Feeling down due to outbreak

How we view ourselves, including our face is an important part of our overall health. Use this forum to discuss psychological aspects of having rosacea such as depression and anxiety for example.

Feeling down due to outbreak

Postby Michelluu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 am

Hi All,
Coming here and reading some of the posts made me a feel bit better, however I am very very down at the moment as I suffer from a new outbreak of rosacea. I am female and naturally it is expected to have such skin conditions covered up by make up. How doing so when you react to everything? It seems no one really understands what the problem is and what I am going through.. My friends, who are more empathetic always tell me that I don't look as bad as I think, that I am not as red as I assume... However, once outside amongst strangers I frequently encounter such questions like: Do you have a sunburn? or, you must be hot! or, you must have been drinking a lot as your nose is so red, in extreme cases, especially when I have an outbreak: why don't you use make-up?

Sometimes I really feel like a disabled person, disabled by society. And it's only a skin disease, nothing which should present me with the same problems a 'real' disabled person encounters. Still, especially now with the new outbreak, I hardly go out and I only feel comfortable amid my friends and family, people knowing my condition. I am treating the day when I have to go back to work, in a customer facing role!! I wonder when my boss or my colleagues will mention something, sometimes I even wonder if my condition would be reason enough to dismiss me from my job?

Well, sorry for being in such a low mood, especially for my first posting here, but I just needed to share my feelings.

Thanks for listening,
Michelluu
Michelluu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Feeling down due to outbreak

Postby fanny » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi and welcome
This is a safe place for you to vent your upset and frustration. It sounds as if you are blessed with good friends and family, which is a major plus. Sadly sometimes strangers make the kind of remarks you allude to, in that case I say simply that I have rosacea and if they are interested they can google it for more information. If I'm feeling especially feisty, I ask Do I know you, with a smile and when they say no I say, with a smile, then I don't discuss personal matters with strangers.
One thing though, please do not let this condition box you in, most people are not that interested in whether our faces are red, they are mostly interested in their own problems, as it should be.
What medications are you using?
Keep your chin up
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Return to Psychological Aspects