Does Red Light Therapy cause blood vessel dilation?

LLLT can include light emitting diodes (LED), lamps and fluorescent tube devices. This form of therapy appears to help the inflammation of rosacea. LED is one example of a gentle form of light which can be used. There are also infra-red and near infra-red forms of light therapy being reported as effective. Drop by here to find out the latest about this emerging treatment area.

Does Red Light Therapy cause blood vessel dilation?

Postby spencer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a RLT unit and was wondering if the all red LED can cause blood vessel dilation. I read an article a while back that mentioned that the RLT can improve circulation and hence the dilation, but this is a temporary effect. Has anyone heard about this and can this actually pose a problem for rosacea? I have had a problem with flushing lately and the last thing I want is improved circulation in my face! :oops:

Thanks!
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Does Red Light Therapy cause blood vessel dilation?

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:13 am

I've been meaning to answer this in some way, because I just read about this too. I still want to try an all-red lamp, though.

It's odd, isn't it? How it helps rosaceans be "pale" yet supposedly increases circulation?

--Increases in blood flow by means of capillary and arterial widening of the lumen of blood vessels, vasodilatation. See Dr. Toshiaki Kami, Effects of Low Power Diode Lasers, Annals of Plastic Surgery, Vol. 14, No. 3, March 1985. (Dr. Kami’s work also showed that the laser light significantly increased the formation of new capillary paths in treated areas, which resulted in increased circulation.)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 am

Interesting.

Whilst increased circulation means more blood flows in.. it also means more blood flows out.

Maybe its an issue relating to efficiency of circulation rather than volume.

This might require a bit of reasearch when time permits. :ugeek:
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby bellableu » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:59 am

I like Mike's explanation! (yes)
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby spencer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Last year, I was using an infrared sauna where you could stick your head out. It definitely helped increase the circulation, but it also helped me look paler shortly after using it. This also makes me think about what my acupuncturist said about my red face. He said that it is the result of poor circulation (i.e. stagnant blood). This made sense to me because my hands and feet are often ice cold while my face is as hot as a furnace. He recommended to eat yin foods, which are listed on the net as well as drinking only warm water (no ice cold water). He also recommended not eating too many raw vegetables as it takes a lot of energy to digest. Also, avoiding vigorous exercise. The idea is to build up the "yin" cooling energy. Right now, I have too much yang. Anyway, I know I mentioned this in another post but thought I'd throw it out there again since it has helped me quite a bit.

I'm expecting my red/yellow lamp any day now and am really excited! :)
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:16 am

I need to go look why you ordered yellow; my memory fails me. Mine is a single-head from AcneLamp. I just wish I had held out and saved for a double-head lamp, but oh well. I need to order an all-red head, but anytime I remember, I'm all settled in and my credit card is way over there.

MikeT, I like your explanation too! (nod) And I remember reading that maybe it encourages new healthier caplillaries to grow, which work better than our weak, damaged little capillaries.
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 am

I think i may have mentioned this before, but its relevant so will do so again;

During Winter when i would be sitting at my work desk for hrs on end i would almost always feel my face was on fire.

It would take very little to bring on a full flush at these times.

What i soon found was that if i got up and walked around a little it would reduce the heat on my face for a while.

I guess by moving around it drew blood from my face to other parts of my body; or improved circulation
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Excellent observation, Mike, and well worth sharing.
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby spencer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi Cathy, Here's some more info regarding yellow light that Aurelia posted: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2625

I decided to get a combination of red and yellow, because I wanted the best of both worlds. Not sure if it would have been better to go all red, but only time will tell. I also decided to go with the alternating light, so I can have red or yellow on individually since they are to be used at different times (although I'm wondering if this even matters!). Last night, I tried it for the first time. Holy smokes, is it ever bright! I think I'll invest in some goggles. I'm only using it for 3 minutes 3-4 x a week right now, so it will be slow going. I felt a bit itchy and dry this morning. It could have been related to the fact that I rinsed my face before treatment. I'm trying not to use too much water on my face, as it can cause me to break out in a rash, but I don't want to use the light when I have cream on. I think the best time will be to do it first thing in the morning. It's so easy to over-think these things. (;)
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:06 am

I used my light on a bare face, with only green tea as a toner, and it was NOT good. I'm not sure if it was the green tea or the bare skin, but after that, I tried just putting on a light layer of Cerave after cleansing and then using my light. Much better!

I use those goggles that you use when "tanning"; they came with my lamp, and they're okay. I didn't want to spend $125 for the metal ones they sell. These are fine!
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT)