Red/Near-Infrared + Green Tea

LLLT can include light emitting diodes (LED), lamps and fluorescent tube devices. This form of therapy appears to help the inflammation of rosacea. LED is one example of a gentle form of light which can be used. There are also infra-red and near infra-red forms of light therapy being reported as effective. Drop by here to find out the latest about this emerging treatment area.

Red/Near-Infrared + Green Tea

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54 am

Just posting my thoughts :)

I haven't used my Acnelamp in quite a long time, so I decided to drag it out and try it for 10 minutes. It does contain both red and near-infrared bulbs. In the past, I didn't stick to it long enough to see a difference but never saw any negative effects. The only time I turned pink was using it too soon after IPL a few years ago. Since then, my lamp was "resting" in the closet.

Well, today, I had also read on another forum about applying green tea to your face, letting it dry, then doing a session. About five minutes into my session, I started to feel pulsing, tingling, and little zaps in my cheeks. Quite odd, since usually I feel nothing at all. Soon after, the timer went off, and I went into the bathroom. Lovely! Bright red, blotchy patches had intensified/appeared on my cheeks. Mind you, I was already flaring a bit, since early January, but had calmed it down a bit with a tiny bit of cortisone.

I am attributing this to the green tea, and not the near-infrared as was my first instinct. Hopefully this calms down by tomorrow, because I do have to go to work. I shall try again, sans green tea, on Saturday, and see where it goes. I am tempted to buy a replacement head that is all-red, but will give my current lamp a try for a few months before spending the money.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Re: Red/Near-Infrared + Green Tea

Postby LoriRosy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:36 pm

How is the acne lamp working out? I have had Rosacea for 30 years now. It is such a frustrating disorder. I am always looking for a way to minimize the symptoms or even possibly get rid of them altogether! I have tried putting green tea bags directly on my rosy cheeks and even drinking the tea, but my Rosacea gets worse. My Rosacea was pretty well under control until a couple of months ago. I have been on Sodium Sulfacetimide 10% & 5% Sulfur prescribed by my dermatologist. I was so upset when I tried to refill my prescription the next month-the pharmaceutical company stopped making this product!!! (tears) Dermatologist gave me a prescription of Sodium Sulfacetimide 10% & 5% Sulfur Suspension. This product flared my Rosacea up horribly! I should have studied the ingredients before I put it on my face. It has Benzyl Alcohol in it. I have an appt. scheduled for May with my doctor. In the meantime, I tried using Prosacea. That irritated my face too. I wonder if I may now have an intolerance to Sulfur topically, since I was on it for 15 years. I am allergic to Cetaphil and most other products on the market. I cannot use anything with Sodium Laurel Sulfate. Pure Glycerine soap bothers my face too! I can't even use Clinique. The only thing I can wash my face with is Baking Soda. I make it like a paste. I have combination skin. I cannot use any oil on my face, it makes my pores huge. I have also started putting Hydrogen Peroxide on my face before I moisturize. The Hydrogen Peroxide also alleviates the burning and stinging. This seems to cut down on the lesions and scaling that I get too. I moisturize with Eucerin Original Lotion. When I have flare ups, I use Zinc Cream. I love Revlon's Colorstay make-up. It works wonders to conceal my redness. I just recently heard of using green concealer to hide the redness. I am concerned that my make-up would look too cakey with a concealer and foundation on top of that. Today, I took some green eyeshadow and mixed it with my foundation. It doesn't look too bad. Hope to hear from you. I am always open for advice. I am attaching a picture from today. I put the foundation on one side of my face to show the difference. This is with the green eyeshadow mixed in my foundation.
LoriRosy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 am

I haven't been consistently using the lamp, unfortunately. It's hard to squeeze it in when I work evenings, etc etc. (doh) I know others who use it consistently, for, say, 10 minutes per day, do see results after a few months.
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:39 am

Also, I've been meaning to mention---baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are quite harsh on the skin, but if it works for you, I hesitate to advise a change.

What was the brand-name of the sulfur product you were using, and the one that caused a reaction? I don't know if you have a reaction to sulfur, since the product you were using before it was discontinued worked so well. It may well be the suspension the product is in--ie, gel vs cream, etc.

How did the green version of your foundation work for you? I know how you feel about having too many layers and feeling/being cakey.
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT)