Getting rid of redness?

As we all know, rosacea is more than just a red face, but indeed trying to treat the redness or erythema associated with rosacea is quit tricky. Use this forum to get the lastest and greatest information.

Re: Getting rid of redness?

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:16 am

Mariah Carey has rosacea?? Her skin is absolutely flawless.

I'd be interested in hearing how the milk compress works for you, Auburn!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Auburn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:01 am

Thanks for the reminder, Cathy.

I'll give it a try this week and let you know.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby louie147 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi Folks,
Just thought id post an experince that has helped me,
i suffer from a really red face especially in my overly hot office,
anyway having read lots of stories of working out in a gym and it causing flares
i have avoided it,
but last week i joined and ive been working out but more importantly
swimming 3 or 4 times a week in a chlorinated pool,
since ive started the redness has really gone down and my skin feels
alot better and its not tight anymore,
i really dont think its a coincidence,
will it last i doubt it and it hasnt gotten rid of it but
it has helped for sure,
so give it a go its helped me
louie147
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Auburn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:25 pm

CrabbyCathy wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how the milk compress works for you, Auburn!

Hi Cathy (wave),

Well, I tried the cold milk compress twice. Friday my face was slightly pinker than usual and a tad warm, also. I applied the milk compress on one cheek for ten minutes. I can't say that it reduced the pinkness a lot, maybe just a tiny bit but I'd say that it helped cool down the skin. When I removed the compress, the skin on that cheek felt rough but not tight.

I applied the compress again on Sunday, after an exercise-triggered mild flush. This time I treated both cheeks and nose. I found it relaxing and my cheeks looked a bit paler but chin and forehead, which I didn't treat, were almost as pale.

I'd say that, yes, for temporary relief, this works. It's soothing and cooling but I'd have to test it again after a real flush, when my face gets red; I'd probably do a half face treatment.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Auburn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi Louie (wave),

A few months ago a member posted about a similar experience. She said that, after swimming, her skin felt very soft and was not as red (here's the thread - Lisa followed up with an interesting article she had found on the BBC website about the effects of bleach on eczema).

I find this very interesting because some rosaceans have reported that tap water irritates their skin. The chemicals used in tap water are very different from those used in swimming pools so perhaps that's why.

Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby louie147 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 pm

thanks Auburn interesting reading,
well as i'll be swimming regularly from now
on i'll post an update in a week or two and see is it still having a positive effect,
theres always hope (clapping)
louie147
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Auburn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:06 pm

louie147 wrote:i'll post an update in a week or two and see is it still having a positive effect

Please do.

Best of luck to you. :)

Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 am

Auburn-NH wrote:
CrabbyCathy wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how the milk compress works for you, Auburn!

Hi Cathy (wave),

Well, I tried the cold milk compress twice. Friday my face was slightly pinker than usual and a tad warm, also. I applied the milk compress on one cheek for ten minutes. I can't say that it reduced the pinkness a lot, maybe just a tiny bit but I'd say that it helped cool down the skin. When I removed the compress, the skin on that cheek felt rough but not tight.

I applied the compress again on Sunday, after an exercise-triggered mild flush. This time I treated both cheeks and nose. I found it relaxing and my cheeks looked a bit paler but chin and forehead, which I didn't treat, were almost as pale.

I'd say that, yes, for temporary relief, this works. It's soothing and cooling but I'd have to test it again after a real flush, when my face gets red; I'd probably do a half face treatment.

Now I wonder if I have milk in the fridge, since I don't drink it? Wait, I saw my mom having cereal this morning. (rofl)

I think I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Of all things, my rosacea reacted quite strongly to prolonged use of those special N95 masks used in hospitals to protect staff from tuberculosis and now swine flu. Horrible reaction, red, itchy, large papules. Bright red cheeks. AND I had pretty much calmed my skin down nicely after much effort, barring some papules that are small and take forever to go away. (tears)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby louie147 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:49 am

awww cathy sorry to hear that (hug)
try the swim its helped my red face alot
louie147
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Auburn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Cathy,

Last night, after taking a shower, my face was red (not the usual pink but quite red). Not sure why I flushed, might have been the steamy shower -the weather is getting cold here and hot showers feel SO nice (blush)- but this was the perfect opportunity to try the milk compress again. I'm happy to say that it worked quite nicely this time (nod) . After ten minutes, my face was almost pink again. I could see a few tiny red blotches on my left cheek so I decided to apply a bit of milk (as you would a toner) and leave it on for another ten minutes. This didn't seem to make any difference so I rinsed my face with water and moisturized. When I went to bed, my face looked calm, felt cool and those tiny red blotches were gone.

Last night I used two pieces of soft fabric (old t-shirt) which I folded and placed over cheeks, nose and eyelids. This felt so relaxing that, for next time, I'll make a full face compress by stitching two ovals of fabric together with a small opening for the nostrils.

If you are not allergic to milk, I'd say give it a go. I will continue to apply the milk compress daily for a week because it was very soothing and my eyes felt great last night so I want to see if the milk has something to do with that.

Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

PreviousNext

Return to Red Face