Considering purchasing a red light machine

LLLT can include light emitting diodes (LED), lamps and fluorescent tube devices. This form of therapy appears to help the inflammation of rosacea. LED is one example of a gentle form of light which can be used. There are also infra-red and near infra-red forms of light therapy being reported as effective. Drop by here to find out the latest about this emerging treatment area.

Re: Considering purchasing a red light machine

Postby oldredlady » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Update: Still using the red Acnelamp 20 min daily, don't see much improvement in redness as yet, but I remain hopeful. :)

Unfortunately, I had a bad p&p outbreak on my cheeks recently, not sure why, diet and all pretty much the same, have decided perhaps it's the supplements, so am going to quit all except Vit. C and multivitamins and see what happens. Also no more dessert for a while, that should help lower sugar intake, as sugar is unfortunately a trigger (newly discovered) for me.

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby oldredlady » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Update: Figured out what caused the big p&p outbreak, turns out it was the pillow I was using, switched pillows and p&ps are slowly departing, yay! :)

Still using the red lamp and taking vitamins/supplements, like everyone else, I'm a work in progress. :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby amethystice215 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I was wondering if the red light is helping with the broken capillaries at all??
amethystice215
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi Amethystice,

I'm not convinced the lamp is helping with the capillaries, though I am a bit less red these days overall, (or so it seems to me), so the lamp or something is helping with that.

Bought a pillow cover recently to keep dust/allergens away from my face when sleeping and also started washing daily, after waking, with goat's milk soap made by a friend, it cleans without irritating/drying and seems to be helping with the p&ps. :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby fanny » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi
I'm so sorry the red light is not working all that much, I did try to find medical research on red light therapy and its efficacy, but I could only find anecdotal.
The washing of the pillow case is a good tip.
all the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby amethystice215 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Well darn it, Thats a bummer, I was hoping to hear it was helping with the caps as this is my main concern at the moment, in fact I don't think my face would reall be red at all if it wasn't for the hundreds of capillaries i have seemed to developed over the last four months. The two VBEams I had done didn't help at all with them (very disappointing) I haven't used my red light machine for a while but started using it again yesterday, guess it can't hurt to keep it up! Thanks for the updates!
amethystice215
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Fanny and Amethystice,

Yes, it is unfortunate the capillaries are so stubborn when the redness itself seems to be a bit better, but as I bought the Acnelamp for reducing the redness guess it's doing something good, so I'm not entirely displeased.

Amethystice, I'm sorry to hear V beam didn't help with your capillaries, it certinaly got rid of mine some years ago (and left me with a majorly swollen and bruised face for some weeks afterwards) and IPL did, too, (with far less bruising and swelling than V beam), but unfortunately they came back and brought friends, so will be getting lasered (IPL) again in the Fall when it's cooler, in hopes of stemming the little buggers yet again. Have you looked into IPL? It's gentler on the skin than V beam (in my opinion) and I think (based on my own results) does a good job getting rid of unwanted broken capillaries.

Now if only I could quit smoking maybe I could get rid of the suckers for good, unfortunately after 25+ years it's easier said than done.

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby amethystice215 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:26 pm

No, I haven't thought Of IPL because I have always thought VBEam was suppose to be better.. guess that is not always the case though, might have to look into it. I have an appt with a new derm today this is one I have been waiting 4 months to get into see so I hope she is good and can help me get my life back. (please send positive thoughts! and pray for me!! :0) And the smoking thing I can totally relate to, I start a new job on monday and I am going to try not to smoke while at work so hopefully i will be able to quit soon, this is easier said than done for sure.
amethystice215
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby amethystice215 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:42 pm

So I went to this new derm and boy was that a waste of time and money. She said "well it looks like you have tried everything, get off the minocycline and try to quit smoking, and do more lasers but there is nothing I can do for you" I am really thinking I have to deal with this on my own. I will call monday and see if I can get in and try a different laser soon. I am so upset.. I was in tears the whole way home...
amethystice215
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:25 am

Wow, Amethystice, sounds like that derm. could use a refresher course in manners, how rude! IMHO there is always something that can be done, from making dietary adjustments to making lifestyle changes to using the red lamp and lasering, meds., topicals, etc., etc.. Unfortunately IMHO some docs when they don't have the answers don't have the guts to say so.

IMHO IPL works well for capillaries, but I also believe a lot of the success or lack of success when it comes to laser treatments depends upon the skill of the practitioner. A few years ago I had V beam done, but as the doc was heavy handed, I had severe swelling and bruising (which I'd thought was just a normal side effect of lasering til I discovered differently) which took a few months to disappear completely. My current derm. does IPL with a very even hand and does it well, which is why my IPL was successful in the past. I'd suggest finding a derm. who is expert or at least well versed in the usage of lasers before committing to more treatments, maybe ask a doc on the forum who they'd recommend in your area, or get a referral from your primary care doc.

Hang in there, we're all in this together and tomorrow will be a better day.

(hug2) and best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

PreviousNext

Return to Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT)