How to react to people's bad comments

How we view ourselves, including our face is an important part of our overall health. Use this forum to discuss psychological aspects of having rosacea such as depression and anxiety for example.

How to react to people's bad comments

Postby cris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi, i'm new here, I just found this website and I'm so happy to realise there are people who understand how I feel. I used to feel like I was going crazy, that no one ever felt the same as me and that my thoughts were inapropriate and weird. I'm just glad to know that most rosacean feel bad about their condition as well. I've had rosacea since I was 14 and i'm now 20, but I still can't manage to answer when people say I'm blushing. I feel tense and I simply can't give them a nice, proper answer. I pretend I'm okay but I'm really not. The other day I had a dinner with some college friends and the place was overheated and I was feeling really flushed and a "friend" said I was looking drunk, because of my red face. I din't even touch alchooloc and she knew it, so I know she was just trying to be funny. To me she didn't sound funny at all. I know I should have shown her that I didn't appreciate her comment but I just pretended that she wasn't talking about me. But that really hurts.How do you answer people when they are rude and tell you you're blushing? Does that even affect you? My biggest concern with rosacea does not envolve pustules or even excessively red face, but rather involves a lot of blushing and flushing. Please help me! Thanks...
cris
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: How to react to people's bad comments

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:23 am

I've had people tell me I look like I have a rash, what is it, is something wrong, did you know your face is red, etc. etc.

This thread had good suggestions by our members!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2368
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby shellylee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 pm

I have had some embarrassing moments when people have said "Whats wrong your nose is really red" (like I didn't know). People sometimes even think I have been crying. I always just say I have Rocesea. Then i go on to explain that When I get hot or eat certain foods I flush. It's most embarrassing to me at work. I am a receptionist so everyone who comes in to the office see's me first out of anyone. Don't know what else to say besides I have Rocesea.
shellylee
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby bellableu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:22 am

Shellylee: I don't think you need to say anything else. :)

Honestly, every time this topic comes up here, I am simply appalled at the questions & comments people face. :(

The worst thing anyone has ever said to me is, "Do you know your face is red?" And that was out of concern that something was wrong with me because it was unusual to see me flush as badly as I was flushing that moment.
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby Redfacegirl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:34 pm

You might not see this and that's fine but I'm 15 and I have rosacea and very bad depression because of it. Most of the derms. I have seen told me my face probably won't calm down until my 20's. did your rosacea calm down or get worse as you got older?
Redfacegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Singapuracat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:01 am

I just tend to tell people what I have and it usually shuts them up.

Although it never fails to amaze me how many total strangers find it quite acceptable to point out that you have a red nose and being in Australia thinking I am yet another stupid 'pom' who doesn't know how to use sunscreen! I mean that is just not acceptable. Would they go up to a person who had an artificial limb and point it out to them and wonder how careless they are to lose it! No I doubt it very much! Sorry rant!

It is more hurtful when it is somebody you know such as a friend or family member who like to laugh and point out your red nose after a glass of wine and say you look all red and 'drunk'. My step-mother was a real great one for this (vangry) and would take great delight in pointing it out and laughing. She knew exactly what the problem was. Well at least I don't have to see her any more since my father died.
Singapuracat
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Psychological Aspects