Where are your P&Ps?

This is the part of rosacea that can be mistaken for acne - those lumps and bumps that look like teenage acne, but are actually rosacea lesions. These symptoms can often be the easiest part of rosacea to treat. Drop in here for more information.

Where are your P&Ps?

Postby aniemika » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi,

It took me many years to realize I have "papulopustular rosacea" cause I never had the flushing or redness (only around the P&Ps).
I've got the diagnose from some different doctors, and then another said it was something else (acne / perorial dermatitis /candida /you name it)
I really wanted to believe the ones that said it wasn't Rosacea, so that just made me live longer in the dark. I now have realised it is Rosacea but I have the Papulopustular version (and ocular). The worst kind imo... :(
What made it more complicated is that I probably also did have other conditions at the same time and I am still sometimes confused if it is only Rosacea I have or other things too...
Sometimes I even get my hope up that everything is something else and I might be cured some day.. although that doesn't happen so often anymore..

I sometimes get single papules in the hairline on my neck (back) and in back of my ears. I think it often comes around ovulation and have thought it is a hormonal problem but all my hormones seem in order... (have done a lot of tests lately..)
I also get single papules and pustles sometimes on my neck (front) and on chest.

Do you recognize these symtoms? Are they part of Rosacea or could it be something else?
It is not many and not all the time so it seems bad to start applying expensive topicals all over, maybe it would even make it worse too.. Still I want to get rid of them too.. (haven't got rid of the face P&Ps though..)
I have much more in my face. Both pustules and papules there. At least 5 every day and often 10 and more.
Every day.
Life sucks with this condition, am really sad about it.

Thankful for any input!
aniemika
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: Where are your P&Ps?

Postby Angy79 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi.
I'm sorry you were diagnosed with rosacea. I totally understand how you feel, I'm there too...It sucks!
I, too, have been searching for other possible causes or illnesses (like candida) but never found a "cure" that affected my rosacea.

As for your p&p's. I have that type of rosacea too (mostly papules but with an occasional pustule now and then). I don't get them on the back of my neck or behind my ears, but I do have some in my neck an on my chest, just above and between my breasts. I don't do anything to treat those though cause they are so small they're hardly noticable and they don't really bother me.
Have you tried oral antibiotics? They might clear all of it up, including your face, whether it's regular acne or rosacea. Oral ab's are also said to be effective for occular symptoms.
What do you use for your eyes? How bad are your symptoms? I get the dry and irritated eyes with a little bit of redness. Artificial tears and antihistamine eyedrops help a lot with that (but I also have seasonal allergies so it might be that's why they're working).
I hope you find something that works.
34 year old female, diagnosed with rosacea nov 2007
Subtype 2 (p&p) with minor flushing (mostly stress/emotion related)
Subtype 4 (occular rosacea) / "meibomian gland dysfunction"
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby coniston » Mon May 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi I have been to the doctors 3 weeks ago with pustules now behind my ears, I also get a few now and then on my neck, legs, arms, even on my hair line.He gave me fucidin cream for my neck but didnt clear. I have been using tea tree these pustules which are the same as I get on my face and they sometimes itch. Would be good to hear from someone who gets the pustules all over and has found a cure.

I wonder if its the sebboreic derm that causes them? also have rosacea with pustules, also my redness on my forehead is right up to my hairline not the same as the photos I have seen for rosacea. In the last 2 years my skin has gotten worse I feel even on antibiotics, my lips are dry and sore also I use epaderm for them also sunsense lip sunprotection.
purchased from Amazon cetaphil sun protection with 15sp as its fragrance free ,lanolin free I have allergys to these, I havnt done a skin test yet and wonder if anyone has used it, hoping it will be ok as I paid £17.99 plus £6.1 postage ,because of allergys to certain products that have mention above I seem to have gathered a lot of products I cant use.

Have noticed this last week since stopping drinking coffee and eating more fish that the pustules have not been so big infact they are quite small but still inflamed red also have stopped putting on night cream just moisturize during the day wonder if that has something to do with it. would be really great if it was a sign they are just going to fade away forever. Well I can dream cant I. have accepted that I have this rosacea and derm now by doing a day at a time good days and bad ones I also think it could be worse.
coniston
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oopsiedaisy » Mon May 21, 2012 11:13 pm

To the OP: I've had facial rosacea for 7 years but was also recently (like several weeks ago) diagnosed with ocular rosacea. You said you suffer from ocular as well, correct?

If yes, I'd love to talk about it if you're open to that. Most others on this board don't have ocular....
oopsiedaisy
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby aniemika » Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I have now gone back to the demodex theory... I tried that before but in doubt and never truely completed any treatment programme.
I used chinese products then and wasn't confident they were safe. After a lot of researching... I have recently gone through a tea tree programme (skin + also trying to treat my eyelashes which is almost impossible due to the difficulties not getting the oil in eyes..) and have had an awful break out with is now residing. I have just today received new, safe products which are designed for eliminating demodex and much more thought through than my home treatment so I am just about to transfer to them and continue the treatment that way.

My current "theory" is that the root of my problems are stress and/or intestinal disorders. I am trying to find ways to ease the stress and at the same time, I am doing tests for my stomach for SIBO.
The symptom, I believe is demodex "taking over" the skin. And I am trying to treat that at simultaneously. I think it is working but not sure yet...

My home treatment is based on the studies I found which say 50% tea tree can kill demodex. So I tried different mixtures and the best so far has been to mix teatree with equal amounts of
Borage oil
Argan oil
Aloe Vera
(+ tea tree)

Once a week or more I have put on 50% teatree, everyday, 20%.

For eyes, I massaged and "rolled" eyelashes everyday following wash with TTO as instructed.
Then there is supposed to be a weekly lid scrub with 50% TTO but I have not managed this in fear of hurting my eyes. I have not been able to apply it without anything sipping into the eyes. (TTO is very very bad for the eyes!! be careful!!)
I have also washed my hair and whole body with TTO shampoo and body wash.

I have noticed that if there is too much TTO on skin, i get rashes (bumps) that are not due to demodex dieoff, but to irritation, so the treatment must be balanced. There will be bumps from demodex dying but they look a bit different. So if you try, have this in mind.

It is also very important to treat the whole face + neck, upper shoulders, chest, back... Preferable also hair and eyelashes but I have not found a good treatment for that yet (will start now with new products).

The result so far is good, but still to early to say for sure. I think this treatment is ok but not the best. So today I have new products and will start with them. I wont report until I know if they are good though... so I will be back...

I am sure there is some internal root to this disease, so if you haven't yet, please also check if you have hormonal balance, if you have helicobacter pyri ( i don't have any of those) and most of all - SIBO (waiting for that). Ask to do breath test, nothing else is reliable.

Good luck to us all...
aniemika
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Angy79 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:33 am

I hope this works for you!
34 year old female, diagnosed with rosacea nov 2007
Subtype 2 (p&p) with minor flushing (mostly stress/emotion related)
Subtype 4 (occular rosacea) / "meibomian gland dysfunction"
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Return to Papules & Pustules