Using Red and Near Infared LED and having adverse reactions

LLLT can include light emitting diodes (LED), lamps and fluorescent tube devices. This form of therapy appears to help the inflammation of rosacea. LED is one example of a gentle form of light which can be used. There are also infra-red and near infra-red forms of light therapy being reported as effective. Drop by here to find out the latest about this emerging treatment area.

Re: Using Red and Near Infared LED and having adverse reactions

Postby Ijw » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am

Thank you Peter. I'm going to do as you said, 5 minutes every other day until the end of the period and hopefully my sensetivity will decrease. If not then I think I will have to invest in an all red led box...

Does anyone know where you can buy all red LED machine in the UK?

And thank you Cathy :) I'm definitely going to get another refferal to a different derm, hopefully one that's more helpful!

And yeah, I've been looking into betablockers. Do beta blockers only work for a short period of time? I've read that people take them before speechs to ease their anxiety... Is clonidine a betablocker?

Thank you all :)

I greatly appreciate it!
Ijw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:48 pm

No worries – happy to try and help.

I’m a bit out of touch now with light units especially as everybody seems to be jumping on the band wagon. Someone on the RF currently has a lamp for sale:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea ... post243983

I would persevere with yours a bit longer first and make sure any adverse reactions are not the result of something else e.g. change in diet, medication, stress etc.

If you live in the UK and can get to London fairly easily then try getting an appointment with Dr. Tony Chu at Hammersmith Hospital, who is as a leading authority on rosacea treatment. He monitored my progress for several years and is aware of the beneficial effects of red light for rosacea.

Clonidine can be very effective for rosacea as it helps calm down the blood vessels but you usually need to take it for a long period – years rather than months. It would need to be prescribed by a GP or Dermatologist who is aware of its use for rosacea so that’s why you need to find someone with a proven success rate with treating this condition.

Let us know how it goes.
Peter
Star Member
Star Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:08 am

Found this bit while looking up info for another member:

http://www.rosacea.org/patients/askthedoctors/index.php

Q Do beta-blockers help reduce flushing from rosacea?

(Response from Dr. Jonathan Wilkin, chairman of the NRS medical advisory board, pioneer researcher on flushing and leading expert on rosacea)

In severe cases, a beta-blocker may sometimes be prescribed to help reduce emotionally triggered flushing that is controlled by the autonomic nerves -- the nerves that control functions such as heart rate. This type of flushing usually results from emotional stress such as embarrassment, presenting a talk or performing on a test or onstage. Often, the blushing is accompanied by a sensation of the heart beating, a more rapid pulse, dry mouth and a feeling of tightening of facial skin. The dosage of the beta-blocker is generally lower than for other medical conditions and the heart rate needs to be monitored to avoid too slow a pulse. Patients with peripheral vascular disease or asthma may need to avoid these treatments.

Rosacea patients may also experience “dry flushing,” which is redness without concomitant sweating. Niacin, alcohol and some medications may cause this kind of flushing. Beyond avoidance of such trigger factors, in severe cases specific treatment such as aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for niacin flushing may be prescribed to help control this type of flushing.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Previous

Return to Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT)