My Top 5 for 2007

Feel like reflecting back on a postive experience in dealing with rosacea ? Had some success with treatment and you want to encourage us all ? Please leave a note here and give us all, especially those just diagnosed some encouragement.

My Top 5 for 2007

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:26 am

This time last year there was a thread where lots of people posted their top 5 treatments for the year. I know that I learnt a lot.

So lets see if we can do it again. My regime hasn't changed that much, except that I realise now how simple my regime has become.

Firstly, 2nd from left is Linda Sy Tinted ZincO. I hope that this never goes out of production as I still use it every day.

Next is Hamilton Sensitive 30+ Sunscreen. I use this when I will be outside for an extended period or go for a bike ride. ZincO is no good if you plan on sweating.

As a moisturizer I use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. I use this at least twice a day all over my face and especially on my nose. A bloke regularly using a moisturizer :)

On the right is Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. This is a really mild cleanser that I quite like. It is low lather and very mild. It might not always do the greatest job at cleansing though.

Tied for 5th place would be Cutanix (which you can see in the background as it is currently unavailable) and Rosa Relief. Cutanix would be in my top 5, if you could still buy it :( So far my face hasn't gone crazy since dropping cutanix.

Rosa Relief is an interesting one for me too. I'm still trying this to see if it will become a permanent part of my regime.

So there we go. Very simple - my top 5 (+-1). I don't take anything systemically anymore and don't need any prescription topicals. I've been through them all though.

How about you, what have you added to your "keepers list" during 2007 ? What do you hope to try in 2008 ?
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Re: My Top 5 for 2007

Postby melissaw » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:57 pm

Great thread David!

1.VBeam has helped my flushing even though I am now worried as someone mentioned that it thins the skin and can likely cause pitting after a # of treatments. So it's on my list for 2007 but not so sure about 2008.

2. Eucerin moisturizing lotion and cream. Very soothing, calming and a good moisturizer.

3. Vanicream spf 60 for sensitive skin. It protects with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and helped me stay active all summer.

4. Air conditioning. I use it all winter also when I workout. Really prevents me from big flushes.

5. Ice-cream. Cools me down and really calms any flushes.

Have a happy and healthy 2008 everyone and hopefully good things are on the horizon for our rosacea treatments in 2008 and our list next year may be very different :D

Best wishes,
Melissa
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:04 pm

melissawohl wrote:5. Ice-cream. Cools me down and really calms any flushes.

awesome. can you get it on prescription :P sounds like excellent therapy - especially if it comes from New Zealand !

Thanks for your ranking. It really is interesting to see what people conside at the top of their list.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:42 pm

Love the thread too! I don't have a camera, but here's mine, even though I'm not all that certain I'm all that representative of other rosaceans anymore:

1. Vitamin D3 + N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) - Vit D3 is good stuff - helps the body kill of many pathogens, fight cancer, and reduce inflammation. N-acetyl cysteine gives added protection against C. pneumoniae.

2. FIR Sauna - sounds odd for rosacea, but a good sweat each day seems to help reduce the die-off (and increased porphyria) from #1 above and really improves my skin

3. Lots of Carbohydrates - also sounds odd for rosacea, but it really helps reduce the increased porphyria from #1 above for me as well and really improves my skin

4. Topix Replenix Fortified Cleanser - contains green tea and antioxidants and importantly for me, rinses well

5. Topix Replenix Green Tea CF Cream - contains green tea and caffeine, does not irritate

I'm hoping that continued use of the Vit D3 + NAC in 2008 will eliminate even further the necessity for items 2-5 (although I completely enjoy the FIR Sauna)...

That's about all I do now. Still drink plenty of water...

Happy Holidays.
Dan
Star Member
Star Member

Postby dallascowgirl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm

1. Color Me Beautiful foundation
2. Rosa Relief face cream
3. Ultimate Beauty Oil ( internally)
4..Good Skin, All Calm Creamy Cleanser from Kohl's
5. Dove bar soap for sensitive skin

I take 3 calcium,1 anti-histamine, 1 flaxseed oil capsule,1 Vit. C , 1 baby aspirin, B-6 occasionly, Vit. E, 1 cod liver oil and Tums as needed. I quit taking a multi- vit., anti-biotic and do not use a topical medicine.
dallascowgirl
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Artist » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Mine tends to change slightly over time, but this is what I'm really happy with right now:

1. IPL (laser)
2. RLT (Red Light Therapy)
3) Sea Kelp Bioferment cleanser with Decyl Glucoside
4) Emu Oil, with occasional glycerin and water to moisturize further
5) Combat SIBO: alternate taking Pau D'arco, Garlic, and Olive Leaf Extract

Actually, I've been taking garlic just about every day now and I think it really helps.

I also take one Boswellia every other day and use occasional homemade "treatments" on my skin from Skinactives. And I avoid triggers, which are mostly food related.

This is my favorite concealer. I continue to wonder why it's the only one that doesn't cause irritation:
http://www.beautyplatinium.com/product_p/lrpuncf.htm

My skin is doing really well with this routine (touch wood!)

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Peter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Hello David

Here's the picture of my top 6.

They are:

1. A red light lamp or RLT as some prefer. Have been using since November 1998 and if you don't believe me I can prove it. If someone says long time use causes problems then you come and talk to me. I believe it's the main contributory factor for me achieving remission or whatever you want to describe it as. Remission in rosacea is a subject we can discuss next year.

2. Aloe99 - Great for my sensitive skin especially after shaving. If you can tolerate it then it has a marvellous cooling effect when you feel hot. Many consider it helps heal the skin also but always carry out a patch test first if you decide to try it.

3. Dalacin T Lotion (Clindamycin) - First used in 1997 and found it helped so have carried on ever since. On prescription here in the UK it works out at less than £20 a year for me to use. I could probably cut it out from my regime now but it's cheap and easy to use so.........

4. Clinique mild soap - brilliant. Cleans well, no irritation and the big bar lasts for months.

5. Clinique Aloe "M" Shave for Men - expensive but get a good shave with no irritation. No good for boys though ;)

6. A Christmas Tree - Only kidding just put it in the picture for a festive theme.

That's all I use or put on my face apart from water. I don't do sunscreen because they irritate my skin but I find the sun improves my skin now, so providing I'm careful I don't see the need to block it out. :sunny:

That's it. Happy Christmas and New Year to everybody on here.

Peter
Peter
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artist » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Ha ha ha Peter that's funny!

I forgot to put Atenolol on the list. It's probably in the top three. I use 12.5 mg per day. It prevents social blushing.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby GJ* » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:23 pm

1. RLT
2. Zinco
3. A working life surrounded by charmingly incompetent devils which results in me having little time in which to dwell on a red face.
4. Um, that's it.
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Quiller » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:30 am

1. IPL
  2. Melanotan
  3. Propranolol
  4. Isoretinoin
  5. Supplements (esp. SAMe, Fish Oil)
Honorable mention: Oxymetazoline