my nose and cheeks like that. It's actually a little less severe than that, normally. It (temporarily) looks exactly like that when I put lotion on, or something. Regardless of its severity, though, it still bothers me. I just wonder why, at my age, I have this. I wish there were more answers out there, as to why this is caused and how we can stop or prevent it.

I'll keep you guys posted throughout my treatments. Let me know how your treatments help you! I, too, got 1 laser treatment and saw no results. It was sooo expensive, and my dermatologist told me that if I start getting laser treatments now, I'll end up having to get them for the rest of my life. I decided to not get any more laser treatments for now, but let me know if they help you at all!

Good luck with everything! :]
kimichu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Kimichu.
To answer your question, I'm still pinkish but not as bad a your pic. I can still look like that when I go out in the very cold weather or from very cold to very warm but so does most of the population! You have to think of what is an acceptable degree of redness for you and work towards getting to that level.

Of course, I'm not saying the topical will systematically work for you but until you try you just won't know. The important thing is to work with your Doctor not against him. This is not always possible as sometimes the Doctors are just not that interested but if you aren't satisfied with the responses you are getting than change Doctors. At least we still have the power to search for someone who cares. So take the information you have collated here and try discussing it with your Doctor and see. There is certainly no harm in being informed.

Remember Rosacea is difficult but you have to approach it one step at a time and eventually you will find a treatment plan which will be acceptable to you.

Kristie, have you tried any vasodilator pills like Clonidine, Dixarit or Atenolol?
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby kristie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Lisa - No, I haven't tried them. I saw two Derms locally and have now been referred to one that is 3 hours away. I had my first laser with him and feel he knows what he is doing. Honestly, I didn't trust the other two to really help me so I never brought it up with them but I wrote the names of the meds down and plan to ask when I head for my next treatment at the end of February.

Kristie
kristie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Kristie. That sounds promising. If you get the results you want than 3 hours is nothing in the end.
In any case, let us know how progress goes.
All the best.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby kimichu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 am

Hi all!
My dermatologist gave me a prescription for Finacea, and I started it today.
I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference in a few weeks!
kimichu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 am

That's great real interested to know as have same type of rosacea as yours.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Red Face