Omega 3 and Omega 6 vs Rosacea

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Omega 3 and Omega 6 vs Rosacea

Postby URPinned » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:44 am

Has anyone tried omega supplements or increased their fish intake to see if it lessons the effects of rosacea?
URPinned
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Omega 3 and Omega 6 vs Rosacea

Postby Quiller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:05 am

URPinned wrote:Has anyone tried omega supplements or increased their fish intake to see if it lessons the effects of rosacea?

It's supposed to be antiinflammatory, but I doubt any decrease in erythema would be noticeable immediately. It's a long-term type of supplement.

Its main benefits are as an antidepressant and to fight atherosclerosis. Cpn infection (a possible rosacea trigger) increases risk for atherosclerosis.

Personally I think everyone (rosaceans included) should take fish oil, if there are no adverse reactions to it.
KNOWLEDGE = POWER
Quiller
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Unless you eat a lot of oily fish Omega supplements are certainly a good thing to take anyway even without having Rosacea so I wouldn't hesitate.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby candy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:13 am

I tried omega 3 for 4/5 months but I didn't have any improve with my rosacea... (speechless)
candy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby paleo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:07 am

Yes, I've experimented extensively with diet and can report that Omega3/Omega6 balance makes a big difference.

Actually, I eat a 400g tin of salmon every morning for breakfast (with fruit salad), and then take extra fish oil at night.
I know that will sound very extreme - but I took it to extremes because I was getting results.

I eat meat, fish, fruit and vegetables. That's it. No grains, no dairy, as I found cutting out these foods reduced inflamation. I also avoid eggs, because hens are fed on grains and consequently there is a lot of Omega6 in their eggs.
(That explains the salmon for breakfast - if you don't eat grains dairy or egs, what do you have for breakfast?)

The theory here is the I cut out all foods that contain omega6 - grains, nuts and legumes (and eggs) and eats lots of salmon, to get omega3's

I only eat grass-fed beef because grain fed beef contains omega6 PUFAs. Yes, that IS expensive.

As a result, I only have a problem with Rosacea when I get sick or run-down. I found this board looking for info on IPL or PDT, since I figure that my face is that close to normal now-days that a cosmetic treatment to get rid of the visable capillaries, scars etc would get me to "normal".
Facial redness around the nose and cheeks is normally noticable only under florescent lights.

So yes, omega3 and fish oil help. I also recommend cod liver oil capsules for the vitamin A and D, that helps too.

Some people may have bad stories about red meat, but I've found that as I ate more red meat my skin got better - possibly because it is a very good source of zinc. Possibly lysine is an issue too.

I also expect that part of the improvement comes from moving to a low GI diet.

Fish oil is really a no-brainer - everyone should take it, even if you have no obvious medical conditions.
paleo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Foods & Diet