Considering purchasing a red light machine

LLLT can include light emitting diodes (LED), lamps and fluorescent tube devices. This form of therapy appears to help the inflammation of rosacea. LED is one example of a gentle form of light which can be used. There are also infra-red and near infra-red forms of light therapy being reported as effective. Drop by here to find out the latest about this emerging treatment area.

Considering purchasing a red light machine

Postby oldredlady » Mon May 02, 2011 12:43 pm

After some consideration I've decided to purchase a red light array and was wondering which device would be best for reducing permanent facial redness in the cheek areas?

As I'm currently unemployed and finances are tight, I'm trying to find a good device at a reasonable (for me) price. I found the following for sale on a well known auction site, (NOTE: this is not a plug, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried this particular device and, if so, what you think of it)? I couldn't find any info. about this particular device in the forums, which is why I'm asking:

Microcurrent Red Light Photon Face Massager

Advanced technology facial massager to perform 640nm wavelength high intensity red light therapy as well as microcurrent skin cell regenerative stimulation. Capable of performing both treatments together or separately to prevent formation of new and fight existing signs of aging such wrinkles, spots, sagging skin and to perform lifting effect, increase production of collagen and elastin in the deeper skin layers. Comes with instructions. Power - 110-240V AC.

It sounds good, but I'm concerned that rubbing or massaging the face may be too harsh a treatment for rosacea skin. I'm also not concerned about wrinkles/skin rejuvenation, (though I do have a few, I consider wrinkles a natural part of aging and am not overly concerned about them as yet), just combating stubborn cheek area redness.

If you currently use RLT, which device do you use and do you find it has been helpful in reducing permanent (non-blushing) facial redness?

Many thanks and best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Considering purchasing a red light machine

Postby fanny » Mon May 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi
Whilst I have not used RLT I'm thinking that massage is not a good thing for rosacea skin. We are always told not to rub but blot when washing and not to touch or poke or prod.
all the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Fanny, thanks, I was thinking that myself (re: massage) when I read the device blurb; too bad, as it's one of the most reasonably priced RLT devices I could find online, but IMHO it's not worth the savings if it damages the skin further than it already is.

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby oldredlady » Mon May 02, 2011 8:58 pm

What about the BrightTherapy 3 head (Green Red Blue Infrared LED Cluster with 3 detachable treatment heads)? Is this any good, specifically the red/infrared? I'd hate to spend a fair amount of money on something that might be a worthless product.

Any suggestions on reasonably priced and effective LLLT red light devices/lamps welcomed and greatly appreciated. :)

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue May 03, 2011 3:55 am

Hello!

For rosacea, usually all-red or red/near-infrared is used, not green or blue. I know blue is for true acne, and not sure about the green.

I know it's confusing, but the following threads can help, particularly the last two.

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... ht_Therapy

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=699

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... ED-Choices

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... -LLLT-unit
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks, Cathy, will read these. I was only considering the 3 head model (I wouldn't use the blue; they claim the green is good for reducing brown pigmentation spots, but as I'm not overly concerned about these, I likely wouldn't use that much either) as it's considerably cheaper than some others I've seen, but as the FDA doesn't regulate LED lamps, I don't want to buy something that doesn't work, as the Zeno zit zapper I bought a few years back that was perfectly useless in dealing with my hormonal cystic acne.

Off to read and consider my options... :)

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby oldredlady » Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 pm

OK, I just decided the BrightLight is a no go, as I read that they produce the SoftLaser and I bought a handheld SoftLaser some years ago that didn't do beans for my redness. AcneLamp sounds good and I've found the most info. on their products, so maybe the single head red lamp is the way to go, at least to start with. I'm a little leery of IR and NIR, as I had V beam done a few years ago and, IMHO, the strength/penetration of the V beam laser has damaged my skin in the treated areas, i.e. made them more red and veiny. IPL seemed to work at first, without the swelling and bruising of the V beam, but the redness and capillaries came back with a venegeance within a few months and it was too $$$ to continue for long. Ideally, I'd like something I could use at home on a daily basis that would gradually eliminate or at least greatly reduce my redness without bankrupting me in the process. :)

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed May 04, 2011 11:42 pm

I know some of the posts were a lot of reading, but after my head stopped spinning, I think they ultimately helped. I do wish I had read them before purchasing my lamp, because I might have gone for all-red, but I need to just make time and use my lamp to see what happens. (single-head Acnelamp, red/infrared).

By the way--I feel the same way about IPL. I have two more treatments, the "touch-up" ones they recommend, and am only following through because I already paid for them. Most of us don't have the $$ to keep going back forever (I know I sure don't), and if an unexpected flare will return some of the symptoms (as in my case)--why bother? That's just my opinion. (speechless)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Tue May 10, 2011 11:59 pm

Cathy, I agree, I sure don't have the $$$ for continual lasering, especially now, as I'm unemployed. I'm hoping to purchase a single head all red Acnelamp in the near future; IR scares me, due to damage I believe was done to my cheeks from repeated aggressive V beam lasering in years past, I'm leery of anything that penetrates too deeply into the dermis as they claim IR and NIR do.

Here's hoping the Acnelamp helps you. :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby oldredlady » Fri May 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Just bought my Acnelamp (single head red bulb desk lamp) online this morning, soooooo excited! I can't wait til it comes and I can start using it daily, have my fingers, eyes and toes crossed that it helps with the redness. :)

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Next

Return to Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT)